Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2007, 06:57 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Nirodha, the K10D and beyond...

One of Buddhist teachings is Nirodha... basically an admonsihment to stop suffering by not wanting something you know you can't have...or cant afford.....or shouldnt be thinking about because you have other responsibilities....

Such is the case (at least for me) and my K10D (I still have 2 bodies).

I cannot tell you how many times I have thought about selling them, placed them for sale, contemplated what the next new camera (from any manufacturer) is and thought about how I would purchase it.

The fact of the matter is, from the time in November 2006 when I got one of the first K10Ds off the boat, the camera has served me well. I have done numerous weddings, portrait shoots and family stuff with them....

So why....why consider other cameras....other purchases..... and all of that......??

Because we are in a world where appearances matter (go to a photo seminar for wedding photographers with your K10D and get jeered), marketing attacks us creating new desires and we are ourselves always looking for something better.

I bring this up here now as a catharsis, an attempt to end this mindless frustration and desire to get more, bigger, better, costlier........

The K10D is a fantastic camera. I have invested in numerous lenses, I will be purchasing the 16-50 and probably its two sister lenses for my wedding photo business.....and one day, when and if PENTAX announces another camera to replace or stand alongside the K10D, I might just purchase it too.....

But for now, I am abandoning the constant search for something better, ignoring the minor flaws I have found, tossing away the negative comments of pixel peepers who dont really have anything better to do than stir up trouble.

I shall focus on taking pictures with a really great camera, made by people who care about imagery.......and as long as I am happy, and my customers keep seeking me out, then all is well......so there!

Now, I feel better.

PS- If anyone asks me to recommend a new Digital SLR, I tell them the K10D, at least till September? October?

08-21-2007, 07:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I completely agree!!! There will ALWAYS be "bigger" "better" "faster" or "more" ....it is not the camera that takes the great photos... it's the photographer!
08-21-2007, 07:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Pentaxshooter--
Take from an old guy who has wasted lots and lots of money trying different systems. I would love to have all the old Pentax glass back that I sold or traded to try Nikon and then Canon systems. Marketing has a way of trying to convince every one that you need the latest and greatest. I'm back to using Pentax Camera and lenses again since December and unless Pentax goes out of business and quits making lenses I will continue to use them. Get your hands on the new DA* 50-135 and you will be in love again. Waiting for the new DA* 200 and 300mm lenses . Regards Kent
08-21-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
Inactive Account

lol, true... just keep in mind its a camera, they break, get stolen, become obsolete, get lost sometimes... they are for you to enjoy and take pictures, not to analyze... you can analyze if you like, but we tend to migrate towards shortcomings and negative aspects of what we scrutinize, thus making us upset with our findings because there is something else to analyze that doesn't have those shortcomings, however they will have shortcomings of there own... its not the camera, its what you can do with it. there are a lot of folks here still using the *ist, k110 and k100, getting amazing results. im sure it wont be long before pentax drops another camera in the consumers laps that is bigger better and faster than the current k10d, bumping the k10d from the spotlight... but people will still be taking amazing pictures with it, and isn't that what its all about, the end result... the picture? so the question is... are we getting the big picture?

08-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

This is a good thread, personally. I also went through that stage where I wanted to have the newest model. Those times, I spent endless hours just poring through review after review, news bit after news bit.

Lately, thanks to this forum, I've come to appreciate what equipment I have more than I used to, and focus instead on taking pictures.

Sure, I still glance over the new models (in my case, the 1Ds Mk. III), but that's only because I'm a techie, and still want to be updated news-wise of what're being pushed into the market. And yes, I still yearn for the day that I'd be able to own a * lens (FA or DA), even one of the Limiteds, but I won't go into full panic mode if ever I never get to own any (but I hope this isn't the case, haha).

All in all, photography should be more about taking pictures than pixel-peeping. And actually *using* the camera, instead of spouting off statistics one can't even claim for themselves.
08-23-2007, 09:22 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
It's difficult not to get sucked into the mindset of wanting the newest camera....

The new offerings from Canon and Nikon are enticing....

And the fact of the matter is, nearly all of these DSLRS from Canon, Nikon, Pentax etc... are capable of taking nice photographs.

The manufacturers really do have us hooked....I harken to the "old days" when you bought a top of the line Canon F1 and it lasted you for 15 years.....or a Pentax K1000 or PZ1 or anything for that matter.

These days, technology is so rapidly improving that the life cycle for the real techno-weenies is little more than a year and a half before we want the newest cameras.

Unfortunately for me, there WILL come a time in the very near future where, despite my desires, I will HAVE to sell one of my K10D bodies to get a faster camera, because I have had numerous instances where the K10D couldnt keep up with someone walking down the aisle.....

But for now (however long or short "now" is) I will use my K10D's to the fullest.

And let's not forget, the camera is barely a year old...and here we are talking about the "next" one.

Those of us (particularly those of us over 50 ) are really caught up in technology, partly because we know "how it was" without all the fancy stuff, so we're more inclined to want better, NOW.

Anyway, I'm starting to ramble on.....