Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 05:53 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Amateurs worry about cameras. Professionals worry about lenses. Photographers worry about light.
Nice. I just say "Mirror up or Shut up".

08-06-2010, 07:33 AM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Most Pentax users care about end results than gear is what I'd say ;-)

That said, there are reasons for using Canon/Nikon FF for weddings...clean ISO2000, and the ability to easily do rentals. Just makes your life easier if you do this as a pro and can spend the bucks on the gear. You can get great images w/ just about any DSLR nowadays.
08-06-2010, 08:08 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phuey Quote
So recently I was at my cousin's engagement party and I was one of the many photographers along with a hired "professional" photographer. I was walking around with my limited lenses on my k-x taking random photos of relatives, etc when the "professional" photographer asked me "Pentax? Why pentax?"

From then we had a full blown conversation and pretty much all I could hear from him was "Pentax is no longer a competitor against Nikon and Canon." "How come you didn't buy Nikon?" Etc. THEN he had the audacity of comparing his Nikon d700 to my k-x. Like, are you serious? a $500 dslr against a $3000 dslr.

So is it common that a lot of "Pros" talk down about Pentax or was this guy just a major hater and fan boy?
The true pros I know admire all well-made cameras, and are general photo enthusiasts. They use pro gear often because that is hat their paymasters have deals to provide. I know 3 successful photo pros and all like my Pentax gear. The K-7 in particular gets praise for its compactness.
08-06-2010, 08:29 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Just came back from a 10 day trip in Wien, Salzburg, Munchen. Loads of tourists, loads of DSLRs, no other Pentax but mine. Made me feel a little diffferent, in a good way, but unfortunately that is no good news for Pentax's future.

Heck, I saw at least 4 Sonys, some Olys and of course Nikanons by the hundreds.

Edit: correction, I have seen a mid-age couple who carried Pentaxes but they were an *ist and a MZ-L with the kit lens.

08-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I must admit… I am shooting a pretty dark ceremony this month and have contemplated renting a 5D Mark II. In the end, I decided to borrow a friend’s K-x for the ceremony and using my K20D for the rest of the wedding. Pentax is on the verge of becoming a great low light performer. If the new release is even slightly better than the k-x, with ISO, I will feel a lot more confident with my wedding set up.
Some wedding vids if you have time to kill.

and
08-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #66
Veteran Member

montman: the Bowden video is excellent. Much better artsy photos than the first video :-)
08-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kenyee- Thank you, my wife took half of those so I can’t take all the credit, I do think the Bowden one came out a bit better as well. I feel Pentax can handle a wedding, it just really gets pushed to its limits; I look forward to what they release next.

08-06-2010, 10:52 AM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Really sort of odd coming from an "old guy Nikon shooter." I rarely get static from the Nikon crowd... but I've had Canon guys with Rebels and kit lenses talk down about my K20D with the BIGMA mounted on it. No curing stupidity though...

Mike
this is downright funny. if I were in that situation, I would say "hello? do you even know what a BIGMA is ?".
08-06-2010, 11:05 AM   #69
Veteran Member

a friend of mine shared his experience with other shooters using other brands. since Pentax was virtually an unknown brand to them, they were more interested on the images that the Pentax can produce, rather than dissing out the camera even before looking at the results. in the end, it got some people interested into looking at Pentax.

for me, this should be the proper attitude. curiousity is a way of finding out or discovering something new. I guess to some people, the world is still flat to them.
08-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Recently, I joined a group shoot. Most of the folks were outfitted with a zoom hanging on the front of an N or C "D" series camera. I was the only Pentax and had a D FA 100 WR paired to a K-7, plus a DA 15 in my pocket.

I could not believe the level of grousing from these folks about the weight of their stuff followed by how great it was to have a BlackRapid strap to make it all easier to carry. It was threatening rain. So several demonstrated how they were going to use plastic grocery bags to protect their gear. I quietly commented that I was not worried since my set-up was weather resistant.

No one said anything about my gear until near the end of the day when it was observed that "Pentax made good cameras..." I reciprocated by showing the DA 15 and how its stealthy lens hood stored inside the lens barrel. When I passed my camera around, it got lots of ‘wows’. I could see the gears turning in their heads. I do not wish to sound too smug, but the old saw "There are two types of travelers... those that travel light and those that wished they had..." certainly rang true on that day. I had a no complaints!

Cheers...

Last edited by Michaelina2; 08-06-2010 at 04:31 PM.
08-06-2010, 01:58 PM   #71

No reason

There is really no reason to trash Pentax, pro or not.

Pro cameras from 4-5 years ago, like the Canon 30D, and Nikon D2X were the cutting edge. Today, they are STILL very solid and very capable cameras and shooters still use them quite liberally. But Pentax K7 is ahead of both of them technology wise. YET, you don't see guys shooting Canon 7D or Nikon D3 cameras and telling the guys still shooting 30D and D2X, "You guys are shooting with garbage." No, you don't hear that.

