Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 58 Likes Search this Thread
08-11-2010, 11:08 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote

Back to trash-talk. As noted, PenHoya just doesn't have a presence in USA. Canikon's marketing certainly doesn't discourage user arrogance. PenHoya may be building a pro support network in Japan for the 645D, but certainly has no pro-level penetration elsewhere (and prosumer ain't the same). Maybe the Tokyo bean-counters have a longer-term strategy for boosting presence here, or maybe USA just isn't considered a viable target for their marketing funds.

But how about SOME brick-and-mortar shelf presence, PLEASE. A Kx and W90 on display in each of the 414 CostCo warehouses (as opposed to WalMart's 3550 stores and K-Mart's 1300 trash heaps) could have a HUGE impact. Pentax just isn't visible. It becomes the unseen Other, easy to denigrate as worthless, unreliable, petty -- a friendless loner, spat upon by the mainstream. Ptui.
I have not seen a Leica camera in CostCO or Walmart, but I still have respect for someone who knows enough to choose a Leica.

I used to get intimitated by anyone holding a 5D or D700, not anymore. Many of them don't know how to operate beyond the "auto" mode. Some of them just know how to brag. I am not suggesting that every 5D or D700 owner is like that. However, some of them are just like the OP mentioned here.

08-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #92
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Actually, I've never gotten it from a true pro. Usually, it is another enthusiast that goes down that path.
Yeah, someone who's a true professional doesn't denigrate others based on their equipment. True professionals want to see others around them succeed as well, and typically will go out of their way to help "enthusiasts" because they were once there. Good comment.
08-11-2010, 10:03 PM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've had the opportunity to shoot with pros who use both Canon and Nikon. They rib each other a lot, but not me for my K20D. A couple have been curious, so I've let them handle it. Hmm, nice camera was the response both times. As other's have said, true pros judge a camera by the photos it produces. And, I am very glad to not carry the weight of the monster full frames with battery grips.

It's the casual shooters who are the rudest and least knowledgeable about the relative value of cameras.

"You know, Nikon rules." Uh, why? "Well, it does." That's the level of discourse I hear. There's no talking with these people. I've found the most effective response I can give is to say, "Well, that's nice, if you want to believe it." Say that in a too-nice voice, then shut up and walk away. You're allowed to peak over your shoulder at the confused face of your "expert."

That said, I do get envious when I look at images from FF cameras. Sure the huge files slow down processing. And, they do provide a finer tonality than any APS sensor can. It may not be a lot, but it's there. I certainly wouldn't turn down a Sony Alpha 900 or a Canon 5D II if you gave me one. I'm never going to spend the money for a 645, but I would consider a quarter of that for a good full frame camera.

And, I'd add to the list of features I'd like to see on the next Pentax, fast continuous auto-focus. The K7 isn't bad, but it isn't in the D300 class.
08-12-2010, 05:32 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
"You know, Nikon rules." Uh, why? "Well, it does." That's the level of discourse I hear. There's no talking with these people.
When I hear arguments of slogans (or less), whether on subjects photographic, political, or anything else, my reaction is to say "Whatever" and walk away. I have no time for verbal sparring with the clueless.

What, isn't this the SOME PEOPLE REALLY ANNOY ME thread?

08-12-2010, 06:06 AM   #95
Veteran Member

When I hear arguments of slogans (or less), whether on subjects photographic, political, or anything else, my reaction is to say "Whatever" and walk away. I have no time for verbal sparring with the clueless.

What, isn't this the SOME PEOPLE REALLY ANNOY ME thread?
It really seems like there is a multiplicity of those threads right now.
08-12-2010, 02:16 PM   #96
Veteran Member

fanboys are everywhere

Fanboyism is everywhere. User of other brands are also humans just like pentax users. You are very likely to bump into a canikon fanboy simply because they outnumber pentax users by good margin.

If you think there are no fanboys who use pentax then you are mistaken. Not giving credit to other brands for their strength is common symptom of it.
08-12-2010, 03:26 PM   #97
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I'm too old to be a fanboy, is there such a thing as fanoldfarts.

08-13-2010, 03:33 AM   #98

Once on some kind of a photo workshop the guy came to me and asked if he could see my K10D. He asked if it can take photos in RAW. I said: "Sure, here's a button for switching to RAW!" He just said: "Oh!" and walked away

His 5D doesn't have that
08-13-2010, 02:25 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Well put, Pete. I'm using Pentax equipment because I started with Pentax. I don't like the ergonomics of Canon, but that is simply personal taste. They take great pictures and bad ones, just as my Pentaxes do. I feel somewhat at home with Nikon gear, probably because they zoom and focus in the same direction on the rings as Pentax, and opposite to Canon.

It's like modern day cars and trucks. There really are not any bad ones, particularly if you compare reliability, comfort, maintenance sequences and so forth with the ones built when I got my driver's license in 1956. Some others on this list will certainly remember that it was routine to do a valve job after 25,000 miles, rings and bearings at 50,000, valves again at 75,000 and put in a rebuilt engine at 100,000. Now there are vehicles out there that do a first spark plug change at 100,000.

Now we have cameras that use ISO settings that did not even exist with film. We have frame rates that would have floored a press photographer. We have cameras that focus by themselves, and set the aperture and shutter speed all by themselves, and you can change the film speed on the fly! WOW!
What a sane and refreshing point of view! It's too easy to forget how lucky we have it.

Regarding the op: I came into Pentax thinking quite the reverse after seeing some comparative images where a K100D smoked a 5D imho.
08-13-2010, 05:08 PM   #100
Banned

Well al the trashtalk is nonsence. Half of the pics you see is extreme photoshop and for that you need a good basic picture. The pro who doesn't understand that and talks trash of Pentax isn't al that good.

Last edited by RonHendriks1966; 02-27-2011 at 04:54 AM.
08-13-2010, 07:15 PM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Amen, brother.
08-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mysticcowboy Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown:
Amen, brother.
fancoots
fangeezers
fancrips
fandrroids
fanosaurs
fancients
fantastix
08-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. B Quote
Once on some kind of a photo workshop the guy came to me and asked if he could see my K10D. He asked if it can take photos in RAW. I said: "Sure, here's a button for switching to RAW!" He just said: "Oh!" and walked away

His 5D doesn't have that
Maybe it was a trick question.
08-14-2010, 06:48 AM   #104

fancoots
fangeezers

Works for me....:-)
08-14-2010, 09:16 AM   #105

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Maybe it was a trick question.