Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 58 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #151
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
when he said "better camera", you should had answered, "no it's not". I'm sure he'll be pissed by then.
Or, "perhaps, but I don't need to compensate for micro-genitalia".

03-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
03-15-2011, 11:57 AM   #153
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I hope he doesn't answer back with "come again?"
03-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #154
Veteran Member

*groan*

03-15-2011, 12:53 PM - 4 Likes   #155
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe some of us are just a little sensitive. Pentax have been a little flaky over the last 10 years or so, so maybe that’s what’s put this mindset out there.

I’m sure it matters little what name is on the equipment or what the details of the specifications are. People took great pictures 40 years ago with equipment we would not use as paperweights today.

It reminds me of a really nice day last spring. My son and I were out riding our dirt bikes in a favourite area. We were just taking a break from trying out a new bike my son had just received. Just then a young guy (the Dude) a few years older than my son rolls up on a fairly new Yamaha YZ125 with racing numbers on it. He asks my son why he was riding a Husqvarna 125. He told us all that magazines say the Yamaha is the fastest 125 made. He goes on to tell us he’s been racing Yamahas at the novice and intermediate level without any problems for years and suggests to my son he should consider moving to the Yamaha.

Anyway, the conversation goes on for a few more minutes on how great Yamahas are. The Dude then says this was his first time out at this riding area and asks if we know the trails. My son offers to show him a couple of the loops. They take off on my son’s practice loop. About 17 minutes later they come back. The Dude says that was a cool trail and asks my son if he wants to “step it up”. So off they go again at a faster pace, The Dude in the lead. About 10 minutes later my son pulls up. His usual lap time is just over 9 minutes. So we wait another 5 minutes and then The Dude pulls up. “Hey man, you kinda just, like, disappeared after you blew by me over those rocks, man. What have you done with the motor in that Husky?” I tell him we’ve done nothing, that the bike is brand new and we are just breaking it in. I say that I agree with him, the Yamaha is a more powerful bike. I tell him, however, that according to my stopwatch Pat (my son) was taking it easy. The Dude’s not sure how to take that and asks what times he and Pat had. I told him Pat did 10:13 and he did 15:21. So, a little shocked and still not convinced he asks if he can try out the Husqvarna. Okay, so off they go, Pat on the Yamaha and the dude on the Husky. Result - Pat 9:41 the Dude 16:03. Now The Dude is really visibly perturbed. He suggests Pat and him get on their own bikes and try a real race. So, okay. By this time there are enough heat-cool cycles on my son’s bike so I say, “Pat, let it hang out…”. They roll up to the start line and I give them the old ready-set-go! The race comes to an end some 30 minutes later when my son laps The Dude. Result – Pat’s average lap time 9:11 (3 laps), The Dude’s average lap time 14:53 (2 laps).

Now, the moral here is, it’s not the equipment, it’s who’s using it. You see, The Dude was so busy telling us how great his Yamaha was, he forgot to ask us any pertinent questions. Like who my son was. My son happens to be a national Pro-level rider. He rides Husqvarna because they sponsor him to ride them. The Yamaha is actually a more powerful machine, but that makes little difference in reality.

Snowy Egret - Mrazek Pond, Everglades NP - March 13, 2011
Pentax K7 - Pentax FA* 600/F4
Attached Images

03-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #156
Veteran Member

lmao great story
03-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #157
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
It is an advantage for those looking for a high end APS system (body and lenses). Pentax doesn't even compete in FF market, so saying they have a disadvantage there is an understatement. If you want FF, you don't look at Pentax.
Still, that's no reason to bash Pentax. If Pentax isn't the right choice for a pro (or even for most pro's), it can still be a good choice - and perhaps even the best choice - for some people. And some of them may also be pro's. It's called individuality.

03-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #158
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
Still, that's no reason to bash Pentax.
Absolutely.

But people don't usually bash Pentax because they don't make a FF camera - my guess is that they just don't have any idea about the brand, so they assume it's worse than their well known *on brand.

Always remember Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

03-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BillO Quote
Maybe some of us are just a little sensitive. Pentax have been a little flaky over the last 10 years or so, so maybe that’s what’s put this mindset out there.

I’m sure it matters little what name is on the equipment or what the details of the specifications are. People took great pictures 40 years ago with equipment we would not use as paperweights today.

It reminds me of a really nice day last spring. My son and I were out riding our dirt bikes in a favourite area. We were just taking a break from trying out a new bike my son had just received. Just then a young guy (the Dude) a few years older than my son rolls up on a fairly new Yamaha YZ125 with racing numbers on it. He asks my son why he was riding a Husqvarna 125. He told us all that magazines say the Yamaha is the fastest 125 made. He goes on to tell us he’s been racing Yamahas at the novice and intermediate level without any problems for years and suggests to my son he should consider moving to the Yamaha.

