Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2010, 05:11 AM   #1
Inactive Account

AF speed of the K7 vs. the *istDS

I am new to posting on the forums, although I have been lurking for a bit. I have a *ist DS that I've had for about 5.5 years. I have not had any problem with it at all, and overall, I have really enjoyed it.

I am wondering how the AF speed compares on the K7 to the *istDS? Sometimes it seems to take a long time to focus, especially in low light. I am generally trying to catch a picture of fast moving or impatient children, and it is painful for all of us.

I don't know if possibly it has gotten slower over time (does it need cleaned?) or have I just gotten higher expectations?

I have been reading reviews and information, and I've read that the K7 is slower than a comparable Nikon? Is it noticeable? I guess I just want to really love my new camera, so I'm trying to do as much research as possible before I purchase it.

Thanks!!

08-04-2010, 05:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michele85 Quote
I have been reading reviews and information, and I've read that the K7 is slower than a comparable Nikon? Is it noticeable? I guess I just want to really love my new camera, so I'm trying to do as much research as possible before I purchase it.

Thanks!!
I came from 5 year old Panasonic FZ30, which i thought was fairly fast. But i am glad the K7 is a lot quicker and the recent 1.3 firmware made it substantially faster again. So the reviews won't cater for the recent improvement.

I believe it's considered the fastest Pentax yet, so you should be fine.
If you were getting paid for sports or wildlife, the Nikon's are hard to beat, but i believe the difference between first and last is quite negligible.

I'm sure others with experience in both will chime in..
08-04-2010, 05:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

With the addition of the "Focus Assist Lamp", the K7 will focus and lock faster in low light than its predecessors.

In the short time that I've owned my K7, I've found the focus and lock speed with Primes Lenses to be superb. Zooms, including the DA* (SDM) lenses maybe just a little faster the previous bodies.
08-04-2010, 05:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I cannot compare the *istDS and the K-7, I can compare my K10D (newer than the *istDS) and my K-7.
The K-7 is *so* much faster!
Also it brings AF lens user calibration.

You will not be disappointed.
Remember to upgrade the K-7 firmware though.

- Bert

08-04-2010, 06:41 AM   #5

I switched from *istDS that I had for more than 4 years about 5 month ago. Let me tell you: it's heaven and earth difference! The AF is much faster, but other features are some much nicer too - for example, the shutter feel is so amazing.
I was also debating whether to switch since my *istDs was totally fine (some hot pixels, but this was minor), but now I never look back.
08-04-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michele85 Quote
I am new to posting on the forums, although I have been lurking for a bit. I have a *ist DS that I've had for about 5.5 years. I have not had any problem with it at all, and overall, I have really enjoyed it.

I am wondering how the AF speed compares on the K7 to the *istDS? Sometimes it seems to take a long time to focus, especially in low light. I am generally trying to catch a picture of fast moving or impatient children, and it is painful for all of us.

I don't know if possibly it has gotten slower over time (does it need cleaned?) or have I just gotten higher expectations?

Thanks!!
I know that the istDS is a capable camera but the K7 is SO much more. My first was the K10d and I'll guarantee (no money involved here ) that the K7 is Much faster. Your DS may just be wearing out. A note however, there are still some situations where the K7 will hunt for focus (black on black in the dark) and that may be where the Nikon shines over the Pentax.

08-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I went from a *istDS to my K10D and noticed a big speed difference in focusing. My K7 is faster than my K10D. You will be amazed at the difference.

08-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

*Ist DS is so slow that it made me learn manual focusing. I was using AF only with blind shots (when not looking through view finder).
I now have K20D which is faster and from my handling of K7 I can say that it's noticeably faster than K20D let alone DS
08-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. I'm pleased to hear that I will be thrilled with the performance of my new K7! I was planning to order it this morning, and now I see that Amazon (which had the best price) has gone up $100! I guess I need to search around for a better price from a reputable seller. :-(
08-06-2010, 02:27 PM   #10

Note;
It's expected that Pentax do release something new at Photokina (september), this may influence the current prices.