Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clim920 Quote
Hmmm, d5000 grip is 39.99 with 2x EN-EL9a... I am not sure because I go to some local shops and these guys are always, ALWAYS saying pentax doesn't even come close to canon/nikon.They never explain why so It's difficult to decide. I love big dslrs, Oddly enough when there bigger I get this feeling it can do so much more(Weird I know).Also in my opinion weight = better hand held stability... I am so LOST!
Sounds like you have already made up your mind about the D5000. If you want a bigger DSLR and don't want the K-7 then the D5000 is prob right for you.

08-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks guys, I have decided with the kx for the fact that imo performance/price outdoes ergonomics.

Kx seems to have way way better low light shots. Thanks again!
08-03-2010, 10:27 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Thanks guys, I have decided with the kx for the fact that imo performance/price outdoes ergonomics.

Kx seems to have way way better low light shots. Thanks again!
Good choice, go get some awesome primes!
08-03-2010, 06:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I say you should have gone with the Nikon, its essentially a D90 and the main features are better for your skate shooting, you won't need IS as much as you'll be panning most of your shots, IS is good when you have huge tele lenses. The 5000 gives you that tilt screen good for getting low or high angles, it also has better focusing for moving subjects these are just some of the advantages it has in this situation over the Kx.
Nikon D5000 Key Features
12.9 megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor (effective pixels: 12.3 million)
2.7" tilt and swivel LCD monitor (230,000 dots)
Movie capture at up to 1280 x 720 (720p) 24 fps with mono sound
Live View with contrast-detect AF, face detection and subject tracking
Image sensor cleaning (sensor shake)
11 AF points (with 3D tracking)
IS0 200-3200 range (100-6400 expanded)
4 frames per second continuous shooting (buffer: 7 RAW, 25 JPEG fine, 100 JPEG Normal)
Expeed image processing engine
Extensive in-camera retouching including raw development and straightening
Connector for optional GPS unit (fits on hot shoe)
New battery with increased capacity
72 thumbnail and calendar view in playback

08-04-2010, 01:32 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
I say you should have gone with the Nikon, its essentially a D90 and the main features are better for your skate shooting, you won't need IS as much as you'll be panning most of your shots, IS is good when you have huge tele lenses. The 5000 gives you that tilt screen good for getting low or high angles, it also has better focusing for moving subjects these are just some of the advantages it has in this situation over the Kx.
Nikon D5000 Key Features
4 frames per second continuous shooting (buffer: 7 RAW, 25 JPEG fine, 100 JPEG Normal)
Omg no don't do this to me now ARGH! More opinions?
08-04-2010, 01:52 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clicker Quote
Nikon D5000 Key Features
Omg no don't do this to me now ARGH! More opinions?
12.9 megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor (effective pixels: 12.3 million) - Kx has it
2.7" tilt and swivel LCD monitor (230,000 dots) - Awesome feature, definitely wished it was on the Kx and the K7, I'd pay extra for it, a lot extra. Awesome feature
Movie capture at up to 1280 x 720 (720p) 24 fps with mono sound - Kx has it
Live View with contrast-detect AF, face detection and subject tracking - Kx has it
Image sensor cleaning (sensor shake) - Kx has it
11 AF points (with 3D tracking) - Kx has it
IS0 200-3200 range (100-6400 expanded) - Kx has it
4 frames per second continuous shooting (buffer: 7 RAW, 25 JPEG fine, 100 JPEG Normal) - Kx beats FPS by .7 frames per second, Nikon's buffer smokes the Kx though
Expeed image processing engine - Kx has a Prime II engine, do the names matter?
Extensive in-camera retouching including raw development and straightening- Kx has it
Connector for optional GPS unit (fits on hot shoe) - Aftermarket universal GPS units
New battery with increased capacity- Kx has AA's which are infinitely available, 1000 shots per charge easy
72 thumbnail and calendar view in playback Not very relevant to the actual camera performance but cool anyway

Feature-wise they are both great cameras, beating out and losing to each other in different aspects.

Every argument for the Kx can be rebutted with an argument for the D5000, every argument for the D5000 can be rebutted with with an argument for the Kx. At a certain point you're just going to have to choose and start taking pictures.

The differences really wont be earth shattering since they are very very similar. I still prefer the Kx, but at the end of they both take pictures. There's endless pros and cons of each, with implications you haven't even begun to think about like lenses and third party accessories but you're probably going to get an ulcer going back and forth endlessly.

The easiest thing, go with the one you like. Seriously, screw logic, if you buy something you like you will be way happier and not have to grow to like it. Recently I had 500 to spend on a lens, I liked the DA 15 but logic told me to get a Sigma 10-20mm, well turns out I still preferred the DA 15 after playing around with the Sigma for a little while, and I needed something I liked if I was going to drop that much on it.

You'll feel better if you get what you crave, even if it defies logic to some extent, that's also how I picked my Kx. I wanted a white DSLR! and I got it and was thrilled with it. Even if I got a rebel or a Nikon and had access to cheap Nikon/Canon optics I probably would have always wished in the back of my mind that I got the Kx because it was white, it was sweet! and I liked it.

