Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2015, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #316
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
... So, I guess who is Apple and who is android depends on your perspective. But from my perspective, Pentax is definitely Apple, they may not be cutting edge in terms development and functionality, but they are solid, built to last forever, probably longer than you'll want to use it, always thoughtful in terms of ease of use.

I'd be one to say the opposite.

Not to say Apple doesn't make great hardware, because they definitely do, but when I look at the Apple iPhone I see a good phone system with yearly incremental updates and implementing some things behind the curve only when forced by the competition (copy/paste, pull down notifications, 4G LTE). Despite this, they have good quality equipment and a loyal following of the masses (pro and amateur) who will buy each update despite the large price premium (*ahem* Canikon). I see Pentax as more like Android, not mainstream but designed for the true enthusiasts with many cutting edge features packed in at a more affordable price, and held onto for a couple generations before upgrading to the latest. I recommend iPhones for people who want a simple to use phone that does most things quite well and is easy to get tech support for when things go wrong (Canikon), but Android is great if you want to delve deeper into customization and fine control of your phone at the expense of having a less ubiquitous device and needing to figure things out yourself if you run into issues (Pentax). As far as ruggedness, I've seen many a cracked iPhone due to corner impact shattering the edge to edge glass, where the larger bezels on many Android phones give a little more leeway if you drop them on edge.

Modern day cameras and phones are all pretty advanced devices and it's amazing what you can do with any of them. Our choices now are based more on environment, customization, and user interfaces. iPhones, Androids, and Windows phones are all great devices, as are Canon, Nikon, and Pentax cameras. We could definitely hijack this thread with comparisons, but in the end we'd probably at least agree that Pentax makes some outstanding cameras.

12-04-2015, 06:47 PM - 1 Like   #317

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Any "PRO" would never degrade -or- "talk trash" about one's selection of choice...this show's that they are not "PRO" at all...just another amature thinking they're a "PRO"..typical human looser...
12-15-2015, 12:15 PM   #318
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
We get a thread like this pretty often.

Look, I've had Pentax cameras and glass for longer than many around here have been alive. It suits my needs as a serious amateur-semi pro just fine, and dollar for dollar and pound for pound, it is better for me than what Canon or Nikon offers.

However, If I were 25 years old today, had just gotten an SBA loan, and I had $10,000+ to spend on a rig that was to earn me a livelihood, I'm not sure I would buy a Pentax DSLR. As a full-time pro, I might want something that is made especially for my needs, and, more importantly, ubiquitous so that finding accessories, repairs, etc. will never get in the way of my living.
I think that I agree with GeneV. I bought my first Pentax - a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic F - when I was in Junior High, straight out of Jafco catalog. Why? Because I thought the name "Pentax" looked and sounded cooler than the rest. I got VERY lucky as that was a fantastic camera. I still pledge allegiance to Pentax but, am a tad disappointed. To a degree, I think we all are yet, like Gene, it serves my needs. I am envious, though, of other camera brand owners and the plethora of product and accessories available to them. The last lens that I purchased, a Sigma 17-50 f/2.8, I waited over two months for B&H to get it in stock. I even wrote to the product manager at Sigma. Oh well.
12-15-2015, 04:32 PM   #319
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I believe we all have our reasons why we're with Pentax. Honestly, Pentax never appealed to me during the film days. But I guess, we have to look deeper to understand a system and if it fit our needs. What I see was, Pentax was neglected in the early years of digital photography. It was never marketed/promoted for people to see what their cameras were made of or just to say,"come take a look, we might fit your needs." If I didn't make my research probably I would now be with my old systems, Canon or Nikon.

Sad to say that such a good system was never promoted well. Even now, third party lens makers do not see Pentax as a big market. We can see that with Tamron and Sigma. Tamron doesn't have new lenses for the K-mount. Though Sigma may have some but, lenses like the 150-600 contemporary and sports edition are not available to Pentax. Unless they see Pentax sales shooting up, they will never make new lenses for Pentax.

Better service and available lenses and accessories are necessary to increase sales. We don't see much Pentax lenses or cameras here in my part of the woods. Yet, Pentax is made here in my country. There is only one distributor here and their prices are exorbitantly high with very poor customer service. Imagine that, Pentax are made here and I buy mine from Japan. My situation seem to end up like a farce.

In one way or another Ricoh is doing something about this. However, they have to move fast to catch up with the market.

12-15-2015, 06:49 PM   #320
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SlamDesiAK Quote
I think that I agree with GeneV. I bought my first Pentax - a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic F - when I was in Junior High, straight out of Jafco catalog. Why? Because I thought the name "Pentax" looked and sounded cooler than the rest. I got VERY lucky as that was a fantastic camera. I still pledge allegiance to Pentax but, am a tad disappointed. To a degree, I think we all are yet, like Gene, it serves my needs. I am envious, though, of other camera brand owners and the plethora of product and accessories available to them. The last lens that I purchased, a Sigma 17-50 f/2.8, I waited over two months for B&H to get it in stock. I even wrote to the product manager at Sigma. Oh well.
My reason in the film days was a little more based on features and quality. Back 40+ years ago, Pentax was the ubiquitous brand, and it's lens mount was often adopted for store brands and off brands. Third party lenses always came in a screw or K mount. My first SLR was a Vivitar with an M42 mount in 1973 on which I mounted Pentax and other lenses. The screw mount Vivitar body died on a trip in 1978, and I have had K mount Pentax bodies ever since.

Pentax lenses tended to perform as well or better than Canikon, but at a better price than Nikon, and similar to Canon. The compact philosophy with the M series was also welcome. That philosophy still has me with the brand.

Last edited by GeneV; 12-15-2015 at 07:17 PM.
12-15-2015, 07:35 PM   #321
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax seems to me to have been, since 1970 or so, a poorly run company that made very nice cameras - and got very lucky to buy patents (SMC) that every other manufacturer save Leica licensed for 25 years. Cash flow trumps business acumen as long as it lasts.
12-15-2015, 07:45 PM   #322
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
I'd be one to say the opposite.

Not to say Apple doesn't make great hardware, because they definitely do, but when I look at the Apple iPhone I see a good phone system with yearly incremental updates and implementing some things behind the curve only when forced by the competition (copy/paste, pull down notifications, 4G LTE). Despite this, they have good quality equipment and a loyal following of the masses (pro and amateur) who will buy each update despite the large price premium (*ahem* Canikon). I see Pentax as more like Android, not mainstream but designed for the true enthusiasts with many cutting edge features packed in at a more affordable price, and held onto for a couple generations before upgrading to the latest. I recommend iPhones for people who want a simple to use phone that does most things quite well and is easy to get tech support for when things go wrong (Canikon), but Android is great if you want to delve deeper into customization and fine control of your phone at the expense of having a less ubiquitous device and needing to figure things out yourself if you run into issues (Pentax). As far as ruggedness, I've seen many a cracked iPhone due to corner impact shattering the edge to edge glass, where the larger bezels on many Android phones give a little more leeway if you drop them on edge.

Modern day cameras and phones are all pretty advanced devices and it's amazing what you can do with any of them. Our choices now are based more on environment, customization, and user interfaces. iPhones, Androids, and Windows phones are all great devices, as are Canon, Nikon, and Pentax cameras. We could definitely hijack this thread with comparisons, but in the end we'd probably at least agree that Pentax makes some outstanding cameras.
I agree. I would never ever compare my Pentax gear to Apple. Apple button pushers... humph