Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Inactive Account

ist DL Shutter problem? I need help!!

Hi all, I have this ist dl camera I picked up cheap at an estate sale, and now I know why....It did not have a sd card, and I did not see the problem....I get a a black band acrosss the top of every shot, either of the 2 lenses, or not lens at all...same issue....was told it was a shutter problem and only Pentax could fix it... every thing else seems perfect, exposure, focus etc . I'll try and attach a pic to show what I mean

Attached Images

08-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Either a shutter problem or a flash synchronization problem (the flash doesn't fire quite at the right time).

How do photos without flash come out?
08-03-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
airedog - shutter problem

The same, flash or not....and I am sure it has nothing to do with lenses b/c it happens w/ either lens, or no lens at all! Thanks
08-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Just a guess here, perhaps the cam was dropped at one time and the sensor is misaligned or part of the shutter box is hanging in front of it? I think a shutter problem would leave a sharper edge, that looks more like a shadow to me.

08-04-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

It looks like a shutter problem. The lower part of the sensor doesn't get exposed ("lower" since the image is projected upside down on the sensor). You might be able to see a hanging shutter blade in B exposure mode, without a lens attached.

It is unfortunately not worth a repair. You can probably find a well cared for *istDS or K100D for only little more than a repair would cost.
08-05-2010, 04:52 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks ! EBAY time

Hey I only paid $50 for the camera, strap, paperwork, a SMC DA 50-200 lens, and a 18-55 lens.....EBAY here I come!
08-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Take off lens and go to menu for sensor cleaning. When activate sensor clean shutter must be full open. So if you open shutter this way and can see shutter blade you will know shutter is not longer good.
09-07-2010, 06:50 AM   #8

I am sometimes having the same problem with my K100D. I think it is the mirror not getting out of the way. If I use the 2 sec delay it does not happen. With the delay the mirror has a full 2 sec to retract. My puchase was similar. Mine was an unused camera that was sitting a long time unused. I wish I had a solution. I need one too. I just tried it again. It will happen at 2 sec delay. Every other time it worked. If the mirror retracts to slowly, will it cause a shadow on the top or bottom?

Last edited by koala; 09-07-2010 at 08:15 AM.
09-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by koala Quote
I am sometimes having the same problem with my K100D. I think it is the mirror not getting out of the way. If I use the 2 sec delay it does not happen. With the delay the mirror has a full 2 sec to retract. My puchase was similar. Mine was an unused camera that was sitting a long time unused. I wish I had a solution. I need one too. I just tried it again. It will happen at 2 sec delay. Every other time it worked. If the mirror retracts to slowly, will it cause a shadow on the top or bottom?
If the mirror retracts too slowly, the top of the sensor is covered so you will see the shadow on the bottom of the photo. If you want to see just how *unused* your camera is do this..

Download PhotoMe from Photome.com
Use it to open the last photo you took.
Scroll down to the Camera Information section and find the 'Shutter Count'
That is the number of times the shutter has been actuated.

As to your specific problem, try activating the sensor clean function several times and see if that loosens things up. I wouldn't think however, that the shutter would even open if the mirror had not completed it's travel. That's just a theory of course, no proof either way.

09-07-2010, 03:18 PM   #10

Thanx for the info. I am having a little trouble downloading right now. Probably because I am in Mexico. The problem depends on shutter speed. The problem starts at 350 and by time I reach 2000 there is no picture. Being an old computer person, I would like to back off the firmware from 1.02 to1.00. I don't think I had the problem at first, but I can't find old firmware right now.
09-09-2010, 08:17 AM   #11

I believe my problem is the shutter or timing because I can "see" the shadow getting bigger as the speed increases. I just don't know if the shutter is too slow or the camera is taking the picture too soon. Airdog's shadow looks just like mine except it is always the same. It looks to me like the shutter is just not opening all the way. It is a shame considering that a digital camera can operate without a shutter. For $50 I might consider using it as is and cropping out the shadow.