Anyway, the conversation goes on for a few more minutes on how great Yamahas are. The Dude then says this was his first time out at this riding area and asks if we know the trails. My son offers to show him a couple of the loops. They take off on my son’s practice loop. About 17 minutes later they come back. The Dude says that was a cool trail and asks my son if he wants to “step it up”. So off they go again at a faster pace, The Dude in the lead. About 10 minutes later my son pulls up. His usual lap time is just over 9 minutes. So we wait another 5 minutes and then The Dude pulls up. “Hey man, you kinda just, like, disappeared after you blew by me over those rocks, man. What have you done with the motor in that Husky?” I tell him we’ve done nothing, that the bike is brand new and we are just breaking it in. I say that I agree with him, the Yamaha is a more powerful bike. I tell him, however, that according to my stopwatch Pat (my son) was taking it easy. The Dude’s not sure how to take that and asks what times he and Pat had. I told him Pat did 10:13 and he did 15:21. So, a little shocked and still not convinced he asks if he can try out the Husqvarna. Okay, so off they go, Pat on the Yamaha and the dude on the Husky. Result - Pat 9:41 the Dude 16:03. Now The Dude is really visibly perturbed. He suggests Pat and him get on their own bikes and try a real race. So, okay. By this time there are enough heat-cool cycles on my son’s bike so I say, “Pat, let it hang out…”. They roll up to the start line and I give them the old ready-set-go! The race comes to an end some 30 minutes later when my son laps The Dude. Result – Pat’s average lap time 9:11 (3 laps), The Dude’s average lap time 14:53 (2 laps).

Now, the moral here is, it’s not the equipment, it’s who’s using it. You see, The Dude was so busy telling us how great his Yamaha was, he forgot to ask us any pertinent questions. Like who my son was. My son happens to be a national Pro-level rider. He rides Husqvarna because they sponsor him to ride them. The Yamaha is actually a more powerful machine, but that makes little difference in reality.
awesome story! now let's see some photos of your son ripping it up good...
03-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #160
Veteran Member

Snowy Egret - Mrazek Pond, Everglades NP - March 13, 2011
Pentax K7 - Pentax FA* 600/F4

Hahahahaha. That's awesome!
03-15-2011, 06:38 PM   #161
Forum Member

I'll post some more images of my son when I get back home if required. Right now I'm down in southern Florida and have no access to my store images.

Yeah, that was a precious moment. It will ilve long in my memory...

Here's what I got:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo       
03-15-2011, 07:06 PM   #162
Veteran Member

Reminds me of an incident about 40 years back. Down near the bottom the the GrandPrix-FormulaRacing hierarchy is Formula Vee, using 1200cc 40hp VW bug engines. Part of the L.A. County Fairgrounds in Pomona CA were configured by SCCA as a road-race track, and a F-Vee champ was running a few laps, testing a rebuild. A guy showed up with his new stock 'Vette with a 327 c.i. mill, I forget how many horses, and suggested a race. The F-Vee wiped his butt, of course. On a twisty course, skill & agility trumps power & weight.

The parallel: A skillfully-handled Kr can produce better results than a clumsily-handled 5D. Prize-winning photos are shot with Holgas. Those bragging about their hardware are poseurs -- unless they're anti-braggarts, showing off how much they can do with the least gear. Like, maybe I get better shots with my Instamatic than you do with your Hassy. Hey, it happens!

Last edited by RioRico; 03-16-2011 at 01:13 PM.
03-15-2011, 07:32 PM   #163
Forum Member

@RioRico,

You said it.

Like the old saying says, it's not the meat, it's the motion.
03-15-2011, 08:49 PM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, there are is a lot of stuff out there. In my photo classes I teach, to adults, I see Sony, Olympus and yes, I see mostly Canon and Nikon, but my K7 is better than their stuff 90% of the time. Yes, I am teaching beginners, but as far as bang for the buck I see the K7 as a great value. I get the use of every lens Pentax ever made, I have access to some great quality glass now plus the WS lenses, etc.. ANd sadly the people I do see with the higher end Canikons usually have WAY over bought!

Growing up with beafy 35mm cameras, it is also nice to hold a camera with some heft to it, without needing a back brace to work with it!

Additionally, the user interface I have found to be so nicely set up so things like WB, Flash exposure adjustment, etc. are easy to get to without going through numerous menus, one of the faults I feel the Canon's have and many of the Nikons as well. They just don't seem to be as well thought out, and I have to help the students look for these things!

And the Magic Green Button, GREAT IDEA PENTAX, making use of the M and older lenses so easy to accommodate! Plus, I get a PC sync socket for my older potato masher flash (Sunpak).

Some people just can't see past their own paradigm!
03-17-2011, 01:17 AM   #165
Pentaxian

Now, the moral here is, it’s not the equipment, it’s who’s using it.
Of course the user makes a big difference. But given that the "Dude" cannot change into your son the Yamaha is still the better choice for him. Your son was faster with the Yahama as well.

Hence, equipment matters. It cannot turn a mediocre user into a great user but better equipment almost helps every user, no matter their skill level. So what's to say against choosing the best equipment one can afford?