Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2010, 12:36 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Thrown in a river with my Pentax K2000D

Good Morning all!

I am writing you from sunny southern Italy where I am finishing up 3 weeks of leave.

Yesterday, I took my three daughters horseback riding...I was given the AntiChrist to ride...

He decided to throw me - in the middle of a river....with my 8 month old Pentax K2000D around my neck...

It was completely submerged for about 2 seconds (I went in face first but didn't land on it and immediately held it out of the water.)

When we got back, I took the lens off, pulled the batteries and card out and left it alone to dry out. The LCD screen had water around the edges but not over the entire thing.

I get up this morning and the LCD seems completely dry so I get out some new batteries and turn it on. Nothing happens....

Is it now a paperweight?

(BTW - on the way back, the freakin horse decided to take a sand bath with me (but not the camera) on it!!!!) NOT A GOOD DAY...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated?

08-04-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Remove the batteries and let it open (lens off, all doors open) and dry for a few more days.
Even small areas of moisture between electronic circuits can stop it from functioning.

I had the same sort of problem with my phone, it took 2 days and then it suddenly worked again!

If everything fails, this may be the time to upgrade to a K-x!
In Europe, people often have travel insurance, if you have it may cover some or all of the damage.

Hopefully this does not distroy all of your vacation....

Cheers, Bert
08-04-2010, 12:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Cameras and electronic in general are real fighters. My friends 5 year old camcorder spent a night in the rain, a week of drying and it works like new. My old Mini DV camcorder took one too many spills in the powder one day on the slopes and stopped working function by function until it became a paperweight. I opened all the compartments, let it dry for a day and then it worked perfectly after that all the way up until I sold it on ebay

Just give it some time, leave it in a dry ventilated area and make sure no electronics are fired, pick it up once every week or so and pray. I bet there's some life left it still, you'll have to clean the sensor afterwards though

however to bar anymore incidents, I got a K7 and sold my Kx purely for the weather resistance
08-04-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although a bit late in this case, another thing for any electronic equipment is if it gets submerged, get the batteries out of as soon a possible (immediately if at all possible). Damage is far more likely to occur to electronic components if they are powered up (water conducts electricity to flow where its not meant to!).

Hope it all comes right for you.

08-04-2010, 01:42 AM   #5
Banned

No big hopes for your camera, but drying it for a few more days maybe would be helpfull. Also take the lens of, the more open the camera is the more moist could get out.

I even don't think a K-7 would survive that trip.
08-04-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
Forum Member

I'm not entirely sure but I would tell you to prepare for substantial investment in a new camera as the K2000 is not a weather sealed camera. With that said, water might have entered and spoil your camera electronic components. Weather sealed camera might have a higher survival rate in such situation but it will still subjected to period of exposure to water in the end.

However, don't give up hope. Spend a few days drying the camera and see how it goes.
08-04-2010, 04:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I even don't think a K-7 would survive that trip.
There have been many reports on Pentax weather sealed camera's submerged that survived the incident.
For instance: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/59120-good-news-bad-news.html

- Bert

08-04-2010, 04:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Send the horse to France, I hear they eat them.
08-04-2010, 05:15 AM   #9

Original Poster
Horse

SERIOUSLY DUDE!

I heard a horse outside my hotel this morning....I think he is stalking me...researching a new camera now :-(

KX or K7? Trying to decide if I can convince my hubby to pony up for the K7....
08-04-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
Veteran Member

An old trick I always hear success with is using a container, put some rice in it, doesn't need to be a ton of it, and place your electronics on it and seal it. This can really speed up the recovery time.

Spilled an awful lot of water on my MacBook once, got out a tub put about a half inch of rice in the bottom sealed it up for a day and a half and it was good to go.
08-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #11
Inactive Account

My nephew dropped my mother's cell phone in the dog's water dish once. A friend of mine, his 4 year old son tried to flush his down the toilet. Both phones recovered with dry out time. Give it a couple days and it may recover itself (I do agree with trying some sort of drying agent in a closed container). Good luck.

By the way, it's usually Hubby who has to convince the wife. Never heard of it being the other way around .. Since it's not my money we're spending here, my vote is for the K7 if you have to replace.

08-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I would have taken everything off/out of it and let it sits for at least a week before do anything. Since you tried to turn it on the next day, it's possible that it's paperweight now. It does not hurt to try again in a week or so. Sorry to hear about it though. Hope it didn't ruin the vacation.
08-04-2010, 12:18 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Maybe drying out the camera and purchasing a new battery. Wouldn't the submerged battery be shot for good? but the camera may be recoverable once it's dry and a new battery is put in?
08-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Rice or cat litter, in a dry container with your camera, for many days, is your best bet. Otherwise you should check your insurance.
08-04-2010, 12:57 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dry out time may be long

I got my K10D thoroughly wet with a non weather sealed lens on it. Same as your experience there was no activity at all with it. I left it open with the battery out and silicone gel packets in both the main cavity and the battery cavity. It finally came back good as ever except the sensor needed cleaning, but it took over 3 weeks! So don't give up hope yet. But be prepared to rachet up your patience index a goodly bit.

NaCl(I wouldn't give up on it until well after a month has rolled by)H2O