Just remember the one truly unique and superior feature of the Kx is the outstanding low light performance, it's really set apart by it.
08-04-2010, 03:19 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
12.9 megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor (effective pixels: 12.3 million) - Kx has it
2.7" tilt and swivel LCD monitor (230,000 dots) - Awesome feature, definitely wished it was on the Kx and the K7, I'd pay extra for it, a lot extra. Awesome feature
Movie capture at up to 1280 x 720 (720p) 24 fps with mono sound - Kx has it
Live View with contrast-detect AF, face detection and subject tracking - Kx has it
Image sensor cleaning (sensor shake) - Kx has it
11 AF points (with 3D tracking) - Kx has it
IS0 200-3200 range (100-6400 expanded) - Kx has it
4 frames per second continuous shooting (buffer: 7 RAW, 25 JPEG fine, 100 JPEG Normal) - Kx beats FPS by .7 frames per second, Nikon's buffer smokes the Kx though
Expeed image processing engine - Kx has a Prime II engine, do the names matter?
Extensive in-camera retouching including raw development and straightening- Kx has it
Connector for optional GPS unit (fits on hot shoe) - Aftermarket universal GPS units
New battery with increased capacity- Kx has AA's which are infinitely available, 1000 shots per charge easy
72 thumbnail and calendar view in playback Not very relevant to the actual camera performance but cool anyway

Feature-wise they are both great cameras, beating out and losing to each other in different aspects.

Every argument for the Kx can be rebutted with an argument for the D5000, every argument for the D5000 can be rebutted with with an argument for the Kx. At a certain point you're just going to have to choose and start taking pictures.

The differences really wont be earth shattering since they are very very similar. I still prefer the Kx, but at the end of they both take pictures. There's endless pros and cons of each, with implications you haven't even begun to think about like lenses and third party accessories but you're probably going to get an ulcer going back and forth endlessly.

The easiest thing, go with the one you like. Seriously, screw logic, if you buy something you like you will be way happier and not have to grow to like it. Recently I had 500 to spend on a lens, I liked the DA 15 but logic told me to get a Sigma 10-20mm, well turns out I still preferred the DA 15 after playing around with the Sigma for a little while, and I needed something I liked if I was going to drop that much on it.

You'll feel better if you get what you crave, even if it defies logic to some extent, that's also how I picked my Kx. I wanted a white DSLR! and I got it and was thrilled with it. Even if I got a rebel or a Nikon and had access to cheap Nikon/Canon optics I probably would have always wished in the back of my mind that I got the Kx because it was white, it was sweet! and I liked it.

Just remember the one truly unique and superior feature of the Kx is the outstanding low light performance, it's really set apart by it.
See issue is I want the kx, but everyone besides you guys(I am on 3 other forums and Everyone else I have asked In person shops/friends/pros etc) Tells me to get d5000. It's hard to tell if there just bias or serious. On paper it's kx totally but I get told otherwise, I'm so torn in between.

08-04-2010, 03:22 AM   #23
Veteran Member

You really shouldn't have to talk yourself into it, think of which one you're trying to talk yourself into buying, and buy the other one
08-04-2010, 03:26 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
You really shouldn't have to talk yourself into it, think of which one you're trying to talk yourself into buying, and buy the other one

Hmmmm, kx it is NOW NO ONE CHANGE MY FRACKING MIND!

Thank's by the way Retro
08-04-2010, 05:13 AM   #25
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Difficult decisions can be simplified by pulling petals from a daisy, i.e. Nikon, Pentax, Nikon, Pentax, Nikon, Pentax...
08-04-2010, 08:43 AM   #26
Veteran Member

See issue is I want the kx, but everyone besides you guys(I am on 3 other forums and Everyone else I have asked In person shops/friends/pros etc) Tells me to get d5000.
That's simply because most people are not experienced with Pentax and don't realize just how good their cameras are, so they assume only a Nikon or Canon could possibly be satisfactory.
08-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Difficult decisions can be simplified by pulling petals from a daisy, i.e. Nikon, Pentax, Nikon, Pentax, Nikon, Pentax...
So very true
08-04-2010, 09:15 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I never do that. Easy Left vs. Right decisions I make in 0.1 seconds. It's Left every time!

I got a K-x, no doubts about it (had it a week). The tilting screen would be nice, and the Sony A330 has it too, but the K-x has it in features, running away. I have big hands, but my K-x feels fine in them. I know I'd get used to the ergonomics of any of these cameras. Personally, I really like the AA support. I dislike rechargable Li-ions, but my AA eating P&S used to drive me nuts turning off unexpectedly. I've been running a set of eneloops for a week in the K-x, taken almost 20 minutes of HD video + ~100 5.5MB shots and the batteries are still going strong.
08-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #29
Veteran Member

These previous threads might be helpful....

K-x over D5000. Am I wrong?

K-x vs T1i (500D) vs D5000 ?
08-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #30
Veteran Member

you read deep into my post The Kx is probably the best "entry" level camera sold right now, especially when they priced it right, the colour i;m not sure about lol