Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2014, 09:50 AM   #196
Pentaxian
mikeSF's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,522
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
This post was from 2010. The pro could even be dead by now.
...
ha! Check the obituaries, you may have finally won the argument.


09-04-2014, 11:53 AM   #197
Pentaxian
MJSfoto1956's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,285
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Did you see the 645z on the cover of Pop Photo on the news stands, I actually bought one. Not a bad write up either.
and this effusive review of the 645z by (professional) Michael Reichman: Pentax 645z In-Depth Review
09-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #198
Pentaxian
ScooterMaxi Jim's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,463
Norm, just wondering did the cover prompt you op buy the magazine - or the camera?!

It just isn't the case that the Spotmatic was the last Pentax camera with a major market impact. Probably no other starter SLR was handled by more photographers than the K1000 - so many were put to use in schools. After the K1000, the ME Super was very competitive in the market. By the time of the Super Program, Pentax had pulled back from marketing and the LX had essentially failed as a flagship against the Canon and Nikon pro bodies. Still, the Super Program was a commercial success for Pentax, and was highly regarded in the reviews. Admittedly, Pentax had begun losing share by that time, but the Super Program slowed the slide for a few years.

It is entirely possible that the 645z will be the most important model introduction in more than a generation. Not to say that it will have major market impact on its own, but its potential stature as a pro camera is very likely to lift the Pentax brand name in ways we haven't seen in a long time. Reichmann isn't the only one who not only counts, but is very much impressed.
09-04-2014, 05:26 PM   #199
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,717
QuoteOriginally posted by ScooterMaxi Jim Quote
Norm, just wondering did the cover prompt you op buy the magazine - or the camera?!

It just isn't the case that the Spotmatic was the last Pentax camera with a major market impact. Probably no other starter SLR was handled by more photographers than the K1000 - so many were put to use in schools. After the K1000, the ME Super was very competitive in the market. By the time of the Super Program, Pentax had pulled back from marketing and the LX had essentially failed as a flagship against the Canon and Nikon pro bodies. Still, the Super Program was a commercial success for Pentax, and was highly regarded in the reviews. Admittedly, Pentax had begun losing share by that time, but the Super Program slowed the slide for a few years.

It is entirely possible that the 645z will be the most important model introduction in more than a generation. Not to say that it will have major market impact on its own, but its potential stature as a pro camera is very likely to lift the Pentax brand name in ways we haven't seen in a long time. Reichmann isn't the only one who not only counts, but is very much impressed.
Both, there were a few articles I liked, but the cover with the camera on it was what sold me.

I personally probably bought 40 K1000s for the various programs I taught, but it wasn't a "wow" camera. It was a "by the time you're done this course with this camera you'll understand everything you need to know" camera.

09-04-2014, 06:53 PM   #200
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,432
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I personally probably bought 40 K1000s for the various programs I taught, but it wasn't a "wow" camera. It was a "by the time you're done this course with this camera you'll understand everything you need to know" camera.
As late as 2003 at my children's High School instructors still opened the Fall semester Art - Photography 1 Class with something akin to that line.
09-04-2014, 07:39 PM   #201
Pentaxian
ScooterMaxi Jim's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,463
Yeah, I have handled my share of K1000s. It was always exciting to come across an SE version with the split prism. No, I wasn't saying this camera had any "wow" to it - the sound of shutter and feel of the cocking mechanism quickly told you that. Inevitably they came with the f/2 lens which wasn't exciting either. However, the camera was key to Pentax staying strong in the market because so many wanted to stick with the brand after that first exposure.
09-04-2014, 09:03 PM   #202
Pentaxian
gmans's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hunter Valley,NSW, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,460
I never had any thing but the K1000 early on 1980 to 1991 it was a Japanese model and was a great camera. Sure the other high end cameras were probably better, but this camera was simple and beautifully made. The lever cock mechanism jammed up (after numerous ski trips and backpacking), put it in for repairs and it was lost in transit somewhere, I paid $450 when i bought it and when the insurace came through for the loss they valued it at $1150.00 . Still wish i had the original though.
09-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #203
Loyal Site Supporter
Pioneer's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Elko, Nevada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,167
I still pack my K1000 SE all over the place. It may not have been a WOW camera but it certainly is a reliable workhorse in any number of circumstances. I have owned several great cameras since I bought that first K1000, but it is still the one I use regularly. It goes everywhere, overseas, hiking, Little League, birthday parties, you name it. I certainly get some interesting looks from some people when I am out photographing.

And that simple 50/2 lens is amazingly sharp, right from f2. I personally consider the current Leica Summicron 50 f2 ASPH to be one of the best lenses ever made but my copy of the SMC Pentax M 50 f2 is right with it from f4 on. Good, clean copies of this lens can be bought day after day on Ebay for $15 or less, I shudder when I see the price the Summicron 50/2 ASPH is going for on BHPhoto. In my opinion it is one of the best lenses Pentax ever built, especially when you consider it was their entry level lens. And when I want something a bit wider, I can hook up my FA 31mm Limited.

