Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 06:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I went from Nikon SLRs to Canon bridge P&S then to Pentax K100D super.
I found my true love and a lot of LBA which the Pentax system allows without the burn in my pocket..

08-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #17
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Not Canon but, I was heavy Nikon user, in the days when LX's were dust sealed and Nikons weren't, not ideal situation when your based in the Middle East.

Does this count as genuine reason to change.

Well that was 30+ years ago now, no regrets from me.
08-07-2010, 11:02 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Funny, I got my K7 from a guy who switched to a Nikon D700 a few months ago. The sensor in the K7 broke down so I asked the guy if he could help with the warranty and he agreed. In the process we discussed about cameras and he started to tell me about the after switch impressions. In his opinion Pentax had the best color rendition from the big three and he regretted that.

He is not very satisfied by the D700 because of lower resolution vs the 5D MII and the big prices of lenses (apparently 20-30% over the L glass on equivalent FL/f stops)

Finally we discussed about me lending the K7 and some primes when he would need them for some portrait work
08-07-2010, 11:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

My journey: Somewhat over 50 years ago, I started with Kodak. 15 snapshotting years later, my first serious camera was a German 1934 Kodak Retina I folder, the first 135 camera. The following years saw me owning Canon P&S's, an Olympus Pen-FT system, a Yashicamat 124G TLR, a Graflex view cam -- and I also used pro Nikon and Rollei gear. But never a Pentax.

Fast-forward a few years -- Olympus XA. Fast-forward some more, to 15 years ago -- now it's Sony and JVC camcorders. Then to 10 years ago, and the first of several digital Sony P&S's. Then Minolta and Olympus again. But never a Pentax.

So a couple years ago I inherited enough for a good dSLR. I researched and studied and plotted, crunched numbers, drew charts, analyzed data... and the hard numbers showed that Pentax had best bang-per-buck, best chance of long-term satisfaction. So here I am. My inclination was for Sony or Olympus, then maybe Nikon -- but Pentax prevailed. Selah!

08-08-2010, 01:49 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I switched from Nikon. my ordeal was I have to pay higher premium for premium grade lenses.

and look what the switch caused me? just look at my sig and that is more than enough reason to buy a Pentax. although I'm still needing a FF dslr though. Please Pentax, give us one.
08-08-2010, 04:58 AM   #21
Veteran Member

My first DSLR (which was also my first SLR) was the Canon Digital Rebel (300D) about 6 years ago. Used that for a couple years before switching to Pentax when I bought the K10D about 4 years ago.
08-08-2010, 06:30 AM   #22
Forum Member

Count me in.

Started with Nikon 5 years ago, went through about half-a-dozen DSLRs, and lots of lenses, I eventually settled on a simple, prime set-up, but I felt that it was still very bulky to carry around, so I jumped ship and moved to Micro Four Thirds (I got a Panasonic G1) - I actually like the M43rds system, but the lack of lens choices eventually made me look towards Pentax.

Up until 6 months ago, I actually had no idea (!) that Pentax made all these awesome compact primes. And the only reason I actually looked at Pentax was because someone posted a picture of a 70mm DA mounted on a Panasonic GF1 on DPR. My jaw literally dropped when I saw how small that lens was. I listed my G1 for sale the minute I learned that Pentax made all these awesome DA pancakes, LOL.
08-08-2010, 06:54 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
i came from canon. i think you'll find a LOT of people came from the 300d, as that was a bargain little cam in the day.