Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2015, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #271
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I have a Nikon D810 and a Df (same sensor as the D4) and it is my considered opinion that the K-3 DOES hold a candle to them as far as image quality and a lot of other features are concerned. Yes the D810 has a full frame 36 mpx sensor, but for most uses I am hard pressed to see any difference in the end result. When it comes to value for money its the D810 and Df that cannot hold a candle to the Pentax. When the full-frame Pentax comes along, I am retiring the NIkons, that's how highly I think of Pentax cameras and lenses.
It's refreshing to read an honest opinion from someone who has the experience (with different systems) and an unbiased perspective. These are the posts that I value the most here at the forum. Thank you.

A lot of folks (including myself) discuss the minutia of dslr specs, the hardware, the performance at specific parameters, scrutinizing the pixels and the noise performance. We often seem to forget that even the most basic and rudimentary photographic equipment have the potential to satisfy most of peoples shootings needs, that the limiting factor is never the technology but the end user. A camera speaks through images alone, and sometimes when guided by a sensible eye, and moment's opportune amazing narrative works emerge. For all of us who invest time and money in photography any passing moment not accompanied by the sounds of a shutter firing, is a wasted moment.

Last edited by Stavri; 04-25-2015 at 12:42 PM.
04-28-2015, 01:20 PM - 2 Likes   #272
Veteran Member

Pentax has the FA 31mm, nothing more needs to be said
04-30-2015, 07:37 PM   #273
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Conqueror Quote
Pentax has the FA 31mm, nothing more needs to be said
never heard of it....
05-01-2015, 07:25 AM   #274

well pentax never have pro camera from days ist* - k10- till now it's prosumer only
i think with 645 thay want to pop in pro world but 645 without teethering is lol

05-01-2015, 04:16 PM - 2 Likes   #275
Veteran Member

it facinates me that people actually takes side about camera brands....really
NIkon, Canon, Pentax, Sony...all of these camreas are more than capable of taking quality photos.
Most of the time a good photo is simply the right composition with the right lighting and the correct settings and focus...plain and simple.
I've been pleasantly surprised by photos taken with an iPhone that looked fantastic especially with the right PP.

Personally my preference for Pentax is pretty simple....it is the most solid, well-built, best feeling DSLR that I've ever held in my hands.....my other camera of choice is Leica for the same obvious reasons.
The only drawback with Leica is that their lenses are way overpriced but are peerless and the best glass that you can buy hands-down.
05-01-2015, 06:21 PM - 2 Likes   #276
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
NIkon, Canon, Pentax, Sony...all of these camreas are more than capable of taking quality photos.
Most of the time a good photo is simply the right composition with the right lighting and the correct settings and focus...plain and simple.
About the most intelligent post in this thread. Thanks.
05-02-2015, 11:28 AM   #277
Veteran Member

I've been pleasantly surprised by photos taken with an iPhone that looked fantastic especially with the right PP..
This is true, though someone once said to me (without me starting it or prompting etc.)... "pentax were good in their day" ... I didn't react or say anything, but I didn't agree!

05-02-2015, 11:08 PM   #278

Photos: Gallery
Great to read these posts. I'm fascinated by the power of product placement and marketing. They seem to steer most people's opinions of camera choice and suitability. I really don't think a pro would need more than a K-3 or a K-5ii for that matter. The skill of the photographer to compose and get the best from the light is hard to sell on a web product comparison or review....as with most things, you can't buy talent, experience and hard work....and of course passion!
05-04-2015, 12:47 PM - 2 Likes   #279
Veteran Member

I've been pleasantly surprised by photos taken with an iPhone that looked fantastic especially with the right PP.

Personally my preference for Pentax is pretty simple....it is the most solid, well-built, best feeling DSLR that I've ever held in my hands.....my other camera of choice is Leica for the same obvious reasons.
The only drawback with Leica is that their lenses are way overpriced but are peerless and the best glass that you can buy hands-down.
A friend of mine broke part of this psychology down to me. She said many people choose brands based on how they view themselves. It explained why I see a certain amount of similarities of users of a certain brand.

Yes, all of those cameras are all capable of taking quality photos. When it comes to wildlife, wildlife will at least sooner or later, push your camera to its limits. A lot of Canon people talk like they are using the best cameras for wildlife. Occasionally, there are some who admit it when they things more for what they are and I like what one told me, "The results speak for themselves."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98462832@N04/
05-07-2015, 08:39 PM   #280
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
A friend of mine broke part of this psychology down to me. She said many people choose brands based on how they view themselves. It explained why I see a certain amount of similarities of users of a certain brand.

Yes, all of those cameras are all capable of taking quality photos. When it comes to wildlife, wildlife will at least sooner or later, push your camera to its limits. A lot of Canon people talk like they are using the best cameras for wildlife. Occasionally, there are some who admit it when they things more for what they are and I like what one told me, "The results speak for themselves."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98462832@N04/
That's interesting.

I always thought the chest thumping and brand fanboying you see all over the interest had more to do with people's need to be right. You see it on political issues all the time. It's not enough to hold position X. People want the government to back it so they can say, "See, people agree with me. X is the right way to be!" People just want to believe they have the best of everything, that they made a right decision.

That also explains why people parrot the same talking points. In order to be accepted, you spout what the others do. If you want to be a film connoisseur and all the critics love film Y, you'll find a way to love Y, even if you didn't actually like the film. But if you're not an authority and proclaim "CITIZEN KANE SUCKS!!" then no one is going to take you seriously. Comment threads on articles about such things are filled with vicious comments.
05-08-2015, 12:43 PM   #281
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by phuey Quote
He was old, late 60-70's.
That's not old. I'm 75!
05-08-2015, 01:24 PM   #282
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
That's interesting.

I always thought the chest thumping and brand fanboying you see all over the interest had more to do with people's need to be right. You see it on political issues all the time. It's not enough to hold position X. People want the government to back it so they can say, "See, people agree with me. X is the right way to be!" People just want to believe they have the best of everything, that they made a right decision.
That's called Confirmation Bias. You only seek out information which reinforces your previously held assumptions. Even hearing contradictory evidence will serve to reinforce that, as you conflate the source with the opposite of your assumptions.

Brand loyalty is all about confirmation bias and identity.
05-08-2015, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #283

When this happens to me last time, the talk was like this:

-Oh, so you have Pentax??
-Yeap!! I love how well built it is, and have some nice lens, and great features.
-But Canikon is better!! All pros are using canikon since digital era begins!! How are you a pro with a Pentax??
-Easy, I take pictures with this button, and sell them to the costumers. They said my pictures are good. I believe I have to learn a lot yet. Are we gonna talk about photography or gear??

My partner shots Nikon, and he is agree that K3 is way better than D7100...so he get a D610, lol. Its like arms race and we laugh about it, we already learn that there will be always better gear, and that you can take amazing pictures with a cellphone.

By the way, if you put some Yonguo radio flash trigger for Nikon, then a Cactus V6, and then any speedlight. You can share the softbox or the umbrella with your partner. So, in weddings you can take close ups with the 70-200, and he can take the landscape, full body pictures with his 24mm.
05-09-2015, 01:27 AM   #284
Forum Member

Many older gentlemen have "rusted on" syndrome. Don't tell them that though, I foolishly did that once and the guy lost it.
05-09-2015, 08:59 AM   #285
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hal55 Quote
Many older gentlemen have "rusted on" syndrome. Don't tell them that though, I foolishly did that once and the guy lost it.
Many younger people have 'shiny metal' syndrome. Don't tell them that, though, if you are a little weathered. I foolishly did that once and the kid went all microaggression on me.