There is certainly fancier and faster out there, but I am not too sure there is really anything better...even now.

09-08-2014, 03:44 AM - 1 Like   #204
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: HCMC
Posts: 272
I was never a person who buys anything without checking all the available options based on the most cost efficient product there is... Before buying my first dslr, i was comparing camera to camera specs for almost 6months until the day i bought (or i may say my wife bought for me as i gift haha) my dslr. What made me decide to get a K-X at first was its high iso performance since i love taking pictures and portraits in low-light areas. I was still skeptical on the last minute so i tried to handheld all my other options... nikon and sony (hated canon because when i tried my friends gears it seems i am only holding a plastic toy and that it was bulgy as well, hence never had the urge to get a canon). I need to be comfortable holding my gear for me to get the result that i want. When i tried Sony, it feels more like its canon counterpart, but for Nikon it feels more solid and compact on my hand... The rest is history though when i held the K-X, it seems it was really meant (custom-made) for me. Grip, size on my hand, weight, everything is perfect!!!

Later on ive jump from K-X to K5 and back to KR (because of K5 shutter issues and monetary constraints) but still i managed to stick with Pentax because of its in-body camera shake and the option to find and still use the oldest K lenses available on the planet (these are just the 2 main reasons why i cant let go of Pentax). In the end, ive learned that its not all about the gear... you may have the most advanced gear in the planet but if you dont know how to use it then all those gears are worthless. One more important thing ive learned through the years is that not all who carries a camera were born photographers!!! There's what we call a photographer's eye...and even though this person isn't holding a camera, he/she has already seen a good photograph before he/she even presses a shutter...

People may look down at you when they see a Pentax camera hanging around your neck but dont let their childish behaviors affect you, stand your ground and be confident in what you do. In the end, you're not doing this to please them but you're doing this because you love your kind of photography...
09-08-2014, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #205
cpk
Site Supporter
cpk's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Montreal
Posts: 200
I've posted this story before, but I think it's still apropos. Before you read it, I'm very happy with my current Pentax gear (MX, LX, K-7 (infrared converted), K-5, K-5 II). I still have the original Pentax kit used 30 years ago. The Leicas have been sold and are not missed; they were good in their time.

Back in the early 80s I had a chance to test a Leicaflex side by side
with my Pentax LX. I shot a series of pictures comparing the following
lenses:

Leica 35mm - Pentax-M 28mm f2.8
Leica 50mm - Pentax-M 50mm f4 macro
Leica 135mm - Pentax-M 100mm f2.8

I cannot remember the Leicaflex model or the maximum apertures of
Leica lenses; but they were the ones current at that time. They were
supplied by Leica Canada as part of a promotion to "try a Leica for a
day" In the hopes that one would buy one.

The pictures were taken on Kodachrome 25 for maximum sharpness, and
both cameras were mounted on tripods. The first slide on each roll of
film was a photograph of the other camera. Both films were processed
by Kodak Canada.

When the films were processed and returned uncut in strips, I asked
the son of the owner of the camera store where I dealt, to choose the
Leica slides. He inspected both film strips with a Pentax 20X
magnifier and selected one as being shot by the Leicaflex. I then
asked him which camera was pictured at the front of the strip. It was
the Leicaflex. The pictures he thought were taken by the Leicaflex had
been taken by the Pentax LX. His father, who was a bit of a
Leicaphile, also inspected the film strips and appeared somewhat upset
by the results.

At the time of the tests I used Leica Ms for all of my available-light
work. Therefore, having no need for high-speed lenses, when I
purchased Pentax lenses, they were the slower f2.8 and f4 ones. These
ones, I expect, would be easier to correct. Also the pictures were
taken outside at around f8, rather than wide open.

This was not a definitive test; but it proved to me that, certainly in
some areas, the Pentax lenses could hold their own against some of the
best. I was happy with the results because the circumstances of the
test mirrored the situations in which I expected to use the Pentax and
its lenses, outdoors for architectural and other work.
09-09-2014, 05:07 AM   #206
Pentaxian
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 23,717
QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
I've posted this story before, but I think it's still apropos. Before you read it, I'm very happy with my current Pentax gear (MX, LX, K-7 (infrared converted), K-5, K-5 II). I still have the original Pentax kit used 30 years ago. The Leicas have been sold and are not missed; they were good in their time.

Back in the early 80s I had a chance to test a Leicaflex side by side
with my Pentax LX. I shot a series of pictures comparing the following
lenses:

Leica 35mm - Pentax-M 28mm f2.8
Leica 50mm - Pentax-M 50mm f4 macro
Leica 135mm - Pentax-M 100mm f2.8

I cannot remember the Leicaflex model or the maximum apertures of
Leica lenses; but they were the ones current at that time. They were
supplied by Leica Canada as part of a promotion to "try a Leica for a
day" In the hopes that one would buy one.

