Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 09:33 AM   #106
Veteran Member

When you are out surfing the interwebs you sometime come across new photographers that has gone all in and purchased a D3s with some realy expensive glass.
Photos looks like ****, but they still keeps telling its a Nikon D3S the best there is and that every other brand is ****.

02-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
"... pretty much all I could hear from him was "Pentax is no longer a competitor against Nikon and Canon." "How come you didn't buy Nikon?" Etc. THEN he had the audacity of comparing his Nikon d700 to my k-x. Like, are you serious? a $500 dslr against a $3000 dslr. So is it common that a lot of "Pros" talk down about Pentax or was this guy just a major hater and fan boy?"

That guy was not a real pro. Just your typical garden-variety douchenozzle. I know a few actual professional photographers who make their living with Nikons & Canons & they're all good guys who don't care what others shoot with. If some mouth-breather were to start prattling on that way to me, I would walk away from them in mid-blather.
02-25-2011, 09:21 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
That guy was not a real pro. Just your typical garden-variety douchenozzle.
The pros I know don't have time to waste, trash-talking other gear.

QuoteQuote:
I know a few actual professional photographers who make their living with Nikons & Canons & they're all good guys who don't care what others shoot with.
Exactly. Pros I run into see my K20D, maybe sporting a Nikkor or Takumar or Meyer lens, and say, "Nice camera." As for usable cameras... I took a Mexican Riviera cruise a couple years ago. (As much as that cruise sucked, I'd rather be there now, than snowbound in my current blizzard.) The ship was loaded with staff photographers snapping everybody, to take their money of course. And all those staffers used... Olympus.

Fanboys? Non illegitimi carborundum.
02-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #109
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
The ship was loaded with staff photographers snapping everybody, to take their money of course. And all those staffers used... Olympus.
I've owned many film SLRs over the years. Pentax, Canon, Nikon (some were the venerable F series) Minolta, Praktica, Konica, you-name-it, and my favorite all-round film camera was the Olympus OM-2S Program. It was a beautifully-built little ergonomic gem, and the Zuiko lenses were some of the best I've ever used. Even maybe a smidge better than the Nikkor primes I used with the F2. Only bad thing about the OM was that it ate batteries like candy.

02-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #110

I sell cameras to everyone from "pro's" to complete amateurs. Our store has Nikon, Canon, Sony and Olympus in store with options to order them panasonic or pentax. One thing I've noticed from everyone is they all want justification for their brand loyalty.

Everyday it's the same, "Nikon is good right? Canon is better, right?" Even though they've done their research, received recommendations already and have the package picked out but they need that last bit of reassurance. I usually tell them no either way and explain why, then they get scared and doubt themselves. At the end I tell them it doesn't matter, they're what matters and if they're good enough they can make the camera do exactly what they want every single time. Sometimes I'll tell them to let me order them a pentax but they usually want the camera that day. :/

What really concerns me is the amateur pro who comes in, buys the most expensive camera with a crappy lens and doesn't even know how to mount it properly. Then they ask what an f/stop is...I feel sorry for the person who paid for their work.
02-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I waste no time on these so called "pro" photogs. They are merely expensive camera owners in my book. They can brag all they want, and I don't want to smarten them up either. I have been asked before what settings I used for flash photography in weddings. I just merely shrug them off by saying it is all in Pentax flash system - nothing special.
02-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #112
Veteran Member

Case study: My bro-in-law is a 'pro' in that he has competently shot many commercial assignments, events, weddings, etc over a couple decades. Not that he needs the money. On film, he used Bronica and Minolta. Gone digital, he uses Sony FF and Olympus compacts. He also collects hundreds of valuable vintage cameras, but that's another story. Anyway, he never brags about his gear, never dishes anyone else's gear, etc. (He'll deride their politics instead.) Of course he pays close attention to his equipment -- tools are important. But the results are what counts, what he gets paid for, what ANY pro gets paid for. Someone who values tools more than results is NOT professional.

02-26-2011, 12:43 PM   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
The guy my wife and I hired to shoot our wedding shot everything using two Hasselblads and Kodak film, and did a brilliant job.
The sign of a true pro. One I am envious of.
02-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #114

Yes, I do know a few Nikon "snobs", but they are amateurs not pros. Brand image is important but can change over time. When I bought my first Macintosh (a green and white i-Mac) in 2001, I got a lot of snickers from my fellow programmers. No one snickers now when they see my MacBook Pro.
02-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #115
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marv Toler Quote
Yes, I do know a few Nikon "snobs", but they are amateurs not pros. Brand image is important but can change over time. When I bought my first Macintosh (a green and white i-Mac) in 2001, I got a lot of snickers from my fellow programmers. No one snickers now when they see my MacBook Pro.
honestly there is, you can get more for a PC than a Mac.
02-26-2011, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #116
Inactive Account

I would have said "Its not the camera that makes the photo great, its the photographer" and walked away.

I have gotten better shots with a point in shoot then some people I see carrying around a D700....

Speaking of this, I recently went to a Photoclub which was filled with about 30-40 old men/women and when I told them I was going from my Nikon D40 to a Pentax K-5 they said I was downgrading, now note that I am 22 years old and am not very biased when it comes to brands besides my dislike of most digital canon cameras(Not a fan of the feel of them mostly). They laughed about it and then started to argue about if Nikon or Canon was better. The meeting was a joke, basically it was an hour long power point presentation on how to use your camera right, funny cause half the examples shown were over or underexposed(one had a totally white blown out sky).

I was O_O the whole time, I did not attend the next meeting. It made me said, I was like...these are the people that share my passion? Also at the end of the presentation, they handed out little ribbon awards since they held a photo contest the week beforehand and the leaders of the meeting received most of the awards, it felt like an ego boosting party...Ridiculous.

Last edited by Abstract; 02-26-2011 at 05:54 PM.
02-27-2011, 10:48 AM   #117
Veteran Member

To be fair though, I am strongly considering a Nikon 7000 over a Pentax K-5 for my next upgrade. I know that the K-5 is probably the overall better body in image quality and handling, but I've just been getting fed up with Pentax's autofocus. What's holding me back is my great lust for the Limiteds.
02-27-2011, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #118
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bsamcash Quote
To be fair though, I am strongly considering a Nikon 7000 over a Pentax K-5 for my next upgrade. I know that the K-5 is probably the overall better body in image quality and handling, but I've just been getting fed up with Pentax's autofocus. What's holding me back is my great lust for the Limiteds.
Maybe by the time you're up for an upgrade, there'll be a K-3 or something with improved AF (again)
02-27-2011, 07:26 PM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
Maybe by the time you're up for an upgrade, there'll be a K-3 or something with improved AF (again)
That's what I'm hoping! I really like the sound of "Pentaxian" much more than "Nikonut." Haha.
02-28-2011, 01:16 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Other than the endemic problems with the SDM on my 16-50 & 50-135, I like the output of the Pentax. We use the Kx for all of our behind the scenes video's and the K20D for most of my published stuff in Harper's BAZAAR, VOGUE etc...

See what's next...Perhaps I see an upgrade in the not so far future.