Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2007, 01:55 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No - It works for both auto focus and manual focus lenses..

For Manual Lens

Put the camera in Tv, Av or M mode / choose AF-S / depress shutter, shutter should not release, do not take finger off of shutter release / manually focus lens until focus confirmation, when focus confirmation is reached, shutter will automatically release. (you need to keep the shutter release button depressed the entire time until the shutter releases)

For AutoFocus Lens

Put camera in Green mode / choose MF / depress shutter, shutter should not release / manually focus lens until focus confirmation, when focus confirmation is reached, shutter will automatically release.

-----

I'm at work now and don't have the camera in front of me but, it really does work and it works quite well. Also, you could google 'trap focus' with K10D for more results and talk on the feature. Also, it's in your user's manual.

08-22-2007, 02:12 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I’ve used focus trap with manual lenses before and it works just as you say, but it doesn’t work with AF lenses as far as I know. The shutter fires immediately when in MF or AF.C mode.
08-22-2007, 02:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

no trap focus with af lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
No - It works for both auto focus and manual focus lenses..

For AutoFocus Lens

Put camera in Green mode / choose MF / depress shutter, shutter should not release / manually focus lens until focus confirmation, when focus confirmation is reached, shutter will automatically release.

-----

l.
Tom,
I thought you might have found something new but after trying it I'm afraid you are mistaken. When you put the camera in MF the AF lens just fires away in or out of focus.

Regards,
Ken
08-22-2007, 06:38 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
another nubbie. . .

Pre-script:

I do have a question tho, when setting the focal length for manual lenses in the menu – for the Shake Reduction feature, do I input the actual focal length or the equivalent focal length? E.g. I have a 190mm lens. . .do I input 190mm or do I input 1.5 x 190mm = 285mm on account of the view cropping that the smaller sensor will induce?

I'm a short time lurker first time poster – So I’m going to be long. I've been digging the internet for the last few days on how to use the K10D with manual focus lenses – specifically m42 lenses. There seems to be lots of activity on this subject all over the place. After reading several posts on many forums, I have a good idea on how to do it. (My camera is still coming in the mail).

My understanding is thus: set camera on manual focus, set manual priority, change menu item to allow aperture control, focus, stop down lens, press green button for shutter speed, and then you're gold. I really hope it works just like that – tho the focus trap thing seems interesting.

I think Pentax really did a great service with their recent cameras. I can only speak for myself, but I've never cared for auto focus – auto anything. I end up with a bunch of photos that have a blade of grass in focus with a the main target completely out of focus. This is only exacerbated by the poor view finders that are prevalent on modern cameras. Watching the camera search for the focus flat out drives me nuts.

I was sold on the K10D after I found out it could easily accommodate m42 lenses. I have an f/1.8 50mm Yashica and a 90-190mm Z Yashica, and can’t wait to try them out.

The only “real” camera I’ve ever taken pictures with was the Yashica J-5. Very simple: set film speed, look at built-in light meter, focus, set aperture, and set the shutter.

All of my friends have film SLRs – typically Canon Rebels and a Minolta in the mix too. I’ve never been impressed with the pictures (quality wise), and if they let me use it – I got all confused with the camera doing things that I didn’t want it to do. Had a few people chew me out when I touched the focus ring. . . .”it doesn’t work that way man!” “cool, sorry.”

Anyway, this is a really nice forum, and I’m happy to say hello – while appreciating the good information I’ve found here.

08-22-2007, 10:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

For the shake reduction settings 190mm=190mm(or whatever is closest). No adjustments for cropping factor are necessary. Welcome to the forum.
08-23-2007, 12:55 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Tom,
I thought you might have found something new but after trying it I'm afraid you are mistaken. When you put the camera in MF the AF lens just fires away in or out of focus.

Regards,
Ken
No no.. I swear it works on AF lenses as well. Let me go home tonight and actually walk myself through it. I'll post back with my findings 8pm EST.
08-24-2007, 05:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Pre-script:

I do have a question tho, when setting the focal length for manual lenses in the menu – for the Shake Reduction feature, do I input the actual focal length or the equivalent focal length? E.g. I have a 190mm lens. . .do I input 190mm or do I input 1.5 x 190mm = 285mm on account of the view cropping that the smaller sensor will induce?
You input the actual focal length. Not all focal lengths are represented among the choices (such as 190). In such cases, just input the nearest thing. For example, with my Takumar 105/2.8 I have to input 100. Works just peachy, though.