The pictures were taken on Kodachrome 25 for maximum sharpness, and
both cameras were mounted on tripods. The first slide on each roll of
film was a photograph of the other camera. Both films were processed
by Kodak Canada.

When the films were processed and returned uncut in strips, I asked
the son of the owner of the camera store where I dealt, to choose the
Leica slides. He inspected both film strips with a Pentax 20X
magnifier and selected one as being shot by the Leicaflex. I then
asked him which camera was pictured at the front of the strip. It was
the Leicaflex. The pictures he thought were taken by the Leicaflex had
been taken by the Pentax LX. His father, who was a bit of a
Leicaphile, also inspected the film strips and appeared somewhat upset
by the results.

At the time of the tests I used Leica Ms for all of my available-light
work. Therefore, having no need for high-speed lenses, when I
purchased Pentax lenses, they were the slower f2.8 and f4 ones. These
ones, I expect, would be easier to correct. Also the pictures were
taken outside at around f8, rather than wide open.

This was not a definitive test; but it proved to me that, certainly in
some areas, the Pentax lenses could hold their own against some of the
best. I was happy with the results because the circumstances of the
test mirrored the situations in which I expected to use the Pentax and
its lenses, outdoors for architectural and other work.
This is exactly why you see so few actual photo comparisons posted on the site and blind tests. There are a great number of people who honestly couldn't tell the difference between camera types for the images they shoot. And it's upsetting to them to think otherwise. People want to think it's not a question of getting better, of changing their photographic habits... all they have to do is buy something and they will see a difference. Sometimes it's true, but not as often as more expensive camera, to go with the same old same old.
09-17-2014, 06:50 PM   #207
Inactive Account




Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2
My 2 Cents

First it's not the gear that makes a good photograph, I have old photographs I took on Nikon D1x I cherish. I currently Shoot Pentax K10D and a Canon 5D not a Mark II or III, I bought the Canon cheap and I like to be able to use my 20mm Takumar at 20mm instead of 30mm with the crop factor. That being said I choose Canon because I had a bunch of old m42 Takumar's and some Pentax K lenses, I shoot on my Pentax K10D all the time I like the build quality and internal SR so all the old glass I have works great with it. My canon I use a M42 to EOS and a K mount to EOS adapter. I don't have the need for an Autofocus lens in the photography I enjoy but I have a few if I need them. For me the main reason for the ff is to lose the crop factor, I can't afford an 15mm fish eye lens to make it a 22mm on a crop factor camera for landscape photography it just works for me. Best advise I could give someone is to pick a system that works for you and invest in good glass, bodies will always be updated and replaced I'm using some 30 year old pieces of glass that would cost me thousands in todays equivolents!

Don't you hate people that look at your photographs and say wow that looks great, you must have a good camera!
09-18-2014, 05:55 AM   #208
Veteran Member
Andi Lo's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,925
QuoteOriginally posted by unwavering Quote
Don't you hate people that look at your photographs and say wow that looks great, you must have a good camera!
Tell me about it

And yes I agree, just buy what works for you... I keep looking for that 5D with broken AF module that I can get for a steal, but it hasnt appeared yet. Like you I want to use the 5D purely for takumar and manual glass.
04-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #209
Pentaxian
bobbotron's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Ottawa, ON
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,780
QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Professionals do not engage in debates while on the job.
100% this.
04-03-2015, 12:46 PM   #210
Senior Member
deus ursus's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Stårheim, Norway
Posts: 269
QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Maybe by the time you're up for an upgrade, there'll be a K-3 or something with improved AF (again)
This must be the prediction of the century!

To the OP: That sounded more like an uncle Bob than a professional. You're sure your cousin didn't get one of his friends make his uncle do the shooting? :-) ("Hey, doesn't your uncle have a fat camera rig? Can he take some photos for us?")
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-x, nikon, photographer, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which Zoom Lens? "Tamron AF 18-250mm", "Pentax-DA 18-250mm" or "Sigma 18-250mm" hoomanshb Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 07-30-2010 09:50 AM
Sports "Highside Exit" took 1st Place in DPReview "Missed It by THAT much, Part 1" Challenge MRRiley Post Your Photos! 27 02-21-2010 08:26 PM
K20d-Frame Count on panals..works w/"M" & "P" mode only? arbib Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 08-28-2009 05:47 PM
Pentax "A" lens and "F" 1.7X converter on K10d yyyzzz Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 07-09-2009 05:04 AM
"Hunger for a DA*50-135?" or "The DA*50-135 as a bird lens!" or "Iron age birds?" Douglas_of_Sweden Post Your Photos! 4 08-13-2008 06:09 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:08 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top