Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2010, 01:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Put it in the oven for a few hours at a low temperature. say the warm setting on the oven. 120-150F should be plenty of heat, but not melt the plastic.

You need to completely dry it out.

When I worked at a film lab my co-worker dropped her phone in the toilet. I put it on the exhaust vent for the film dryer for the rest of the day. The dry heat dried it out within 4 hours and it worked fine. The phone was so hot it burned to touch it, but it worked!

08-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm with Kalison - rice might do the trick. Here's what I'd suggest:

Place the camera body in a ziplock bag and don't entirely seal the bag. Place this bag inside a larger bag filled with rice. Seal the second bag tight. Let it sit. Rice is great at sucking moisture from things. One of my users dropped her BlackBerry in the toilet a couple of years ago. The device stopped working. I told her about the rice trick and she had the thing back up within an hour. Don't put the camera in the oven.
08-04-2010, 03:32 PM   #18
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
My nephew dropped my mother's cell phone in the dog's water dish once. A friend of mine, his 4 year old son tried to flush his down the toilet. Both phones recovered with dry out time. Give it a couple days and it may recover itself (I do agree with trying some sort of drying agent in a closed container). Good luck.

By the way, it's usually Hubby who has to convince the wife. Never heard of it being the other way around .. Since it's not my money we're spending here, my vote is for the K7 if you have to replace.

Okay obviously you haven't been hanging around quite enough. I'm ALWAYS asking you guys here how I can convince my husband of the new techie toys that I "need."
08-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
Okay obviously you haven't been hanging around quite enough. I'm ALWAYS asking you guys here how I can convince my husband of the new techie toys that I "need."

I've seen your posts, yes. I'm not married so I can only speak from anecdotal evidence but it's Usually the Wife who has the say or is the one who needs to be convinced. On the other hand, what Mrs wants, she usually gets. She may Ask for agreement but she usually gets it. This and my other comment are as far as I'm going in to anybody's marriage. Dangerous territory.

08-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
lets it dry all doors open put some dessicants to absorb moisture..
dont power it up just yet!

wait for it to dry about 3 to 5 days
08-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I saved an iPhone twice using the kitty litter trick. It helps to control the environment so that the kitty litter or rice doesn't get saturated with moisture in the air and some airflow is encouraged to help the process along.

As long as you didn't drop it into salt water...

Good luck!
08-04-2010, 06:53 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mountain Vision Quote
Put it in the oven for a few hours at a low temperature. say the warm setting on the oven. 120-150F should be plenty of heat, but not melt the plastic.

You need to completely dry it out.

When I worked at a film lab my co-worker dropped her phone in the toilet. I put it on the exhaust vent for the film dryer for the rest of the day. The dry heat dried it out within 4 hours and it worked fine. The phone was so hot it burned to touch it, but it worked!
+1 on this - open everything you can on the camera. I went in a lake with my old KM (film camera) about 30 years ago - put the camera and lens in the oven for about 3 hours and am still using the camera and lens to this day!! Little different with todays electronics, but just need to get it completely dried out!!

08-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got my *istD soaked when my kayak got swamped

It went into a funny mode of continual shooting

I pulled the batteries immediately and leftmost sit with all covers open and lens off in the sun for about 4 hours

That was 6 years ago and it has worked fine ever since

Let the camera dry out it probably come back
08-05-2010, 03:57 AM   #24

Original Poster
Everyone thank you so much for the advice - I am going to go get some rice and try that... I can't bring myself to put the camera in the oven :-)

As for convincing the hubby anything less than $500 is "get and ask forgiveness later" while over $500 is look pitiful and say I NNNNNEEEEEEEDDDDDDD it.

The loss of the camera hasn't ruined the vacation - but I had to reallocate my daughters point and push - ugh!!! not nearly as much fun!
09-02-2010, 07:57 AM   #25

Original Poster
Holding the Memorial Ceremony...

Ok, folks....after 30 days AND Pentax Europe offering to send me a candle to light in memory of my K2000, I have given up and faced the fact that is really dead...although on a happier note - I picked up a used K7 off the Marketplace
09-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd say this qualifies as a "mixed blessing"!!
09-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Kitty litter sounds dangerous from a dust perspective. Moist sensor screen, kitty litter dust, sounds like you could make more serious sensor problems than just moisture alone.
09-02-2010, 08:15 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Send the horse to France, I hear they eat them.
Not only in france, but also overhere.
Nothing better than smoked horse beef

Let you're cam dry for at least several days, preferably in the sun so it will warm up.

After those day's there is nothing more to do than pray
09-02-2010, 08:29 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gladyscrum Quote
Ok, folks....after 30 days AND Pentax Europe offering to send me a candle to light in memory of my K2000, I have given up and faced the fact that is really dead...although on a happier note - I picked up a used K7 off the Marketplace
Glad to know you got a replacement, now this one (K-7) is weather sealed.

Good luck.
09-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #30
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by gladyscrum Quote
Welcome to the club!!