Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 06:05 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Londin, England
Posts: 2
How to switch off pop-up flash on K7?

There seems to be no setting in the flash menu for switching off the the built-in pop-up flash on the K7 - is this because it only works when it has been popped up with the flash button? What settings should I make in the menu if I don't want to use it?

Doing some available light shots at a live music event, the flash accidentally got popped up on a couple of occasions without my noticing and fired.

Andy

08-02-2010, 06:26 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Nass's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The British Isles
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,213
Hmmm - as far as I know it doesn't 'pop' open unless you touch the button telling it to, certainly that's the way mine behaves...?
08-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Londin, England
Posts: 2
Original Poster
I did touch the button - accidentally! I assumed the button was simply a mechanical lock to hold the flash down but I guess it must also be the flash on/off switch too
08-02-2010, 07:29 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,218
That doesn't make any sense. There has to be a command to turn off auto pop-up.

The k-x has it.

I have mine set so it only flashes when I manually raise it.

08-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member
darrenleow's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Chicago
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 541
i guess you could use some tape to tape the flash down in situations where you definitely won't be using it. then accidentally hitting the flash button won't cause the flash to pop up.
08-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member
RBellavance's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Near Montréal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,716
If the K-7 flash is popped-up, it will fire. The only way to fully turn it off is to close it down.

However, you could diminish its impact by setting your K-7 to Wireless flash mode with Custom setting 31 "Flash in wireless mode" set to "Off".
08-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
Yep just checked the flash menu, there is no option to actually turn it off - it doesn't auto pop up though, so will only fire when open - which you have to do yourself! If you want the flash open but don't want it to fire, Darren's suggestion is possibly a work-around, however wouldn't it still fire the pre-flash for wireless communication?
08-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,218
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Yep just checked the flash menu, there is no option to actually turn it off - it doesn't auto pop up though, so will only fire when open - which you have to do yourself! If you want the flash open but don't want it to fire, Darren's suggestion is possibly a work-around, however wouldn't it still fire the pre-flash for wireless communication?
See above:

Of course it will pop up automatically if it needs the light, and if you want it to do that. Otherwise, it won't.

But if you manually pop it, it will always fire.

08-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Wheatfield's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The wheatfields of Canada
Posts: 10,043
QuoteOriginally posted by andyt22 Quote
There seems to be no setting in the flash menu for switching off the the built-in pop-up flash on the K7 - is this because it only works when it has been popped up with the flash button? What settings should I make in the menu if I don't want to use it?

Doing some available light shots at a live music event, the flash accidentally got popped up on a couple of occasions without my noticing and fired.

Andy
If you don't want to use the flash, don't turn it on. Some of this stuff you have to think through for yourself.
08-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #10
Veteran Member
RBellavance's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Near Montréal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,716
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Of course it will pop up automatically if it needs the light, and if you want it to do that. Otherwise, it won't.
That is true of the K-m and K-x (at least in Green mode), but not of the K-7 (nor the K10D or K20D before it).
08-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,218
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
That is true of the K-m and K-x (at least in Green mode), but not of the K-7 (nor the K10D or K20D before it).
So there's no auto pop-up feature at all on the K7 in P, Av or Tv modes?

Last edited by Ira; 08-02-2010 at 11:54 AM.
08-02-2010, 11:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
I doubt it, my k20d flash never popped up unless I pressed the button, I expect my K7 to be the same.
08-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,661
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
So there's no auto pop-up feature at all on the K7 in P, Av or Tv modes?
No. The designers rightly assumed that the user would want some control over the flash. It was the same with my old Canon S2 (and all its subsequent siblings).
08-02-2010, 11:59 AM   #14
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,218
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
No. The designers rightly assumed that the user would want some control over the flash. It was the same with my old Canon S2 (and all its subsequent siblings).
I have that control with my k-x, with the ability to NOT have it pop up automatically if I don't want.

So I think the K-x designers rightly assumed something better.
08-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,869
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I have that control with my k-x, with the ability to NOT have it pop up automatically if I don't want.

So I think the K-x designers rightly assumed something better.
Actually, none of us is wrong here, but your point I would have to say is 'more right!' I guess it is a designer assumption that K7 users would be more apt to know when a flash is needed (or, unwanted), but having the option for on/off in the menu is just as easy to do as any of the other hundred custom functions are to set!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, flash, menu, photography, pop-up, pop-up flash
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! KX Pop-up Flash TAP Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 05-26-2010 01:06 PM
K7 pop up flash @#%! ordinaryimages Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 04-05-2010 02:55 PM
K2000 - Pop up flash will not pop up. tkindred Pentax DSLR Discussion 6 08-17-2009 08:54 AM
Pop-up flash diffuser? lapeen Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 16 09-21-2007 02:44 PM
Pop-up flash diffuser? lapeen Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 1 09-19-2007 01:46 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:58 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top