Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 58 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #136
Banned

Photos: Albums
The Pentax advantage over Canon/Nikon is that they offer higher end APS bodies and lenses, and features like SR and WR. Canon/Nikon APS bodies have only recently become more competitive, but Pentax still has the advantage that their lens lineup is APS oriented.

03-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Many Canon wedding pros seem to be switching from FF 5D2 > crop 7D
That's an interesting comment because I had my first 'Pro' shoot yesterday as back-up shooter to a Canon Pro (using a 7D, 50D and 40D) and when the subject of Weddings came up with an amateur posing the question he said, in unequivocal tones, 5DII over the 7D every day of the week. You need wide not long.
03-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Frogfish Quote
That's an interesting comment because I had my first 'Pro' shoot yesterday as back-up shooter to a Canon Pro (using a 7D, 50D and 40D) and when the subject of Weddings came up with an amateur posing the question he said, in unequivocal tones, 5DII over the 7D every day of the week. You need wide not long.
True, you don't need a 200mm for most wedding shots. I don't see a lot of wedding shots with less than 20mm either, probaby nice fot the "in the limo" group shot.

I would think the better high iso images and the ability to get a shallower DOF when desired would be the attractors. One thing in favor of the 7D would be AF for party shots on the dance floor and the like.
03-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #139
Veteran Member

Very true... trust me, I used to crave for long lens and envy those who have those big clunky lens, not anymore. Once a seasoned photog told me the same thing, if you are still going for big zooms and long lens, you are not there yet.

03-13-2011, 02:38 PM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was at Seaworld last month shooting the wife and her friend
in the dolphin encounter. You get into wetsuits and get in the water
with the dolphins. They have "pros" in there taking pics to sell
you a DVD after. I was outside shooting. After it was over,
one of the "pros" walked by I said that he had the advantage
of a better location. Without stopping he said " Yeah, and a
better camera too." JERK!
Except for the fact I had to shoot into the sun, my stuff was
As good or better than his. Still pisses me off tho
03-14-2011, 11:13 AM   #141
Veteran Member

Well, 'need' and 'want' are different things there. For the big group shots, sometimes you've just got to go wide, (And bigger format is very good even if you can get back: when those crowds get big, each person isn't taking up a lot of frame area,) but it's better if you don't have to, even in 6x7 format. FOV isn't as much of an issue between the formats there as you'd think, till you're in real close quarters.

As for smaller glass, with Pentax you can have the FOV in a small lens, (especially compared to the other brands) There's other things at play, though.
03-15-2011, 04:05 AM   #142
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
The Pentax advantage over Canon/Nikon is that they offer higher end APS bodies and lenses, and features like SR and WR. Canon/Nikon APS bodies have only recently become more competitive, but Pentax still has the advantage that their lens lineup is APS oriented.
This is either an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on how you look at it, but it is the big difference. Most every other manufacturer out there makes upper end lenses that are designed for 35mm sensor size and then expects the peons to mount them on their (upper end) crop sensor camera.

Nikon and Canon are big enough that they could (if they wanted) produce some nice crop sensor lenses. However, they don't feel threatened by Hoya and they make a lot more profit on full frame cameras.

It is a big difference though. If someone thinks that someday they want full frame, then they probably shouldn't start with Pentax. Sure, there is a 645D out there, but that is a pretty big jump up from the K5.

03-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #143
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dma110 Quote
when he said "better camera", you should had answered, "no it's not". I'm sure he'll be pissed by then.
03-15-2011, 08:52 AM   #144
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
when he said "better camera", you should had answered, "no it's not". I'm sure he'll be pissed by then.
I did'nt know what model he was using. If I had the k-5 then
I would have made a comeback. At that time I was using the
K-x. and did not know how it compared to Nikon. Now that I've
joined the forum, got at lot more ammo to use against the
Canikon snobs. But I guess the best response is just to grin
and know they are just sheeple
03-15-2011, 08:57 AM - 1 Like   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Some people just need a good shot to the yambag.
03-15-2011, 09:19 AM   #146
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Some people just need a good shot to the yambag.
God, I love the people & comments on this forum
03-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #147
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
I wouldn't generalize so much. I went to London in December last year and bumped into a pro shooting with a fullframe Nikon. We talked about photography and it was a really pleasent conversation. No bashing of any manufacturer whatsoever. In fact, he told me "it's not the gear". He was right, as I am now discovering.

Anyway, some people on this forum (or another) might become pros someday as well. Are you saying they will automatically also be bashing Pentax, just because they're a pro then, and that's what pro's do?

In other words: it's not the job. It's the person.
03-15-2011, 10:15 AM   #148
Veteran Member

IMHO this guy wasn't much of a pro, almost uniformly the true pros i come into contact with all know and mostly like pentax but the tool they need is different fro various reasons in many cases. a number have pentax stuff they use (medium format older film cameras and yep the digital as well, just the nikon or canon is more likely to be the main camera
Pro wannabes are another story all together they frequently bash so they can feel more confident of their system choice. they aren't worth expending the energy on
03-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think everyone has heard the phrases “It’s the photographer not the gear” Or “A camera is just a tool”. I have a Canon 5D Mark II and some nice Canon glass but some of my best shots have been taken with a k200d with a Pentax M 50 1.7. That’s what? About $300 worth of camera gear? Any pro is going to realize it’s not the gear. One of my favorite wedding photographers Otto Schulze has a $7000 Nikon but chooses to use a $7000 leica. Even though his Nikon can shoot at a Crazy high ISO and focuses wonderfully he picked up a Leica that can’t shoot above 1600 ISO and and can only focus manually. The point is it’s a tool, who cares what brand you are shooting.
03-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #150
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
This is either an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on how you look at it, but it is the big difference.
It is an advantage for those looking for a high end APS system (body and lenses). Pentax doesn't even compete in FF market, so saying they have a disadvantage there is an understatement. If you want FF, you don't look at Pentax.