Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-7 firmware 1.10 problem.

so I just upgraded (more like mess up) to the new firmware version. initially I thought Pentax made a homerun with the new firmware. but to my horror, I found out that all of my AF lenses are now suddenly back-focusing and front-focusing all of a sudden. I checked my focusing screen as it maybe lose. I havent tried switching back to using a stock screen to see any difference or remove or add some shims to the focus screen, but would do that later tonight.

personally, I'm very disappointed with what the firmware had caused. I might revert back to 1.03.

08-05-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Did you do the ff/bf adjustments on your lenses before the upgrade? I wonder if it wiped them out.
08-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Seriously doubt the FW affected ff/bf...
08-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't say I've noticed a similar phenomenon.

FA31

FA*200

08-05-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
so I just upgraded (more like mess up) to the new firmware version. initially I thought Pentax made a homerun with the new firmware. but to my horror, I found out that all of my AF lenses are now suddenly back-focusing and front-focusing all of a sudden. I checked my focusing screen as it maybe lose. I havent tried switching back to using a stock screen to see any difference or remove or add some shims to the focus screen, but would do that later tonight.

personally, I'm very disappointed with what the firmware had caused. I might revert back to 1.03.
The focus screen plays no role for autofocus accuracy. To gauge the accuracy you should check the captured image file rather than the image on the focusing screen. No need to change the screen IMHO.
08-05-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jboyde Quote
Did you do the ff/bf adjustments on your lenses before the upgrade? I wonder if it wiped them out.
No adjustments were made as the lenses were perfectly focused.
08-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The focus screen plays no role for autofocus accuracy. To gauge the accuracy you should check the captured image file rather than the image on the focusing screen. No need to change the screen IMHO.
I did. the images captured were way worse than the ones on the viewfinder. the focus confirmation beep eventhough that the image in the viewfinder was not. LV was of no help either. and when I captured the images, they were way off.

08-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #8

Have you had your eyes checked? Sorry, I just couldn't resist

I installed the firmware update 1.10 to my K-7 and find no problem. I hope you find your answer.

Peter
08-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doanh Quote

I installed the firmware update 1.10 to my K-7 and find no problem. I hope you find your answer.

Peter
I have my eyes checked on a regular basis (2-3x a year). and I have owned my K-7 for about a year now and have regularly updated the firmware from 1.0, 1.01, 1.02, 1.03 and recently up to 1.10. I have taken a lot of photos during that period which are dead-on and never had a single problem not until recently. actually I though my vision was fooling me since I hear a focus confirm eventhough the image was clearly offline on my focus screen. not until I saw the captured images are really not focused. this clears off any issue with my focus screen and my eyes, and which left that the only thing that is messed up is the camera's focusing itself.
08-05-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Doanh Quote

Peter
Me too, my K-7 is right on.
08-05-2010, 07:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

You may want to give your lens contacts a quick wipe with a cloth, you may have something hindering the lens' ability to "talk" to the camera.

I updated to firmware 1.10, and I haven't noticed any issues with my K7's focusing ability.
08-05-2010, 07:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'd suggest you redownload the firmware then try a reinstall with the new download. I've heard of one instance where a D wouldn't AF nor fire in MF mode, and a new installation of the latest firmware cured the problem.

Scott
08-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just downgraded back to 1.03 and it acted back to normal. tried reinstalling the 1.10 again and it seems to be focusing right so far. I hope that it continues this way and not the way it acted when I first installed the new firmware. I can only speculate that the firmware might have created a conflict the first time I installed it. mind you that firmwares are not perfect and are still succeptible to bugs. so let's not dismiss anything that this hasn't occured.
08-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Sounds like if there was an error in the original load, you're lucky you didn't brick the camera.. I couldn't imagine why only one (seemingly) person was having a problem like this.

08-05-2010, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Sounds like if there was an error in the original load, you're lucky you didn't brick the camera.. I couldn't imagine why only one (seemingly) person was having a problem like this.

tough luck maybe. although there had been people that had brick the camera because of improper firmware installation. although I wouldn't say I did something wrong since I had been doing this since version 1.0.

I'm just glad that it's working now as I hope it would be. otherwise, I would be pissed off about it.