Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 58 Likes Search this Thread
04-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #256
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What Canon and Nikon offer that Ricoh/Pentax does not is rapid replacement and loaners if one signs up for the professional support program. If I were a pro, that would be a definite plus for me. The last time Pentax ever offered that service is with the LX, as far as I know.

04-23-2015, 08:04 AM   #257
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by silver_dragon Quote
The suspension in a Cadillac CTS is designed by Mercedes. Thats the only reason they stand a chance against a BMW and ofcourse the big LS series V8 in them :P
IF that's true then the suspension in a Corvette is also designed by Mercedes. I'd love to see your citation on this factoid - please Reply.

a BMW just screams, "I got my 'Manager Bonus'. Lookey See!!"
04-23-2015, 08:06 AM   #258
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
At least no mid-high end Pentax left outside in a storm will ever suffer the fate of this Nikon D4....

Check Out What Happens When the $6,000 Nikon D4 is Left Exposed in a Storm
04-23-2015, 08:08 AM   #259
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
IF that's true then the suspension in a Corvette is also designed by Mercedes. I'd love to see your citation on this factoid - please Reply.

I assume he got confused with some old Chryslers like the 300 that were produced under the Daimler Chrysler group in the late 90s and based on German cars.

Not GMs, though.

04-23-2015, 06:36 PM   #260
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

I spent the last half an hour looking for citations and the Topgear video from a few years ago where i am extremely confident Jeremy Clarkson said that about the Cadillac CTS-V but to no avail.

It's definitely no secret that automotive manufacturers do trade technology and equipment however.
04-23-2015, 07:05 PM   #261
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stavri Quote
At least no mid-high end Pentax left outside in a storm will ever suffer the fate of this Nikon D4....

Check Out What Happens When the $6,000 Nikon D4 is Left Exposed in a Storm
I wouldn't call that surviving at all ! A tech had to do some serious servicing to get it back to functioning. Nikonians patting themselves on the back is what it is because it survived at any cost......dream on Fools !
I left my K30 out accidentally one night on the top of my Van in the White mountains in Az and it rained very hard several times. When I discovered what had happened the next morning I was worried but picked it up and shook it off..... it never even noticed.
A $499 K30 body and lens survives without a hiccup , compared to a $6000 Nikon Flagship that's takes on water like a sinking ship.....lol.....when will people learn.

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 04-23-2015 at 07:14 PM.
04-23-2015, 07:27 PM   #262
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I spent the last half an hour looking for citations and the Topgear video from a few years ago where i am extremely confident Jeremy Clarkson said that about the Cadillac CTS-V but to no avail.

It's definitely no secret that automotive manufacturers do trade technology and equipment however.
The suspension is designed in-house by the Cadillac Division of GM (which just moved out of Detroit to New York) and manufactured by BWI Group, formerly part of Delphi Automotive Systems, in the USA. Delphi is a massive global parts-making operation headquartered in the UK, that had been spun out of GM then went through bankruptcy reorganization prior to the 2009 GM bankruptcy. The Suspension Components Group was then resold in 2009 to a Chinese company, BeijingWest Intl. (BWI Group).

Various parts of the North American Delphi operations have been sold off to other USA manufacturing companies since 2009 as Delphi rationalizes its operations. General Motors, once a truly global, fully vertically integrated company, is now a shadow of its former self - essentially a design and assembly company which sources parts from the operations that now own its former parts factories.

Cadillac and Corvette share performance group research and design facilities. I believe eventually the two brands will separate from the more pedestrian Chevrolet and Buick brands to establish a more BMW-like identity.

AFAIK there is no current general technology sharing with Mercedes but at one time they jointly developed fuel injection systems. Daimler briefly owned Chrysler Corp (now owned by Fiat).

Oddly, my wife just bought a Mini Hardtop, which is a BMW, so you just can't tell any more.

Last edited by monochrome; 04-23-2015 at 07:36 PM.
04-24-2015, 12:38 AM   #263
Veteran Member

Clarkson is an idiot, anybody who takes what he says seriously is a fool.

AND I'm an engineer working in the automotive industry in the UK!
04-24-2015, 08:59 AM   #264
Pentaxian

we pause for a brief derailment....
04-24-2015, 11:35 AM - 2 Likes   #265
Veteran Member

Oh yeah? Well.... Lotus designed the suspension on the Fiero!

04-24-2015, 11:36 AM   #266
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote

(drum roll....)
04-24-2015, 01:51 PM   #267
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote

Lotus also designed the De Lorean and other junk, that's the reason they went in bankruptcy so many many times I lost the count!

Ok I stop here...
04-24-2015, 04:23 PM   #268
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Lotus also designed the De Lorean and other junk, that's the reason they went in bankruptcy so many many times I lost the count!

Ok I stop here...
Lotus didn't design the suspension on a Fiero. It was a myth that, that ever happened.

(former Fiero owner)
04-24-2015, 05:30 PM   #269
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Lotus also designed the De Lorean and other junk
You have to remember that the De Lorean made an excellent time machine...
04-25-2015, 03:13 AM - 1 Like   #270
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Pentax's latest offering the k3 cant hold a candle to the D4 or D800
I have a Nikon D810 and a Df (same sensor as the D4) and it is my considered opinion that the K-3 DOES hold a candle to them as far as image quality and a lot of other features are concerned. Yes the D810 has a full frame 36 mpx sensor, but for most uses I am hard pressed to see any difference in the end result. When it comes to value for money its the D810 and Df that cannot hold a candle to the Pentax. When the full-frame Pentax comes along, I am retiring the NIkons, that's how highly I think of Pentax cameras and lenses.