I think Pentax gets flack because it's Pentax. Maybe it's the name, who knows?
08-06-2010, 02:17 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus Quote
There is really no reason to trash Pentax, pro or not.

Pro cameras from 4-5 years ago, like the Canon 30D, and Nikon D2X were the cutting edge. Today, they are STILL very solid and very capable cameras and shooters still use them quite liberally. But Pentax K7 is ahead of both of them technology wise. YET, you don't see guys shooting Canon 7D or Nikon D3 cameras and telling the guys still shooting 30D and D2X, "You guys are shooting with garbage." No, you don't hear that.

I think Pentax gets flack because it's Pentax. Maybe it's the name, who knows?
what if they change it to PANTEX ?
08-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #73
Forum Member

Wow, just used to be Leica and Hassy owners bad mouthed all other brands.
08-06-2010, 03:17 PM   #74
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by phuey Quote
So recently I was at my cousin's engagement party and I was one of the many photographers along with a hired "professional" photographer. I was walking around with my limited lenses on my k-x taking random photos of relatives, etc when the "professional" photographer asked me "Pentax? Why pentax?"

From then we had a full blown conversation and pretty much all I could hear from him was "Pentax is no longer a competitor against Nikon and Canon." "How come you didn't buy Nikon?" Etc. THEN he had the audacity of comparing his Nikon d700 to my k-x. Like, are you serious? a $500 dslr against a $3000 dslr.

So is it common that a lot of "Pros" talk down about Pentax or was this guy just a major hater and fan boy?
We in the Pentax DSLR world don't particularly Care what the others think. Why is he so concerned with Your choice? Questioning his own perhaps?

08-06-2010, 04:02 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i started with Pentax on a K 1000 that was given to me, went from that to a KX, then ME and ME Super, and finally the A 3000. All got excellent pictures and slides, the same lenses worked great, and when I went to digital, I got a Pentax so I could use my existing glass. Seriously considered Minolta for the same reason, I have 3 or 4 lenses that cover 45 to 200mm, but Minolta dropped their camera line (really bad move) several years ago so about 7 megapixel was the best I could get, if that. So here I am with a K-x and it's doing a great job, I love it. I've always been pleased with Pentax so it was no surpeise this one was a keeper.

I have a friend who is a pro, just starting out, but a long time photographer, shooting a Nikon D40. He was pusjhing Nikon of course, and wanted me to look into the current ones, which I did, but the K-x was less expensive, got excellent reviews, and would use my existing lenses. I only have a couple, but they work great and many of you have seen the results.

When he saw the results, he was very impressed, he has made many very favorable comments about my shots, and on several occasions has looked at a new shot and said "That's National Geographic". I'm not sure if they're really that good, but the entry level K-x has really impressed him. But even before I got the camera, he never made any derogatory comments about Pentax, while telling me several times Canon sucks. I have no real opinion on Canon, I've never used one, but have seen plenty good shots I know were taken with Canon equipment, same as Nikon. His Nikon gets some very nice shots, I haven't used Nikon either and don't have anything bad to say about them.

If I were confronted by someone who wanted to ridicule my rig, I think I'd simply say well, the guy behind the lens makes more difference than a roomfull of equipment. Talk all you want, but at the end of the day I'm looking at some really nice pictures, that's what counts. I don't care if they came from a cheap P&S, and I"ve taken plenty nice macro shots with a Samsung S730 P&S, the same Nikon shooter I mentioned above LOVES that camera for macro shots and general P&S use, he's thinking about getting one.

As far as I'm concerned, I use what works for me, and of it does a good job, I keep it. I'd never used Minolta either, when my sister snagged a SRT101 at an estate sale, 10 bucks. So I grabbed some film, a friend gave me a 80-200, and out the door I went. I like the Minolta just as much as my Pentax gear, and found out a long time pro got pictures printed in National Geographic with the exact same camera.

So I still say, it's more the guy behind the lens than anything else. I can take good picturs with a cheap P&S, a 35mm SLR, 35mm instamatic, (I have 2) or a DSLR. Brand, I don't care...but if I have to pay for it, I'm getting the one that uses the lenses I already have...Pentax...Just like guitars, I play whatever I can afford that's good quality, and I've shown up at auditions with a 6 or 8 watt Fender Champ made in 1974 and gotten "that look" that someone else mentioned...but once they heard that little screamer, it was all over with, usually people are very impressed with that little amp. Ditto for my stage rig, I've seen die hard Marshall fans tell me how good my 1973 Fender Super Reverb sounds. Same thing, it's the guy behind the lens...the guy with the guitar in his hands. I've seen plenty amateur players that sound like crap on my rig. I let very few even touch it...If you can PLAY, you can make any guitar sound good. If you are a photographer, you can use anything and get good pictures, probably even an old Polaroid. One of the best pictures I ever shot was a hummingbird with my brother's old Yashica rangefinder camera...

Last edited by Paleo Pete; 08-06-2010 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Score another point for the typo monster...