Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2010, 05:14 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Ever Damaged Your Lens Hood?

Hi All,

I don't know aobut you guys but I feel that any lens looks naked without it's lens hood on. I know that lens hoods are invaluable when you're working in daylight but I put them on even when owrking indoors - I know I'm sick but lenses need their hoods on when they're working.

So, imaging my angst when I damaged the hood on my 55-300. I tried Adoram and B&H but they seem to offer a wide range of original Pentax lens hoods but - you guessed it - none for the 55-300. After ordering and taking delivery of a cheap rubber one, I found this on store on eBay: eBay My World - storetwo

It looks like they have replacement lens hoods for all the lenses out there and then some. I promptly ordered one for my 55-300. The one I received is exactly the same as the original Pentax one - it even has the cool removeable bit on the bottom so you can easily work your polariser. The plastic used is not as good as the Pentax but it sure beats NOT having a lens hood on!

Just thought I'd share teh info with the other sick lens hood fans out there.

Cheers,

Ramon

08-03-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Genuine Pentax hoods should be available from B&H/Adorama, though- I'd ask in our B&H forum as to why that isn't.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-03-2010, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rortiz Quote
. . . sick lens hood fans out there.
Well, this site should provide you with hours of amusement.

Free printable cardboard lens hoods

The patterns can be used to easily modify cylindrical hoods and re-build unused hoods if you're handy with a Dremel tool.

Schedule 20 plastic plumbing materials (end caps, adapters, etc.) can be modified and attached to "gutted" filter rings in an endless variety of custom patterns. Same with small food tins -- square-ish metal boxes and tops, etc. Just a rubber band and a stiff postcard can solve a lot of problems.

It's especially fun to drag one of these DIY hoods out in front of photo-gear snobs to solve a flare problem no one else can handle. If you REALLY wanna rub it in, take it off and throw it in the trash when you're finished then watch to see who goes trash-diving!

H2
08-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Genuine Pentax hoods should be available from B&H/Adorama, though- I'd ask in our B&H forum as to why that isn't.
I just ordered the tulip hood for my kit coming tomorrow, and it's not Pentax, nor did the Pentax one even come up as a linked accessory to buy when I bought the camera.

More profit in the 3rd party.

08-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #5

Thanks for the link, just ordered a lenshood for my 50-200 pentax lens

Last edited by Sakura; 08-03-2010 at 12:25 PM.
08-03-2010, 11:59 AM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by rortiz Quote
but lenses need their hoods on when they're working.
They sure do, mine on all times, for protection if nothing else, I don't use filters for this purpose.
08-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #7
Forum Member

My kit lens lens hood (from my dear departed k10D) would pop off really easy. Once too many times and it ended up inj the gulf of mexico....
08-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Have broken both my 16-45mm & 60-250mm hoods

Seem a bit weak to me .. both cracked in the same place (where the slidy out bit is)

08-03-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Pentax PH-RBG Lens Hood (58mm Diameter) for SMCP-DA 38761 - B&H

It's expensive but is most certainly available.

08-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Yes. A friend ran over my tripod with my camera and kit lens with hood attached. The hood saved my camera. And cracked pretty decently. Other than that I've broken the part that holds on to the filter ring on my hood for the m 85mm. I just bought another on the marketplace
08-04-2010, 03:57 AM   #11
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Genuine Pentax hoods should be available from B&H/Adorama, ......
We do stock them but they are currently on back order from the manufacturer, and we can't get an ETA as to when to expect the next delivery.
08-04-2010, 04:09 AM   #12
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, probably the most flimsy component of a lens - and I cracked my 16-50's hood by a freak accident chasing after it on a busy footpath... crunch...
08-04-2010, 08:44 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
I just ordered the tulip hood for my kit coming tomorrow, and it's not Pentax, nor did the Pentax one even come up as a linked accessory to buy when I bought the camera.

More profit in the 3rd party.
3rd party hoods (plastic, not rubber) have been available for at least 3 weeks or so. I ordered my K-x on July 9, looked up hoods for the 55-300mm about then or a day or two later and found several, pretty similar items, all shipping from Asia and all priced at 13.99 free shipping. I ordered one a few days later, hasn't arrived yet. I have wished it had because I miss it! Any day, I figure. Others have reported receiving theirs and like them. Another shape has turned up (tulip shape), and cheaper ($8.49? Free shipping), off ebay, also from Asia, and plastic, I saw yesterday.

I too am thinking the lenses look vulnerable without the hood on, indoors or outdoors, and plan on using them regularly. I don't plan on using a UV, at least for the time being. I got a plastic knock off hood for the 18-55mm, domestically, and received it about the same time I got the camera.
08-04-2010, 09:04 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Yep, probably the most flimsy component of a lens - and I cracked my 16-50's hood by a freak accident chasing after it on a busy footpath... crunch...
lmao

Did You catch it or did somebody Else?

08-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #15

My 17-70 DA lens hood saved the lens and K20D body w/ grip during a fall. The hood was split around the lower sliding door. I used black electrical tape to fix it, although now the sliding door is taped shut. It looks fine and the tape is very hard to notice. Only problem is that the hood doesn't stay attached as well as it used to before it was broken.