Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #1

K-x or save for k7

I know there have been numerous thread about this but I'm kind of down in the dumps today. I ordered a kx last monday from ccr camera and was told Wednesday it was shipped out but I never received a tracking number. So I emailed them and got nothing and finally called them this morning because they where closed over the weekend and was told that the camera was never shipped out so I just got a full refund.

Well now I have been cameraless for about 2 weeks now and I'm dying to go shooting again but I have no camera and its going to take 3-5 days to get the money back in my account. Well should I just try and hold out for a k7?

I have bigger hands and that was one thing that always annoyed me about my k100ds I had. I could use the weather sealing because I love shooting surf and living in Florida you never know what the weather will do. but I've heard that the iso isn't on par with the K-x but is still okay but I'm just wondering if its worth the extra $300

08-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
Definitely glad I went for the K-7 as the extra money was worth it. If you can wait another month the new models will be announced. If not, I don't think you will regret the K-7. The deciding factors for me were the front e-dial, much higher res rear LCD, 100% viewfinder with AF red lights, WR body, etc. The only thing K-x has going for it is lower price, better high-ISO, and smaller size for carry, all good features.
08-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you think k100d is too small, then k7 wouldn't be much bigger for you. I have both and the sizes are similar. However, the ergonimics is great and fits my hand perfectly. Then again, I have smallish hands. :-)
08-02-2010, 06:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
well the main thing for me would be the size I moved to a canon 10d from my k100ds and it fit perfect in my hands and that was about the only thing good about it.lol but when are the next models going to come out next year or in the fall?

08-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cyy47 Quote
If you think k100d is too small, then k7 wouldn't be much bigger for you. I have both and the sizes are similar. However, the ergonimics is great and fits my hand perfectly. Then again, I have smallish hands. :-)
lucky you.lol I'll bite the bullet for the pentax smaller bodies then, does the grip help much?
08-02-2010, 06:13 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by catsman50 Quote
well the main thing for me would be the size I moved to a canon 10d from my k100ds and it fit perfect in my hands and that was about the only thing good about it.lol but when are the next models going to come out next year or in the fall?
The next bodies will probably be announced around September 21st at the Photokina tradeshow. Due to the significant FW upgrade the K-7 just had, some are speculating that the K-7 will stay in the lineup but be complemented by some bodies specced above or below it. That's all wild guessing though.

If you wanted a larger Pentax body you could go for a K20 instead and/or buy a battery grip.
08-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #7

Original Poster
eh I really don't want to get a used body. and I don't think I can wait that long for a new body to come out.lol
08-02-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian

Well should I just try and hold out for a k7?
I have bigger hands and that was one thing that always annoyed me about my k100ds I had. I could use the weather sealing because I love shooting surf and living in Florida you never know what the weather will do. but I've heard that the iso isn't on par with the K-x but is still okay but I'm just wondering if its worth the extra $300
From the description of your photogaphy, I would say that the WR is a big plus.

Both the K-x and K-7 are nice cameras and you will not be wrong with either. The K-x is an entry level however and the K-7 is a semi-pro. I chose the K-7 (over the the K-x) for the WR. Since I got it, the camera was wet several times and I am very glad that I chose the K-7.

08-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

The question is what do you want to do with the camera - what type of photography, and what do you want the camera to do for you? Also, do you want a new body?

It sounds like the K20 might serve you better with its larger size and weather resistance. Are there any features of the K7 that the K20 doesn't have that you really need or want? You might be able to find a K20 with the majority of the 2 year warranty still in force.

... just some ideas ...
08-02-2010, 06:30 PM   #10

Original Poster
yeah my k100ds got way to salty and way to wet for my liking a lot of the time. How is the af performance of the k7 to the k-x
08-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
The question is what do you want to do with the camera - what type of photography, and what do you want the camera to do for you? Also, do you want a new body?

It sounds like the K20 might serve you better with its larger size and weather resistance. Are there any features of the K7 that the K20 doesn't have that you really need or want? You might be able to find a K20 with the majority of the 2 year warranty still in force.

... just some ideas ...
I really would like a new body and I think it could be a lot of fun experimenting with the video for surf. A majority of my shooting is outdoors but also a lot is with family indoors so the kx is where I would like that. But is the k7 iso marginally better then the k100d indoors?
08-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #12

lucky you.lol I'll bite the bullet for the pentax smaller bodies then, does the grip help much?
I actually do have the authentic Pentax grip for K7, but don't use it much. It's kind of big for my hand, which is to say it may be perfect for you. I save it for long travel when battery may be a problem. The best way to tell is to go to a store and try it out.
08-03-2010, 03:24 PM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

Keep saving for what you think you need and you'll wind up buying nothing.

Spend $529 total on a k-x with 18-55 kit and start shooting.

And I guarantee you that if you wait to save more and spend more on the K7, your photos won't be a single bit better.

Very few award-winning photos got that way because of body size or WR.
08-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #14

Original Poster
true. I really wish some place around here carried pentax dslr
08-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Imho neither... you just sit still and save up for the K-5... it will surely have a supperiour sensor than K-7, and will be better quipped than K-x... it's worth the wait...