Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Pentax K-x Broken Flash

Hi All,

My toddler got ahold of my new K-x and dropped it on the floor. As far as I can tell there is no damage except that the built-in flash no longer works. The camera's computer still recognizes when the delete/flash button is pushed, but the flash won't pop up. I've tried to gently pull at the flash while holding down the button to no avail.

Any suggestions? I don't use the flash often, but I don't want to live without it long-term. Is this something I can try to fix myself? Any guess on repair cost?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

08-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it remotely possible that the camera is in some mode that doesn't allow or use flash? Somewhere here there is another thread about a similar situation where the flash wouldn't pop up. Don't know what ever happened with that poster's camera but it might be worth seeking out the thread.

08-04-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would bring the camera to a service centre and have it repaired by a professional.
Trying to repair it yourself might damage the camera even more.

Maybe, if you are lucky, you can charge the cost out to a credit card company, if you did use one to pay for the camera.
Here in the Netherlands, some credit card companies insure purchases done with that card against accidents like this.

- Bert
08-04-2010, 12:34 AM   #4
Veteran Member

It's a long shot, but did you try letting it sit without batteries for a while?

08-04-2010, 12:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Unfortunately the Kx's flash is an electronically controlled catch and release, unlike the mechanically controlled one on the K7. The electronic release mechanism might have been damaged in the fall. However, this is a great excuse to get a modest external flash that will definitely make your flash pictures look better A totally full featured one like the one in my sig can be had for just around 100 bucks, not cheap in itself but relatively cheap for a piece of vital DSLR gear
08-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice guys. I tried leaving the batteries out but the flash is still broken. I have an old top-mounted flash that came with an old camera I bought (for the lenses) that should fit on the camera. I guess I'll just be thankful the camera is still funtional otherwise.
08-05-2010, 08:14 AM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

DON'T use that flash until you make certain its trigger voltage isn't too high! Older flashes for may fry the camera circuitry.