Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K7 goes to B&W

My K7 seems to change to BW by itself. I have been shooting in JPEG ok Generally shoot Av priority. Wanted a bit slower shutter to lighten the pic. Used +/- button shot the pic and a few frames more. Checked the pic and found that the last few frames all shot in B&W. In the custom menu I reset from BW to Landscape all worked well. Tried to make this happen again but it wouldn't. This hs occured 3 times one time was paticular annoying as I needed the colour shot didn'tfin out until I got home. Has any one experienced this?

08-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #2
Inactive Account

The camera didn't shoot in black and white, it processed the JPG in black and white. If I'm not mistaken, you can actually change that before removing it from the card. So that shot you think you lost, you may be able to change it in the camera. That aside, shoot RAW+JPG and you won't lose anymore photos. Can't help you with Why it's happening though.

08-04-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, I had it happen a couple times when I first got my K20D. Never figured out why.

I fixed the problem as a side effect of shooting in RAW all the time. That way it doesn't matter what kind of conversion the camera does for the LCD: You still have the full RAW file to do what you will with.
08-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Any one else have any Idea? I really like my K7 it is all the camera I will ever need but I said that about my 1st*DS.
Was out shooting today in the rain changed settings but didn't go to BW. Oh well will have to watch the settings closer.

08-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

I can only think of you having accidentally pushed the button sequence that switches to B+W, or something in yoiur photo bag did it to you - if you left the camera on in the bag.
08-04-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I was fiddling around with digital filters once and didn't get it out of B&W properly and it did that.
08-05-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I recently succumbed to this... I swapped lenses in a hurry (my sons footy team had just won their 1st game) and afterwards when reviewing the pics, all the close ups (one after lens change) were all in B&W. Took me ages to works out how to change the camera back so I don't think I could have hit the required sequence of buttons to activate it randomly in the 2secs it took me to change the lens. I think something went haywire in that process (I didn't turn the camera off... I rarely do when changing lens).

08-06-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It baffels me I think I change lenses and the camera went to BW for no apparent reasononce in the past. Last time this happened I'm sure I didn't press any sequence of buttons. You have to press the arrow right button then punch it 5-7 times then press the OK button. I'm sure I would remember doing something like that. Especially since my photos 1st in colour then the next 2min later it goes to BW. Ill just be more carefull watching the menu.
08-06-2010, 06:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about this as the reason? You somehow set the B&W setting as a user preset and maybe as you change the mode on the camera dial you are going past the user setting which resets it. Probably way off base but just a thought.