QuoteQuote:
I'm a short time lurker first time poster – So I’m going to be long. I've been digging the internet for the last few days on how to use the K10D with manual focus lenses – specifically m42 lenses. There seems to be lots of activity on this subject all over the place. After reading several posts on many forums, I have a good idea on how to do it. (My camera is still coming in the mail).

My understanding is thus: set camera on manual focus, set manual priority, change menu item to allow aperture control, focus, stop down lens, press green button for shutter speed, and then you're gold. I really hope it works just like that – tho the focus trap thing seems interesting.
That is one way of doing it.

You can abbreviate the procedure by choosing aperture priority (Av) mode.

1. Focus
2. Set aperture
3. Shoot

Lots of M42 lens users here. Some casual, some hardcore. I use them pretty much exclusively on my K100D and scratch my head over posts discussing the ease or difficulty of attaching and removing M42 adapters from various makers. The rare times I shoot other than M42 I feel like I'm removing a part of the camera, the adapter stays on there so much.

QuoteQuote:
I think Pentax really did a great service with their recent cameras. I can only speak for myself, but I've never cared for auto focus – auto anything. I end up with a bunch of photos that have a blade of grass in focus with a the main target completely out of focus. This is only exacerbated by the poor view finders that are prevalent on modern cameras. Watching the camera search for the focus flat out drives me nuts.
I quite agree with you. Backwards compatibility was the prime selling point when I chose Pentax.

You'll no doubt end up wanting to swap out the standard focus screen for a split prism. I'll leave it for the K10D owners to help you out on that, since I believe they have an option to use an older Pentax screen that works very well and helps with some sort of exposure issue the K10D seems to have.

QuoteQuote:
I was sold on the K10D after I found out it could easily accommodate m42 lenses. I have an f/1.8 50mm Yashica and a 90-190mm Z Yashica, and can’t wait to try them out.
I started out with the kit lens and a Pentax FA J 75-300. I soon added a few M and A lenses. But once I tried the M42 Takumars, I was hooked. Widely available, very reasonably priced, and great quality. I'm keeping my few M and A models, but the modern AF zooms are hitting the auction block pretty soon.

QuoteQuote:
The only “real” camera I’ve ever taken pictures with was the Yashica J-5. Very simple: set film speed, look at built-in light meter, focus, set aperture, and set the shutter.

All of my friends have film SLRs – typically Canon Rebels and a Minolta in the mix too. I’ve never been impressed with the pictures (quality wise), and if they let me use it – I got all confused with the camera doing things that I didn’t want it to do. Had a few people chew me out when I touched the focus ring. . . .”it doesn’t work that way man!” “cool, sorry.”
You strike me as a fellow who would love to mess about with TLRs and 35mm rangefinders.

QuoteQuote:
Anyway, this is a really nice forum, and I’m happy to say hello – while appreciating the good information I’ve found here.
Happy to have you among us.

@Regken

Thanks for the kind words!
08-24-2007, 06:13 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard

I'll leave Mike Cash to answer your M42 questions. Unlike Mike I prefer the bayonet mount lenses, series A, & F because I use one FA lens (43mm LTD) and don't like the time it takes me to put the adapter on when switching lenses. I do have a few M42 lenses that I'd never give up. I bought the view magnifier for my K10D and it makes somewhat of a difference. I haven't bought a split screen yet for two reasons. My mechanical ability is less than a monkey's and am afraid I'd muck it up. The second reason is haven't figured out yet if the split screen would work with trap focus. Some purest might laugh at my technic but it seems to work for me. I shoot in manual mode but use AF-S when my focus point is in the middle of my frame. I hold the shutter button down and turn the focus ring until it fires. I'll switch to manual focus when my focus point is not in the middle, find focus then reframe and shoot.

There is one other minor reason I prefer the A and F series over the M and M42 lenses, the aperture size is recorded in the EXIF file.

Lots of luck with your new camera and hope to see some photos soon.

Regards,

Ken