Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2010, 08:31 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K20D Demand Waning?

I was considering selling my K20D kit and moving up to a K-7. In trying to assess its value, I've been looking at K20Ds for sale in The Marketplace and have found that there are several that have not sold. There isn't even an inquiry on several of them.

I'd be happy to sell my K20D + kit lens + 2 new extra batteries + Katz Eye for $600 knowing I can get a K-7 Body + Extra Batteries + Katz Eye for $1100 because I have $500 to throw at it, but I can't go higher than that. I'd get body only because I have a 16-50mm DA*. May be we have seen the last of the $500 K20's.

08-01-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I got my K7 body for 800 flat from Buy Dig about a month ago, if you stick it out a little longer you'll be able to get a K7 for way less, even with the accessories I couldn't imagine you having to buy a K7 for that much.
08-01-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
I got my K7 body for 800 flat from Buy Dig about a month ago, if you stick it out a little longer you'll be able to get a K7 for way less, even with the accessories I couldn't imagine you having to buy a K7 for that much.
You won't get it for that with a Katzeye focusing screen.

I think at $600 the package offered would sell.

08-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
I was considering selling my K20D kit and moving up to a K-7. In trying to assess its value, I've been looking at K20Ds for sale in The Marketplace and have found that there are several that have not sold. There isn't even an inquiry on several of them.

I'd be happy to sell my K20D + kit lens + 2 new extra batteries + Katz Eye for $600 knowing I can get a K-7 Body + Extra Batteries + Katz Eye for $1100 because I have $500 to throw at it, but I can't go higher than that. I'd get body only because I have a 16-50mm DA*. May be we have seen the last of the $500 K20's.
I was considering buying a used K20D, but with a new K-x with 18-55 kit around $500, I couldn't justify it at the prices being asked.

08-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I was going by the B&H body only price of $894, plus tax herein NY is another $80, 2 batteries is another $100 with tax included and a Katz Eye is $100. After a bit of searching around I did see you can get a K-7 for a little less than $800 (Amazon has it for $792, but everywhere else I looked has it over $800)
08-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
The problem with waiting for the K-7 to drop in price is that the K20 will too, so as long as the spread is right, I don't really care too much about the overall price on the K-7. I suppose I could skip the Katz-Eye on the K-7 for now, but I really like the split prism. I think the habit of using it is now hard coded from the K-1000 days.
08-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I wasn't aware of how expensive focusing screens were, but still you should still be able to come out well under 1100 of you buy out of state right now at this very moment, buying from Amazon isn't much of a risk

Especially if you have a Prime membership then you can get free two day shipping and send it back if there's a problem and not be out a penny since they pay for return ground shipping on defective products

08-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I guess I'm going to rain on the parade a little bit about that price. That is what I paid for the K20d more than a year ago when the K-7 was announced. Of couse, I did not get a Katzeye screen with it, but you have to figure that the vast majority of the K20d bodies sold do not have aftermarket screens and a minority of those with aftermarket screens felt the Katzeye was worth the money. So it is only a smaller subset of your purchasers that will feel that screen is worth the money. You may sell it, but it will take a lot longer.

It reminds me a little like of car I sold about ten years ago where I had put about $5,000 into the sound system. As a used car, it really did not help me sell it for any more money.
08-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
or $30,000 on a swimming pool that makes the group of potential buyers smaller.

I think I have made a decision to stay with the k20 and be satisfied with it. The K-7 is not an earth-shattering upgrade and maybe I am better off saving up for a DA* 50-135. Or maybe just buy a K-x body to use when I need a smaller package or high iso performance.

When I bought it, the K-7 was about to come out and the retailer I bought it from had one K20D in stock, so they discounted it and threw in a 3 year pentax extended warranty to clear it out, so it is covered for another 20 months.
08-03-2010, 05:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GregK8 Quote
or $30,000 on a swimming pool that makes the group of potential buyers smaller.

I think I have made a decision to stay with the k20 and be satisfied with it. The K-7 is not an earth-shattering upgrade and maybe I am better off saving up for a DA* 50-135. Or maybe just buy a K-x body to use when I need a smaller package or high iso performance.

When I bought it, the K-7 was about to come out and the retailer I bought it from had one K20D in stock, so they discounted it and threw in a 3 year pentax extended warranty to clear it out, so it is covered for another 20 months.
I did something similar, and picked up a K-x this year. I do have to say that if they put a sensor in the svelt and sturdy K-7 body with the capabilities of the K-x....
08-03-2010, 06:46 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I did something similar, and picked up a K-x this year. I do have to say that if they put a sensor in the svelt and sturdy K-7 body with the capabilities of the K-x....
People will still find something to complain about.....