Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #241
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If a person buys a camera for prestige, they are most likely lacking in some other area.....and usually it is in photographic ability. Sort of says a lot about a person that knocks another brand just to guild up his own weak ego, doesn't it?

Regards!

04-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #242
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
If a person buys a camera for prestige, they are most likely lacking in some other area.....and usually it is in photographic ability. Sort of says a lot about a person that knocks another brand just to guild up his own weak ego, doesn't it?

Regards!
I thought most K3s were "Bedazzled" with crystals and jewels....is mine the only one?
04-21-2015, 05:16 PM   #243
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Sometimes the German way of expressing things sounds harsh, but Germans are just like the rest of us otherwise. After they have been in another country and learn how we speak, they tone down. In German everything is declarative, even an opinion and meant as an opinion. It is a cultural bias.
Its not German thing....lol. I AM German !
ja .... sind Sie richtig!
Maybe this is why I use the exclamation point all the time ?
04-21-2015, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #244
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
FWIW, Mary thinks it is cool that I have Pentax cameras and old lenses to go with my new stuff.
That's because Mary is old enough to have some perspective. Only youngsters talk trash about Pentax. Those who have enough knowledge in the field to know, respect the Pentax brand. My co-worker doesn't think much about my Pentax because he's a Canon guy. But he doesn't know enough to know whether he has zooms or primes...or whether he has a real macro lens vs a zoom with a macro feature. And he makes his living with a camera!

04-21-2015, 08:10 PM   #245
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Regards!
Even a K-3 Prestige Edition?
04-21-2015, 08:34 PM   #246
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Those who have enough knowledge in the field to know, respect the Pentax brand. My co-worker doesn't think much about my Pentax because he's a Canon guy.
Just tell him the feeling is mutual.

QuoteQuote:
But he doesn't know enough to know whether he has zooms or primes...or whether he has a real macro lens vs a zoom with a macro feature. And he makes his living with a camera!
How is this possible? Just buy the most expensive thing or the highest rated thing by CNET and hope it works out?
04-21-2015, 08:51 PM   #247
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Regards!
Of course, the converse holds as well. Some people also make a fetish of knocking those who have anything more expensive or more complicated or even just newer than they have, in a sort of inverted snobbery. I've even had a less-than-gentle jibe here about my old Leica that used to appear in my avatar (since replaced with my equally snobby Q!). There's a lack of sorts in those unfortunate souls, too.

It's also true to say, on the other hand, that some people who have the resources just buy the most expensive of anything because they assume it'll be the best. The only thing necessarily lacking there is a depth of knowledge or understanding - they clearly don't lack the means.

04-21-2015, 08:52 PM   #248
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote

How is this possible? Just buy the most expensive thing or the highest rated thing by CNET and hope it works out?
Most people believe that expensive (and big) cameras equate to better photos with consideration on who is behind it. by their definition (again most people), Pentax is a cheap brand name, therefore, must be not that good compare to Canikon.

Last edited by aleonx3; 04-21-2015 at 08:58 PM.
04-21-2015, 09:07 PM   #249
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Most people believe that expensive (and big) cameras equate to better photos with consideration on who is behind it. by their definition (again most people), Pentax is a cheap brand name, therefore, must be not that good compare to Canikon.
Well sure, but how can one make a living believing this? If this is your attitude, the photos will show it.
04-22-2015, 04:20 AM   #250
Veteran Member

Well sure, but how can one make a living believing this? If this is your attitude, the photos will show it.
Mh. People may lack technical skill/knowledge but still have a good eye for composition.
04-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #251
Pentaxian

I do not make money from my pictures. I know my K-5 and my Pentax lenses are capable of much better than I can deliver and significantly better than any future need I can foresee. Indeed, with the (hopefully) imminent appearance of the full-frame, I have in fact specifically instructed my wife NOT to try to surprise me with one, as I neither need it professionally nor want any expanded capability it may offer personally. In fact, even if (hypothetically speaking) I personally saved the CEO of Ricoh/Pentax from certain death and in return they sent the Lens Fairy to my house with the opportunity to pick any or all of the DA lenses currently existing by way of reward, I still would not take them all. Why not? Because I don't need them all, and it would not benefit me to have them all. I would almost ask for my dead *ist-DL back before taking them all.

