Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-x USB cable, is it proprietary?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have a cable that looks virtually identical from my 6+ year old Samsung Digimax V3 P&S (it has manual controls, a viewfinder and an LCD, so not totally P&S). I could swear I did get the Samsung cable to work with the K-x this afternoon, but right now, it does not. No connectivity recognized on 3 different computers. The Samsung cable's small end has more wires than the Pentax supplied cable's. By the same token, the Pentax K-x's cable isn't working with my Samsung P&S. Anyway, I'd like to have two USB cables that work with the K-x because I have two PC's that don't have card readers. Where can I get an inexpensive cable (and what exactly am I looking for) that will work with the K-x?

08-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Muse Quote
I have a cable that looks virtually identical from my 6+ year old Samsung Digimax V3 P&S (it has manual controls, a viewfinder and an LCD, so not totally P&S). I could swear I did get the Samsung cable to work with the K-x this afternoon, but right now, it does not. No connectivity recognized on 3 different computers. The Samsung cable's small end has more wires than the Pentax supplied cable's. By the same token, the Pentax K-x's cable isn't working with my Samsung P&S. Anyway, I'd like to have two USB cables that work with the K-x because I have two PC's that don't have card readers. Where can I get an inexpensive cable (and what exactly am I looking for) that will work with the K-x?
I cannot imagine that Pentax would have gone completely proprietary on the USB cable. That is, if it works for One Pentax DSLR, it should work for All of them.

I have 4 of these, one for each computer and two to carry in the bags for 'other' computers.

!USB Cable/Lead For Olympus FE-240 FE-250 FE-280 FE-290 - eBay (item 280544573492 end time Aug-07-10 20:10:32 PDT)

More

pentax usb items - Get great deals on Camera Accessories, Digital Cameras items on eBay.com!

08-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The short answer: No.

I can use the same one that came with my Lumix LX3, and vice versa.

Jason
08-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
nope, I even use my usb cable that I use on my external Hard disk drive