Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 10:09 AM   #1

K-x - something on viewfinder?

Okay, I’m not sure I can explain this, but I will try. I recently noticed when looking through the viewfinder I see a pattern that looks like fingerprints. I tried changing lenses and it is still there. I can only see it when the background is light and I focus my eyes on the viewfinder and not on the subject. I really don’t think it is fingerprints because it looks very symmetrical and appears to cover the whole viewfinder (or mirror?). I have not been able to see any of this on photos, so I’m not sure if that means it’s just on the viewfinder.

Has anybody else noticed this? It’s obviously not very noticeable as I had my camera about 6 months before I saw it. Nothing has touched the sensor as I have been very careful when changing lenses.

Any thoughts on what this may be?

Thanks,
Bill M

08-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That would be the viewfinder screen, no need for alarm!
08-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The focusing screen is covered entirely in circular ridges, as you're suggesting. When using a small aperture (typically F6.7 or below), these become extremely visible.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-02-2010, 11:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Note the aperture only matters when using an M42 lens, though - with "regular" lenses for your camera (ie, K-mount), the lens stays at wide open aperture while focusing. But ther pattern does becopme more noticeable in certain types of light, also with certain types of subject, and is usually more noticeable with out of focus than in-focus areas.

Anyhow, these patterns are normal and necessary for a DSLR in order for the focus screen to be able to form an image at all. Some DSLR's have them less prominent (and therefore correspondingly less effective).

08-02-2010, 12:57 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the info!