Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 06:31 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax kx vs Nikon D5000

Okay so both same price with stock 18-55mm Lens.

I was all on board with kx till I felt the camera compared to the d5000 in stores, D5000 felt nice sturdy and strong, kx felt very Plasticy.

And I love the battery grip for the d5000 (I have huge hands)

As for what I do, camcorder is not an option here -

I film skateboarding/Downhill biking on occasion.

I like to photograph outdoors, And decent amount of night photography aswell.

Help me! (No bias please!)

Also open to other DSLRS.

08-02-2010, 06:40 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I was bought my K-x it was down to the K-x and D5000. The D5000 was $200 more than the K-x at the time. What sold me on the K-x was the built in AF motor. The lack of an AF motor in the low end Nikons was a deal killer for me. The ability of the K-x to use any K-Mount lens, manual or auto, was a big selling point. Another selling point for the K-x was the AA batteries. It's nice to know that you can get replacement batteries at just about any store in the world.

All consumer DSLR's are made of plastic and feel "plasticy". I don't miss a battery grip because I don't have big hands.
08-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #3

I have huge hands too (6'4"), but I like the K-x ergonomics despite that. I also like the fact that I can carry it in most any bag I take on a day out. I chose the K-x over the D5000 for the features and lens support ultimately. The D5000 feels nice, but I wouldn't get a camera on that aspect alone (unless my hands have serious problems). Go grab a Rebel if the camera weight and feel of the K-x makes you nervous.
08-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clim920 Quote

This statement sounds like you may benefit from the weather sealing and overall rugged build of the K-7. Amazon has the K-7 with the sealed 18-55mm kit lens from their warehouse deals under $800. This is obviously above the two other models in price, but for those stated activities it might be worth it to scrimp, save and scrounge up the difference. You can also pick up a non-oem grip with a couple extra batteries on ebay for $70 bucks (haven't looked but am guessing the d5000 grip is more than that!).

I would also suggest the K20d, but I think your camcorder comment indicates you are looking for video capability as well - if not, the K20d can be found used for the price of the K-x and d5000 new (including mine in the marketplace, end shameless plug)

08-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #5

I was all on board with kx till I felt the camera compared to the d5000 in stores, D5000 felt nice sturdy and strong, kx felt very Plasticy.

I have the K-X and big hands and love it. It is a small design but the buttons and controls are very easy to operate. I held a D5000 the other day and it seemed like a cheaper build than then the K-X.

Have you priced out lenses? The Nikon glass seems more expensive since the IS is in the lens instead of the body.

If you take pictures at night, what about the higher ISO in the D5000, how does it compare with the K-X?
08-02-2010, 08:25 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
This statement sounds like you may benefit from the weather sealing and overall rugged build of the K-7. Amazon has the K-7 with the sealed 18-55mm kit lens from their warehouse deals under $800. This is obviously above the two other models in price, but for those stated activities it might be worth it to scrimp, save and scrounge up the difference. You can also pick up a non-oem grip with a couple extra batteries on ebay for $70 bucks (haven't looked but am guessing the d5000 grip is more than that!).

I would also suggest the K20d, but I think your camcorder comment indicates you are looking for video capability as well - if not, the K20d can be found used for the price of the K-x and d5000 new (including mine in the marketplace, end shameless plug)
Hmmm, d5000 grip is 39.99 with 2x EN-EL9a... I am not sure because I go to some local shops and these guys are always, ALWAYS saying pentax doesn't even come close to canon/nikon.They never explain why so It's difficult to decide. I love big dslrs, Oddly enough when there bigger I get this feeling it can do so much more(Weird I know).Also in my opinion weight = better hand held stability... I am so LOST!
08-02-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

You're at a Pentax forum, you can't expect completely unbiased opinions If the D5000 obviously outdid the K-x for whatever your needs would be, people might encourage you to go with the D5000. However, it seems like the immediate winner is not completely clear here.

Will you be using flash for night photography? If not, no question about it, you should go for the K-x, whose low-light capabilities are pretty much unrivaled in the current consumer DSLR market.

Shake reduction (Pentax term) / vibration reduction (Nikon term) / image stabilization (Canon) are all the same thing, but Pentax implements it in the camera body, whereas the other two implement it in lenses, which means that stabilized lenses for those brands will cost more. With Pentax lenses, every lens that you can mount is stabilized. Stabilization will also be important if you can't be bothered with flash in night photography.

