Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #1

"Pros" talking trash about Pentax?

So recently I was at my cousin's engagement party and I was one of the many photographers along with a hired "professional" photographer. I was walking around with my limited lenses on my k-x taking random photos of relatives, etc when the "professional" photographer asked me "Pentax? Why pentax?"

From then we had a full blown conversation and pretty much all I could hear from him was "Pentax is no longer a competitor against Nikon and Canon." "How come you didn't buy Nikon?" Etc. THEN he had the audacity of comparing his Nikon d700 to my k-x. Like, are you serious? a $500 dslr against a $3000 dslr.

So is it common that a lot of "Pros" talk down about Pentax or was this guy just a major hater and fan boy?

08-02-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Older gentleman or a younger guy? I noticed more younger shooters like to "shoot down" other brands more.

It's one thing to just discus brands and ask about them. You know just talking shop. It's also strange that he would talk to you like that, it's not like you were his second shooter and was expecting you to show up with a FF camera.

Either way it's rude and awkward, what he should have done is just leave you with sage advice and maybe even politely sway you to nikon or something.
08-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kalison Quote
Older gentleman or a younger guy? I noticed more younger shooters like to "shoot down" other brands more.

It's one thing to just discus brands and ask about them. You know just talking shop. It's also strange that he would talk to you like that, it's not like you were his second shooter and was expecting you to show up with a FF camera.

Either way it's rude and awkward, what he should have done is just leave you with sage advice and maybe even politely sway you to nikon or something.

He was old, late 60-70's.
08-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by phuey Quote
He was old, late 60-70's.
Surprising. Most people in that age range usually have fond memories of the companies like pentax and minolta.

My dad was a hardcore minolta guy, but even he speaks highly of the pentax brand. Even my local shops are very pentax friendly and love to chat with me about all brands. Even though they don't sell any pentax stuff, and generally just push canon and nikon.

Oh well. Maybe he is just mad they aren't as competitive in a market he is/was after. He might have had to switch reluctantly and still carries a chip? Oh well. Doesn't matter much anyway I guess.

08-02-2010, 10:33 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So recently I was at my cousin's engagement party and I was one of the many photographers along with a hired "professional" photographer. I was walking around with my limited lenses on my k-x taking random photos of relatives, etc when the "professional" photographer asked me "Pentax? Why pentax?"

From then we had a full blown conversation and pretty much all I could hear from him was "Pentax is no longer a competitor against Nikon and Canon." "How come you didn't buy Nikon?" Etc. THEN he had the audacity of comparing his Nikon d700 to my k-x. Like, are you serious? a $500 dslr against a $3000 dslr.

So is it common that a lot of "Pros" talk down about Pentax or was this guy just a major hater and fan boy?
Let's compare the 645D to the D700 then.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Ridiculous. It didn't sound like the 'pro' was very confident in his trade or his gear. Really, why should he even care what camera brand you were using?

What would he have done if you were carrying a Sony or Olympus? Or a Leica or a Lomo, for that matter. Gotten into a fist-fight with you?

He was just a grumpy old fanboy and gearfag. You should have said your other camera was a 645D.
08-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
We get a thread like this pretty often.

Look, I've had Pentax cameras and glass for longer than many around here have been alive. It suits my needs as a serious amateur-semi pro just fine, and dollar for dollar and pound for pound, it is better for me than what Canon or Nikon offers.

However, If I were 25 years old today, had just gotten an SBA loan, and I had $10,000+ to spend on a rig that was to earn me a livelihood, I'm not sure I would buy a Pentax DSLR. As a full-time pro, I might want something that is made especially for my needs, and, more importantly, ubiquitous so that finding accessories, repairs, etc. will never get in the way of my living.

08-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #8

People are entitled to their opinions. What makes Nikon a good choice for wedding photographer is their flash system, which Pentax is not very good at. However, comparing Kx to D700 is just downright silly.
08-02-2010, 10:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I was last year at the wedding of my nephew with my K20D, my FA*85 and my FA 31 limited; I had a discussion also with the pro engaged here - with a lot of respect because he knows me for 30 years; he explained me that for wedding full frame Canon was mandatory - don't ask me why; the result is that with my couple of great Pentax lenses and my K20D there are a lot of shots looking better than those of the Canon - used with a crappy 28-105 though. Conclusion ? With a good body - and Pentax K20D or K7 are good ones - and excellent lenses you are able to achieve better results than with a "pro" labeled stuff; "pro" here being a marketing gimmick
08-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cyy47 Quote
People are entitled to their opinions. What makes Nikon a good choice for wedding photographer is their flash system, which Pentax is not very good at. However, comparing Kx to D700 is just downright silly.
Well said. Not only could you buy 5 K-x bodies for the price of a D700, you could put a few of them in the same space.

I've never talked trash about anyone's point and shoot, for that matter. What's the point?
08-02-2010, 11:11 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Really sort of odd coming from an "old guy Nikon shooter." I rarely get static from the Nikon crowd... but I've had Canon guys with Rebels and kit lenses talk down about my K20D with the BIGMA mounted on it. No curing stupidity though...

Mike
08-02-2010, 11:15 AM - 4 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

People who spend big coin on gear generally feel the need to justify it. Add to that the proliferation of brand oriented web sites that are often little more than mutual masterbation societies.
But, the general consensus among the "pro" community (and at this point the pro community has been pretty much watered down to a bunch of camera toting w@nkers) is that you are either shooting Nikon or Canon, or you aren't in the game.

Pentax, in my opinion, made a huge blunder over a couple of decades by allowing their 35mm cameras to fall so far behind the curve. By not marketing to that class of pro photographer, they have taken themselves from a manufacturer to be respected to one to be mocked.
The average DLSR user couldn't give a whit that for Pentax, pro meant medium format film.
In the minds of most pro photographers, film is yesterdays news, and what camera makers did with film cameras is of absolutely no importance.

I was at a wedding as a guest a couple of years ago. The Pro was using a Nikon D300 and didn't have a clue about what she was doing, to the point of being out of position for the recessional.

The picture that the B&G put on the wall was one that I shot, available light, from the back of the room, and on their first anniversary I took them into the studio and reshot their formals because the pro had botched the job so badly.

I just tell people now that if they want to wank, buy whatever floats their boat, I make very good pictures with what I'm using, and if they are having problems with that, perhaps they should spend some time learning their craft.
08-02-2010, 11:21 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Really sort of odd coming from an "old guy Nikon shooter." I rarely get static from the Nikon crowd... but I've had Canon guys with Rebels and kit lenses talk down about my K20D with the BIGMA mounted on it. No curing stupidity though...

Mike
Actually, I've never gotten it from a true pro. Usually, it is another enthusiast that goes down that path.
08-02-2010, 11:30 AM - 3 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

The correct answer would have been to point at your Limited lens and say "I shoot Pentax because Nikon doesn't have anything like this!"
08-02-2010, 11:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
+1 on the above!