Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #16
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by phuey Quote
From then we had a full blown conversation and pretty much all I could hear from him was "Pentax is no longer a competitor against Nikon and Canon."
But isn't that actually true? Pentax has once been a major player in SLR sales. Today they are a small company that hasn't released a bleeding edge DSLR - meaning a pro-quality FF camera but rather follows the big players in technology. Pentax doesn't provide the number of cameras, lenses or accessories that the big boys do. It has its own niche market, a limited number of products to an acquired taste.

OK, there is the 645D now but it's a different target market again. Hopefully it does well so it makes the brand stronger with more street cred.

08-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
I was last year at the wedding of my nephew with my K20D, my FA*85 and my FA 31 limited; I had a discussion also with the pro engaged here - with a lot of respect because he knows me for 30 years; he explained me that for wedding full frame Canon was mandatory - don't ask me why; the result is that with my couple of great Pentax lenses and my K20D there are a lot of shots looking better than those of the Canon - used with a crappy 28-105 though. Conclusion ? With a good body - and Pentax K20D or K7 are good ones - and excellent lenses you are able to achieve better results than with a "pro" labeled stuff; "pro" here being a marketing gimmick
For what it's worth...I had a similar conversation with a pro that I know. He, too, was using a Canon FF camera. He chose the FF because he was shooting on the fly and wasn't always able to frame as precisely as he'd like. The FF gave him more cropping latitude. In the film days, this guy's main camera was a Pentax 6X7. But when he needed to go digital for a book project, Pentax didn't really have an adequate digital camera so he went with Canon.
08-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
when the "professional" photographer asked me "Pentax? Why pentax?"
So you don't become a walking Nikon 'hole?
08-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
So you don't become a walking Nikon 'hole?
It's obvious you don't know what you're talking about, and only being a member here for one day, you have no right to...

Oh, wait a minute:

You're SpecialK without the space, not Special K.

Never mind!

08-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
four guys in my department have canon 5D mark II's with more money into one of their lens then I ever plan to spend on my entire setup...

They were trying to talk me into buying a used 50D or T1i, but after reading so many reviews I decided if i couldnt afford at least a T2i ill just go with a pentax K-X. Maybe its lame, but i kinda like that we can chose a color too. (i went with white)

The local photography store carry 6+ brands but only seem to sell canons. I mean no matter what you come in to look at, they push canon brand on you. maybe for good reason, when they have pentax K-X priced at $649 which is to darn close to the canon t2i wanted.

With all that said, out of all the cameras ive handled I really dig how the K-X feels in my hand. Wish I could have nikon d90 view finder though
08-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #21
Forum Member

I am always suprised by this kind of bias and brand loyalty. I remember taking pictures as good with my Fed 2 as Leica photographers as well as taking as good pictures with my old pentax as well as the Canikons.
08-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #22
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
On the odd occasion when my fellow photographers around me ask, I never rise to the bait, it's all about the captured image, not the tools used to do so.

On the down side I can't borrow their lenses if I ever needed too, as I've seen them swap about, not that I would lend out my fine glass, you understand.

08-02-2010, 01:51 PM   #23
Inactive Account

nah, i guess he was just scared of being out-classed by the Kx

after all, the most important ingredient is the person who presses the shutter.
the gear is secondary.
08-02-2010, 02:05 PM   #24
Forum Member

Tired of repeating the same topic over and over again. It's sad to see so much fanboism in both camps.

Real profs are not fanbois. They know why they bought what they bought.
Yes, real pros don't buy Pentax, but you would never hear a pro joking "are they still in business?"

The quasi-pros can't tell their ass from their mouth. They buy what they observe the pros are buying and think they magically turn into pros just by owning the same equipment (it's the same with musical instruments - that $5000 custom made guitar doesn't automatically make you a rock star). Cargo Cult syndrome.

