Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2010, 04:00 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax ist*ds won't recognise batteries

Sorry if I have created a thread which has already covered this, if anyone else has experienced this problem.
I have had this camera for 5 years, which I've loved and has brought much pleasure.
I was in the middle of uploading photos from the camera to the pc late last year and the whole camera died. Any batteries put into the camera, even fully charged showed no power whatesoever..just a dead camera.
Have recently bought the K-X and am majorally disappointed there is no remote cable (only an infrared which how do you take photos from behind?) as I like to take bulb shots behind the camera with lightning and fireworks for example. I thought I'd try and put the lithium batteries I received with the k-x and see if these batteries would work in the ist*ds, which all I heard was a clicking noise and the battery power flashed at me like it had dead batteries.
I am wondering if anyone has had similar problems and if it is worth fixing as I love the corded cable release and personally didn't think a k-7 was worth the extra $700 just for a cable release port.
I'm not knocking the k-x completely just this cable release port is going to really piss me off.

08-05-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by astrogen Quote
Sorry if I have created a thread which has already covered this, if anyone else has experienced this problem.
I have had this camera for 5 years, which I've loved and has brought much pleasure.
I was in the middle of uploading photos from the camera to the pc late last year and the whole camera died. Any batteries put into the camera, even fully charged showed no power whatesoever..just a dead camera.
Have recently bought the K-X and am majorally disappointed there is no remote cable (only an infrared which how do you take photos from behind?) as I like to take bulb shots behind the camera with lightning and fireworks for example. I thought I'd try and put the lithium batteries I received with the k-x and see if these batteries would work in the ist*ds, which all I heard was a clicking noise and the battery power flashed at me like it had dead batteries.
I am wondering if anyone has had similar problems and if it is worth fixing as I love the corded cable release and personally didn't think a k-7 was worth the extra $700 just for a cable release port.
I'm not knocking the k-x completely just this cable release port is going to really piss me off.
A year after I had my *istDS, I went through something similar. I was unimpressed. I bought new (eneloop) batteries and they've lasted the past three years without issue. Not sure how helpful that is for you since your new batteries didn't work.

BTW, thanks for the reminder that the *istDS supports a remote. Might go see if they're still taking up shelf space at Yodobashi some day soon.
08-05-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Haven't had a DS for some time, but do remember having battery "issues". Sometimes, for whatever reason, the DS would not recognize batteries - even brand new Duracells. Bought Eneloops - problem solved - never had another battery related issue.
08-06-2010, 01:23 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for your replies but I'm a bit iffy though regarding the batteries as it died while using brand new nimh's and I tried brand new lithiums in it last week.
I'm thinking it could be a power issue and am basically wondering if it's worth fixing as I love the cable release port

11-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #5

Did you find a solution?

Appears I have the same problem with my istDs. As in your case, I was downloading pictures. Walked away, when I returned and removed the USB cable my camera wouldn't power up. I've tried two sets of new Energizer Lithiums with no luck.

Have you had any success finding a solution? Did you try eneloops?