All else being equal, the better camera and better lens will take the better image, and ultimately there comes a point where both come at a significant premium in price, but all else is so often NOT equal in photography that it's what you do with what you've got in the moment that so often counts, nor can some of those moments ever be repeated.
04-22-2015, 02:16 PM   #252
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phuey Quote
So recently I was at my cousin's engagement party and I was one of the many photographers along with a hired "professional" photographer. I was walking around with my limited lenses on my k-x taking random photos of relatives, etc when the "professional" photographer asked me "Pentax? Why pentax?"

From then we had a full blown conversation and pretty much all I could hear from him was "Pentax is no longer a competitor against Nikon and Canon." "How come you didn't buy Nikon?" Etc. THEN he had the audacity of comparing his Nikon d700 to my k-x. Like, are you serious? a $500 dslr against a $3000 dslr.

So is it common that a lot of "Pros" talk down about Pentax or was this guy just a major hater and fan boy?
Not really a fair comparison per se but canon/nikon both have much better offerings from a pro standpoint so i can see why he would say that. The d700 is also not $3000, so im not quite sure where you're getting that from. It's $800. Pentax's latest offering the k3 cant hold a candle to the D4 or D800. Yes, i know that they are in a different price point, but but is that nikon (and canon) offers these things and if a photographer needs the best of the best in the most demanding situations, they would be hard pressed to go with pentax imo.
04-22-2015, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #253
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Not really a fair comparison per se but canon/nikon both have much better offerings from a pro standpoint so i can see why he would say that. The d700 is also not $3000, so im not quite sure where you're getting that from. It's $800. Pentax's latest offering the k3 cant hold a candle to the D4 or D800. Yes, i know that they are in a different price point, but but is that nikon (and canon) offers these things and if a photographer needs the best of the best in the most demanding situations, they would be hard pressed to go with pentax imo.
This is a bit like saying that GM doesn't make good cars because BMW engines offer much better performance. Therefore, everyone who buys a GM is wasting their money because BMW offers better cars that they're not buying. But if you compare the Cadillac CTS to the BMWs, then you have a fight.

If a camera model doesn't offer what you need, it doesn't say anything about the brand as a whole. Sure, you can reuse lenses if you do decide to step up, but most people will not step up to cameras that cost 2-3X what they already own. It's like arguing that everyone should always buy Canon because they offer $10k sports lenses that Pentaxians can only dream about. But if you're never going to spend that much money on a lens (and few people will), the options Canon is offering aren't really options at all. They're just things you never actually benefit from.
04-22-2015, 04:36 PM   #254
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
...The d700 is also not $3000, so im not quite sure where you're getting that from. It's $800. .
you realize he posted that in 2010 when the d700 had a $3000 retail, right?

source: The original cost of D700 ? - Photo.net Nikon Forum
04-22-2015, 08:29 PM   #255
Forum Member

This is a bit like saying that GM doesn't make good cars because BMW engines offer much better performance. Therefore, everyone who buys a GM is wasting their money because BMW offers better cars that they're not buying. But if you compare the Cadillac CTS to the BMWs, then you have a fight.

If a camera model doesn't offer what you need, it doesn't say anything about the brand as a whole. Sure, you can reuse lenses if you do decide to step up, but most people will not step up to cameras that cost 2-3X what they already own. It's like arguing that everyone should always buy Canon because they offer $10k sports lenses that Pentaxians can only dream about. But if you're never going to spend that much money on a lens (and few people will), the options Canon is offering aren't really options at all. They're just things you never actually benefit from.
The suspension in a Cadillac CTS is designed by Mercedes. Thats the only reason they stand a chance against a BMW and ofcourse the big LS series V8 in them :P