Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 06:05 AM   #1

How to switch off pop-up flash on K7?

There seems to be no setting in the flash menu for switching off the the built-in pop-up flash on the K7 - is this because it only works when it has been popped up with the flash button? What settings should I make in the menu if I don't want to use it?

Doing some available light shots at a live music event, the flash accidentally got popped up on a couple of occasions without my noticing and fired.

Andy

08-02-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hmmm - as far as I know it doesn't 'pop' open unless you touch the button telling it to, certainly that's the way mine behaves...?
08-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
I did touch the button - accidentally! I assumed the button was simply a mechanical lock to hold the flash down but I guess it must also be the flash on/off switch too
08-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That doesn't make any sense. There has to be a command to turn off auto pop-up.

The k-x has it.

I have mine set so it only flashes when I manually raise it.

08-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

i guess you could use some tape to tape the flash down in situations where you definitely won't be using it. then accidentally hitting the flash button won't cause the flash to pop up.
08-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

If the K-7 flash is popped-up, it will fire. The only way to fully turn it off is to close it down.

However, you could diminish its impact by setting your K-7 to Wireless flash mode with Custom setting 31 "Flash in wireless mode" set to "Off".
08-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Yep just checked the flash menu, there is no option to actually turn it off - it doesn't auto pop up though, so will only fire when open - which you have to do yourself! If you want the flash open but don't want it to fire, Darren's suggestion is possibly a work-around, however wouldn't it still fire the pre-flash for wireless communication?
08-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Yep just checked the flash menu, there is no option to actually turn it off - it doesn't auto pop up though, so will only fire when open - which you have to do yourself! If you want the flash open but don't want it to fire, Darren's suggestion is possibly a work-around, however wouldn't it still fire the pre-flash for wireless communication?
See above:

Of course it will pop up automatically if it needs the light, and if you want it to do that. Otherwise, it won't.

But if you manually pop it, it will always fire.

08-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by andyt22 Quote
There seems to be no setting in the flash menu for switching off the the built-in pop-up flash on the K7 - is this because it only works when it has been popped up with the flash button? What settings should I make in the menu if I don't want to use it?

Doing some available light shots at a live music event, the flash accidentally got popped up on a couple of occasions without my noticing and fired.

Andy
If you don't want to use the flash, don't turn it on. Some of this stuff you have to think through for yourself.
08-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Of course it will pop up automatically if it needs the light, and if you want it to do that. Otherwise, it won't.
That is true of the K-m and K-x (at least in Green mode), but not of the K-7 (nor the K10D or K20D before it).
08-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
That is true of the K-m and K-x (at least in Green mode), but not of the K-7 (nor the K10D or K20D before it).
So there's no auto pop-up feature at all on the K7 in P, Av or Tv modes?

Last edited by Ira; 08-02-2010 at 11:54 AM.
08-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I doubt it, my k20d flash never popped up unless I pressed the button, I expect my K7 to be the same.
08-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian

So there's no auto pop-up feature at all on the K7 in P, Av or Tv modes?
No. The designers rightly assumed that the user would want some control over the flash. It was the same with my old Canon S2 (and all its subsequent siblings).
08-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
No. The designers rightly assumed that the user would want some control over the flash. It was the same with my old Canon S2 (and all its subsequent siblings).
I have that control with my k-x, with the ability to NOT have it pop up automatically if I don't want.

So I think the K-x designers rightly assumed something better.
08-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I have that control with my k-x, with the ability to NOT have it pop up automatically if I don't want.

So I think the K-x designers rightly assumed something better.
Actually, none of us is wrong here, but your point I would have to say is 'more right!' I guess it is a designer assumption that K7 users would be more apt to know when a flash is needed (or, unwanted), but having the option for on/off in the menu is just as easy to do as any of the other hundred custom functions are to set!