Also, just because you photograph outdoors doesn't necessarily mean you need the weathersealing of the K-7, which might be outside your price range since you're looking at entry-level. A bit of common sense will keep your camera safe, like don't take pictures in hurricanes or sandstorms.

If bigger size, build quality (can't comment, have never handled either camera), and heavier weight are really important factors for you, get what you need to get.

08-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmmm, d5000 grip is 39.99 with 2x EN-EL9a... I am not sure because I go to some local shops and these guys are always, ALWAYS saying pentax doesn't even come close to canon/nikon.They never explain why so It's difficult to decide. I love big dslrs, Oddly enough when there bigger I get this feeling it can do so much more(Weird I know).Also in my opinion weight = better hand held stability... I am so LOST!
Never listen to a salesman at a local shop. They are only trying to sell you what will make them the most money. Most local shops will deny any knowledge of Pentax or tell you they are going out of business. This has been going on for 30 years. The D5000 and the K-x both have the exact same sensor. It all comes down to which camera has the features you are looking for. To me the tilt/swivel LCD and HDMI output were overshadowed by the lack of backward lens compatibility and lack of in body shake reduction.
08-02-2010, 09:59 AM   #9

I was in your shoes several months back. For me, it came down to in-body stabilization and price. By the time I got the D5000 and the corresponding lenses, it was going to be quite a bit more. Also, (and I could be wrong here) the D5000 doesn't have exposure bracketing. I wanted to have that option if needed.

If you ask this question on a Nikon forum, I'm going to bet most of the suggestions will be towards the D5000. You will just need to weigh the pros and cons of each. Good luck.
08-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I recently found a somewhat useful website for general comparisons:

Compare the Nikon D5000 vs Pentax K-x - Snapsort

Lastly, the grip on the D5000 sucks.
08-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Whereas I've always shot Pentax SLR's - I am by no means a fanboy. Prior to me buying the K-x. I had the D5000, and the Canon Rebel. I played with all three for about a week. Weighed all the features and advantages and disadvantages of each. Bottom line the K-x smokes then all in all catagories....... lock stock and two smokin' barrels
08-02-2010, 11:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Ok, is there even an oem grip for the d5000 (honest question, I couldn't find one)? The only ones I could find were knock offs, with a usb cable hanging out the back to attach to the connector for the shutter release (meaning all you get is shutter release, no dials or other controls anyway - the knockoffs for the K-7 have all functions including dials and multiple controls, and only lack weather seals, all for $50-70 depending on how many extra batteries you want). Is there an OEM grip? Because dealing with cables hanging out and open hinged doors is not going to be practical, especially out in the elements (as you've indicated you'll be taking your camera!).

I still think that saving up for the K-7 and 18-55mm WR (which would make a full weather sealed camera and lens) is your best bet and worth the extra investment. If that is absolutely not an option, I will also second that even though the Kx is small, the grip is substantial and comfortable, and I have big hands as well (don't own one now, but had one for 6 months, loved it!).
08-02-2010, 11:25 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I go to some local shops and these guys are always, ALWAYS saying pentax doesn't even come close to canon/nikon.
Do they sell Pentax? If not, that right there explains why they are trying to talk you out of Pentax.
08-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Well it's pretty unanimously agreed on that the Kx has the best low light performance of the current entry level line across all brands, and it gives more (and much more) expensive models a good run for their money, so that covers your night shooting. I had one so I can vouch for that personally

as for the action sports, the K7 is definitely the way to go, you sound like you might appreciate a plank or two and some snow like me too ;-). It's fully sealed and a lot more rugged, don't totally count it out as an option even though it's pricey. The video quality is also better in my opinion

I have no experience with the D5000 but if the battery grip is the clincher I can understand that, but you might end up being slightly underwhelmed by battery grips in general like I am. All the battery grip did for me was tire out my arm and make re-rearrange all my bags to get it to fit. Now have everything geared towards being as small as possible now.

Which color Kx were you thinking of getting? I had the white one and once you put some batteries in it it felt pretty substantial, a lot more solid than my aunts Canon Xt. However when I handled the black one in a store it felt decidedly more flimsy. Placebo, maybe, but no entry level camera is as rugged as the upper weatherproof models and I doubt the D5000 would take a fall any better than the Kx or vice vera

I'm not counting the D5000 out as an option, just make sure you choose it for the right reasons.
08-02-2010, 11:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Also, I am willing to admit the d5000 is just a little on the fugly side. It has the sharp lines of a mid-90's ford taurus. Just sayin! The K-x is lean and nicely trimmed, while the K-7 is ripped in comparison, haha.