Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 06:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

It doesn't say how to use it though?
Can anyone with these types of DSLRs and powerzoom lens confirm this?

08-06-2010, 08:28 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I remember Falconeye mentioning that power-zoom worked fine on his K-7, and was actually quite useful for video shooting.

Oh, and p229 of the K200D manual (Eng) say 'this camera is not equipped with a power-zoom function'.
08-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
In Order

K10d manual
K20d manual
K7 manual

The SDM contacts are used for the power, just as they are for the SDM motors if I'm not mistaken.

Not available on the Kx. I'll let the original poster look it up in the K200d manual (Zoom lens in the Index).

Ah! I goofed.

I will point out, however, that other than using the motor to zoom the lens, none of the other power zoom functions such as the following are available:
- Two spot zooming. Set the zoom to the goal crease with the second setting at the centre line and press the button on the lens to switch between the two.
- Zooming automatically during 1/2 the exposure to give those lines that lead to the subject.
- Keeping subject size constant by automatically zooming based on the distance from the camera.

In my defence, I must state that I only own one power zoom lens, and as with many of them, the zoom controls on the lens died a premature death, so I could not test first.

Mea culpa.
08-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never owned a PZ lens so I couldn't really say for sure either. You're one up on me with at least Some experience.. As earlier said, I had Read that people were using them. I sure would like to put my hands on that FA 80-200 f2.8 and try it out on my MZ-S. I wasn't aware of all the functions they actually do. Mid exposure zoom sounds neat to play with. Done it manually with my Tamron 70-300 (one of the first things I did when I got my first K10d)..

The OP seems to have left the building so best of luck to him. The K200d / PZ question has been answered.

08-07-2010, 02:18 PM   #20

Original Poster
Actually thanks for all the replies, just trying to take it all in and see how much of my old stuff will work, and what won't. I made the mistake of leaving batteries in my old flash and it look it killed it. I cleaned off the powder, but may have to take it apart to see if anything is keeping the current from the batteries from reaching the flash.

I got the manual apprature lenses to work. The power zoom I am a bit confused, the manual says it is not supported. Not sure if that means it would still at least zoom in and out.

It is also not working on the Zx-5n, I kind of remember it at least zooming in and out. The batteries are low on that body so may I have to buy some to make sure the lens is working OK. It does not power zoom with the k200d or the zx-5n.

Thanks again for all the help, I have been playing catch up now for a few nights, it is nice to see that some of my lenses haven't lost all there value like my two mint super programs and motor drives did :-(
08-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #21

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies, just trying to catch up and read the manual. The manual isn't all that clear on the power zoom, just says the power zoom isn't supported.

The battery indicator on my zx-5n is reading low, the old camera body does not power zoom. I think I remembered it did, not the functions, just went wide and close by turning the ring. It doesn't on the K200d, hopefully the lens isn't broken, it was really expensive and was/is my crown jewel.

I went to try the flash out, but was an idiot and left the batteries in it. Everything was caked up, I got the batteries out and cleaned the powder out by the flash isn't working now. I may have to open it up and see if there is anything else I need to clean. It was a pretty good flash another piece of dead pentax gear. To be added to the two mint super programs and motor drive "A"'s that seem to be obsolete. The super programs were awesome as small hiking cameras!

Did I mention how much fun it is too play with my lenses and not having to deal with film, I love this DSLR stuff, should have done it a long time ago :-)

Thanks again for all the replies, I'm sure I willhave a question or two as I go through the manual.