Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #1

Pentax 200D second thoughts...

I have been putting off going to a DSLR for some time, I had some decent older lenses, a super program, and a pz-5n

FA80-200f2.8,F300mmF4,a24mmf2.8,a50mmf1.4,m400mmf5.6,f20-35mm,etc...

I got the 200d because it seemed like a good camera bsed on the reviews. First bump in the road, the power zoom doesn't work. Did I miss a setting?

Then I put on the trusty 40mm-m pancake lens, I get another error message. I figured that one out, manual mode should be fine.

Just curious if I made the right decision with the 200d, should I have picked up the next higher up model?

What features did I miss out out on by buying the mid level 200d?

Don't even want to have to figure out if my old flash is going to work, my head used to hurt reading the TTL flash stuff :-)

Any hints on helping an old super program guy figure out his new DSLR would be appreciated. :-)

08-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Someone can correct me but the power zoom doesn't work on the digital cameras. I used to have an FA-J lens that had power zoom when I used the ME but it didn't do it on my 200D or K20D. Its a different mechanism I think.
Second, when you put the M lens on, are you getting F-- on the top LCD? That means you need to set the camera to use the aperture ring. In the Custom settings you'll find a setting to "permit aperture ring" and set it to "permitted".

Hope it helps.
08-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For manual lenses read this thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html

The only Pentax DSLRs that supported power zoom were the K10D and K20D. AFAIK they only supported the power zoom mode, not the other modes.

Pentax Lens Power Zoom
08-05-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I'm wondering where you found a K200d, and how much you paid for it?

As for the current line up, the Kx seems to be the most capable camera for the money, at least if video is a concern at all (I can't really comment on the Kx vs. K10d/20d since I haven't had one).

08-05-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Pentax DSLRs after the *istDS only work with P-TTL, older TTL flashes can work in manual mode if the discharge voltage isn't too high.

The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/104364-no...questions.html

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

Pentax DSLRs are good to 20v

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/91846-k-x-af280t-how-use.html

Hin's Tech Corner: Pentax AF280T Flash and Pentax K-x
08-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mapguy Quote
I have been putting off going to a DSLR for some time, I had some decent older lenses, a super program, and a pz-5n

FA80-200f2.8,F300mmF4,a24mmf2.8,a50mmf1.4,m400mmf5.6,f20-35mm,etc...
Let me correct one thing -- you don't have "some decent older lenses," you have some OUTSTANDING older lenses that are worth a heck of a lot, and well worth using on a modern Pentax body! Wow, enjoy them!
08-05-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums mapguy!
As jboyde already pointed out, the powerzoom feature has been abandoned for the current DSLRs.
With getting the F---, once you read the sticky on the beginners corner about using the manual lenses on DSLR, then you will find out that the A-lenses would work with automatic aperture with the fact that you can change the lens' aperture via the back wheel of the K200D if you are on Av mode.
08-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter

You should be fine, from a manual-lens standing, but I would worry a bit about the older flash voltage,. However, a basic swivel/bounce non-dedicated flash (the flash sensor determines the exposure) for occasional use can be had for under $40. If you plan on using it regularly, you might as well bite the bullet and get a AF360 or AF540 or similar. They turn up frequently in the marketplace.

Last edited by SpecialK; 08-06-2010 at 04:43 PM.
08-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

IINM (and take this with a grain of salt) if the flash works in mz5n, it should work on k200d as well.
08-05-2010, 10:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mapguy Quote

Just curious if I made the right decision with the 200d, should I have picked up the next higher up model?

What features did I miss out out on by buying the mid level 200d?

Any hints on helping an old super program guy figure out his new DSLR would be appreciated. :-)
I have a 200d and I LOVE IT. The AF, high ISO performance and FPS continuous shooting are not as good as the 20d, kx and k7 but it's still a killer camera. It also doesn't have the pc-sync. That can be gotten around with a hotshoe adapter.

My k200d is 2 years old and even if something at photokina absolutely compels me to buy an new body I'm still keeping the 200d as a second body. All of the pictures for my photo business have been taken with my k200d or my wife's Olympus e-620.

I was hired as a photographer for Pacific University's (in Oregon) alumni reunion. The camera paired with my DA*16-50mm worked like a charm and the alumni director was very pleased with the photos.

Don't fret. The k200d is a fine camera. Also if you look in the manual it'll tell you how to do the manual focus lens thing. And there is a firmware update for the camera available on the pentax site. Follow the directions exactly or you'll brick you camera.

For the flash...Metz AF 48. It let you do the wireless flash (which is built in the 200d) control, it's pretty handy. It's about US$240 on Amazon. It's also more powerful than the Pentax flashes. You get more bang for you buck with it than the pentax flashes.

Last edited by lurchlarson; 08-05-2010 at 10:35 PM. Reason: clarity
08-06-2010, 12:12 AM   #11
Pentaxian

K200D is a fine camera. It's a keeper. Study the manual for a while and browse these forums and you'll find an answer for every possible issue you could have with camera, lenses, accessories etc.

If you continue to have lens troubles, I'd be happy to help you out by taking some of those dusty, clunky old lenses off your hands. Just drop me a line.
08-06-2010, 04:50 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I've loved mine for nearly two years now. Very capable, solid camera, and nothing could touch it at the price point it was selling for (600 CAD) when I bought it.

I'm really hoping we see an updated K300D with a better high-ISO sensor and faster AF. Those are the only things I can really fault with it.
08-06-2010, 05:42 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jboyde Quote
Someone can correct me but the power zoom doesn't work on the digital cameras. I used to have an FA-J lens that had power zoom when I used the ME but it didn't do it on my 200D or K20D. Its a different mechanism I think.
Second, when you put the M lens on, are you getting F-- on the top LCD? That means you need to set the camera to use the aperture ring. In the Custom settings you'll find a setting to "permit aperture ring" and set it to "permitted".

Hope it helps.
I've read of people who do use Power Zoom. I thought that it could only be done with an SDM enabled camera but you say you have a K20d and it didn't work. Maybe it's only certain lenses that it will work on. I would Think that if it was going to work with any of them, the FA80-200 f2.8 would be one of them.

08-06-2010, 04:19 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I've read of people who do use Power Zoom. I thought that it could only be done with an SDM enabled camera but you say you have a K20d and it didn't work. Maybe it's only certain lenses that it will work on. I would Think that if it was going to work with any of them, the FA80-200 f2.8 would be one of them.

One can only power zoom on film cameras as far as I know. The power zoom contacts in the mount now drive the SDM, not power zoom.
08-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
One can only power zoom on film cameras as far as I know. The power zoom contacts in the mount now drive the SDM, not power zoom.
In Order

K10d manual
K20d manual
K7 manual

The SDM contacts are used for the power, just as they are for the SDM motors if I'm not mistaken.

Not available on the Kx. I'll let the original poster look it up in the K200d manual (Zoom lens in the Index).

Attached Images