What I hear from pros about Pentax is:
- Great prime lens.
- Last time I checked, one couldn't rent them. I could rent Can/Nikon everywhere.
- Last time I checked, auto-focus sucked for sports. I had to buy that Nikon and a ton of lenses, now I'm struck with it.
- Last time I checked, Pentax flash system wasn't good enough for me. I had to get that Canon, now I'm stuck with the system.
- Oh, yeah, great primes with Pentax. Unfortunately I've accumulated a ton of expensive Canon lenses, so I'm kinda stuck.
- Full-frame is nice. Nice DR - can get all the highlights of the brides white dress. Too bad K7 has worse DR then the prev model.
08-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
But isn't that actually true? ... meaning a pro-quality FF camera but rather follows the big players in technology. Pentax doesn't provide the number of cameras, lenses or accessories that the big boys do. It has its own niche market, a limited number of products to an acquired taste.
I am often puzzled by the insistence that 'pro' requires FF and also that pros require a vast galaxy of cameras, lenses and accessories. Many a pro gets by without either.

Many Canon wedding pros seem to be switching from FF 5D2 > crop 7D, and many Nikon pro shooters have a D300s or D90 alongside their D700 or D3's. I also know one pro who does studio work, has had exhibitions of his work in several galleries, and also does other contract photography who only has one DSLR camera body (a D300s), some film bodies, and just 4 lenses. And the rest of their gear is one battery grip, one flash, and a laptop with Lightroom. Nothing in his camera kit couldn't be duplicated by Pentax gear. Many working pros would probably be in a similar position.
08-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #26
Forum Member

I kind of understand the brand thing. My first "real" camera was a K1000, then an SF-1. Then I started using a Kodak p&S, but not entirely satisfied with the results, thought I would jump into a DSLR.

I was considering Nikon, partly because I don't see Pentax represented many places, but then saw some nice photos on a Toyota truck forum. I sent him a PM asking about what he was using and it was Pentax.

So here I am, very close to ordering a KX.
08-02-2010, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #27

First post.

One of the reasons I bought a Pentax was for originality. That's how I choose most of my products. I drive a 1991 Nissan Sentra SE-R, not a Civic. My phone is a Palm Pre Plus, not an IPhone. If you do some research you will find amazing quality in something that is often overlooked, like my K-7. Canon is great, Nikon is great, hell, they're all great. It just depends on what kind of person you are. Safe and easy or informed and independent.

My girlfriend has been shooting with a Canon 40D for a few years now and that's what I learned to shoot on. I like it. I found a great price on a Canon 50D body ($750, same price I paid for my K-7) and I could borrow my girlfriend's glass whenever I wanted. However I knew deep down in my heart that I would not be truly happy with a 50D due to the frequency that I see Canon bodies and that I'd be missing out on the love that goes behind the Pentax brand.
08-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I met a young creative pro while I was in Mexico. She was the best kind: acknowledges the dumb role that brands play in the market today. She loves doing shoots with a 50 f1.4 and D300S but might have to change to Canon for one job.
08-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #29
Inactive Account

I think this is people's way of justifying being pro. It's sad I have gotten it many times but I don't think people realize that being a pro is more than a camera it is lighting composition and having an eye. You can take a great picture with a point and shoot if you know what you are doing. Not saying to do that as a pro but brands are brands. I get irritated with alot of nikon and canon snobs but someone who is tackful wouldn't say something like that
08-02-2010, 02:55 PM   #30
Banned

So recently I was at my cousin's engagement party and
From then we had a full blown conversation and pretty much all I could hear from him was "Pentax is no longer a competitor against Nikon and Canon." "How come you didn't buy Nikon?" Etc. THEN he had the audacity of comparing his Nikon d700 to my k-x. Like, are you serious? a $500 dslr against a $3000 dslr.

So is it common that a lot of "Pros" talk down about Pentax or was this guy just a major hater and fan boy?
So you where walking ther with your Pink K-x and asking some senior guy (not gay) to take you serious