Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 58 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #286
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ahab Quote
That's not old. I'm 75!
Well, for sure I'm a lot younger than you: It will be 32 days before I am 75.

11-23-2015, 06:01 PM   #287
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neostyles Quote
Not really a fair comparison per se but canon/nikon both have much better offerings from a pro standpoint so i can see why he would say that. Pentax's latest offering the k3 cant hold a candle to the D4 or D800.

All I have to say about that is - bull crap. The K20D through K-3 Mk.II are all professional grade cameras even if Pentax won't say so. I'll put my K-5 up against the latest from Canon or Nikon any day.
11-23-2015, 06:14 PM   #288
Veteran Member

I shot with a k20 for over a year and while it's a fun (if quirky camera) would have to disagree with you. Pentax's flash system doesnt stack up with the competition, not to mention the af is atleast several years behind. It's almost completely unable to track anything except slow moving objects. AF has really been pentax's Achilles heel. Photography is all about moments obviously. Capturing the right moment can make the difference between and ok shot and a great shot. Battary life is another thing that i think isnt really helping their case. According to snapsort, the d750 gets twice as many shots as the k3.

Last edited by neostyles; 11-23-2015 at 06:34 PM.
11-23-2015, 06:40 PM - 1 Like   #289
Site Supporter

Pros don't talk trash. Because they don't need to.

11-23-2015, 08:57 PM   #290
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Many younger people have 'shiny metal' syndrome.
To be fair that is largely because of the opposite sex has an attraction to shiny things. Seriously, when I got my 19.5 Karat red gold flute, girls in the university orchestra were even more eager to sit next to me in the woodwind section.

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
That's called Confirmation Bias. You only seek out information which reinforces your previously held assumptions.
Yes, Confirmation bias is what is really behind brand loyalty: Hardcore Leicaphiles elevate it to an art form - all you have to do to invoke their impotent wrath is mention the Konica Hexar RF. They will never fail to do whatever they can to discredit the fact that a Japanese camera manufacturer produced a product that was in many way superior to the Leica M7.

Last edited by Digitalis; 11-23-2015 at 09:07 PM.
11-24-2015, 04:10 AM   #291
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I shot with a k20 for over a year and while it's a fun (if quirky camera) would have to disagree with you. Pentax's flash system doesnt stack up with the competition, not to mention the af is atleast several years behind. It's almost completely unable to track anything except slow moving objects. AF has really been pentax's Achilles heel. Photography is all about moments obviously. Capturing the right moment can make the difference between and ok shot and a great shot. Battary life is another thing that i think isnt really helping their case. According to snapsort, the d750 gets twice as many shots as the k3.
The K3 and K3 II are fine cameras and they are certainly near the top with regard to APS-C performance. 7D MK II and D7200 are their competition and they are all decent cameras which are very capable and have fine battery life.

The D750 is clearly quite a bit more expensive and will be a step up with regard to performance.

I would agree with you with regard to flash performance, but auto focus has improved considerably since the K20 and it would behoove you to try more recent vintage cameras before castigating their auto focus performance. At this point if you are unable to get shots with a K3, it is more likely photographer error than it is camera problems.
11-24-2015, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #292
Forum Member

Pentax's flash system doesnt stack up with the competition
This has not always been true. They have had, over the years, leading and innovative flash systems. I do agree this is true about the latest PTTL units though, and I really wish they would support plain TTL again so I could go back to my good old AF500FTZ. That, at the time (straight TTL years), was second to none. They also supported in-body flash compensation in the PZ-1p. No other manufacturer ever did that AFAIK.

AF has really been pentax's Achilles heel.
I suppose there are times when you need that, but to tell the truth I don;t miss it. I've shot action (off-road motorcycles) and nature and my best work is done with manual focus anyway.

11-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #293
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Well, for sure I'm a lot younger than you: It will be 32 days before I am 75.
Boy, you guys are making me feel so young! I won't be 75 for another 7 months!
11-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #294
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
Pentax's latest offering the k3 cant hold a candle to the D4 or D800.
Really? How about showing some proof of this; have you personally used these cameras?

I guess the title of the thread, is correct; "talking trash about Pentax"!
11-24-2015, 09:22 AM   #295
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
To be fair that is largely because of the opposite sex has an attraction to shiny things.
I was pretty sure that digital rev TV had at some stage done a vid on how to pick up women with a camera. I can't seem to find it now, though - perhaps it was just a comment thread within another clip. But it certainly echoes the thought you've expressed here. That being said, shiny may attract, but you know you've got a keeper when she goes for your BLACK Spotmatic.
11-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #296
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
. That being said, shiny may attract, but you know you've got a keeper when she goes for your BLACK Spotmatic.
Hence the saying, once they've gone black, never going back, Pathdoc.
11-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #297
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Originally posted by zekewhipper
Pentax's latest offering the k3 cant hold a candle to the D4 or D800.

Really? How about showing some proof of this; have you personally used these cameras?

I guess the title of the thread, is correct; "talking trash about Pentax"!
The above is not what I said but what Neostyles said. My exchange with them was : "Originally posted by neostyles
Not really a fair comparison per se but canon/nikon both have much better offerings from a pro standpoint so i can see why he would say that. Pentax's latest offering the k3 cant hold a candle to the D4 or D800.

(from me) All I have to say about that is - bull crap. The K20D through K-3 Mk.II are all professional grade cameras even if Pentax won't say so. I'll put my K-5 up against the latest from Canon or Nikon any day.
05-09-15 01:40 PM
11-24-2015, 04:47 PM   #298
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My goodness. The D800 and the K3 certainly can be compared. Here is a link a a series of tests I did comparing my D800 + 80-400mm vs. K3 + 60-250mm. In the end, this totally subjective comparison convinced me to buy into the Pentax system. FWIW: I still love my D800 system and use it for all my normal to wide shots -- certainly one of the best full frame cameras ever made. But the K-3 kicks ass on the long end (as well as weather resistance, speed, lightweight, etc. etc.).

As always, YMMV

Michael
11-24-2015, 05:00 PM   #299
Pentaxian

I suspect that one of the benefits of the new K-1 is that it will enable wide-angle Pentax glass to be used as it ought to be. Tele-aficionados will find themselves gravitating to the APS-C K3 successor or towards a teleconverter to claw back the apparent focal lengths they lost when they went to full-frame.
11-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #300
Veteran Member

Have the camera companies, lens makers, and most other photographers given up on understanding that putting full-frame lenses on an APS-C camera DOES NOT change the focal length? The crop factor is NOT a focal length multiplier. It only changes the apparent angle of view of the scene captured. A 300mm lens for example DOES NOT become a 450mm lens but stays a 300mm one. It just captures the view of a 450mm lens but does no actual magnification.