Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #1

what is the best way to transfer pictures to a computer?

Hi guys,

just want to ask what the best way is... to directly use a cardreader or connect the camera to the computer via USB?

I ask because usually I use the built-in cardreader of my computer directly, but I am afraid this is a bad way because inserting and ejecting the card too many times may harm the card and the camera's cardreader.

so what do you think? thanks!

08-05-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shang, it's easier and quicker to download directly from card to computer.
As long as you're careful when inserting and removing the card, there should be no appreciable damage done to the card.

There will, however, inevitably be damage done to the camera's USB port by virtue of repeated connecting and disconnecting the cable on the flimsy port. So I'm of the mind that the computer's SD card reader is the way to go. But if you feel it's just too tight and rough on the card, you can always get an SD card reader that usually allows the SD card to fit quite freely and transfer data effectively.
08-05-2010, 08:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I used to plug the USB cable into my camera and read from my camera, but found it easier to take the card out and use the card reader. Been doing this for years and have not had a problem.
08-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

One way you are wearing out the card slot, the other way you are risking bending a pin.
It's better to eject the card because that is the only way to clean any oxidization that might form between the camera and card.
The card reader is faster, and probably more reliable.
My vote goes to eject the card and use a reader.
And that's what I do.

08-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Another vote for card out the camera and I'm lucky enough to to have a card reader built into the laptop, just an SD slot no cables or USB involved, Adobe Bridge does the rest.
08-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

+1 for card directly in computer. This will also save the battery of the camera and is also faster.
08-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Via osmosis? Maybe?

08-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Oddly enough, I experimented two weeks ago with my new Asus desktop and its internal SDHC reader using a SanDisk Extreme III 8 GB card with a bunch of raw + JPEG.

Compared the internal reader to a small SanDisk Micromate reader going through a cheap Office Depot laptop USB hub.

Wrote the same set of about 3 GB of image files from the same card to the computer's HDD.

Read was faster with the SanDisk reader than with the internal reader. Entirely unexpected.

I've never used USB cable directly to computer from a camera. It's OK to damage or short a card or a card reader. No so good to damage the K-7. I'm not sure that it's a big risk but I sleep a bit better.
08-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also think the wheater sealing on the SD card is much better and much less easyer worn than that of the USB port.
08-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
using a card reader
08-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #11

card reader... don't see another better way...
08-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #12

Original Poster
thanks guys! will continue using my laptop cardreader
08-06-2010, 11:25 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Ah, moving images into a computer... it's evolved. Back in the late 80s / early-to-mid 90's, it meant using a hand scanner (because flatbed scanners were nonexistant-to-prohibitively-expensive). Then I advanced to webcams (plugged into RS-232 serial ports) and then a parallel-port frame-grabber -- feed video in, grab a frame every now and then, etc. Then a standalone video CD player-burner -- feed video in, burn a CD, load into computer, grab EVERY frame. Cowabunga!

Then came my first digicam, a 1mpx Sony DSC-P20 (which I still use) and a matching computer, a tiny Sony Vaio sub-notebook, both with MagicGate MemStick slots. Eureka! Fill the stick (128mb max), move it to computer, empty it, repeat endlessly. But newer cameras used newer bigger sticks -- and so I got my first USB cardreader. I've used such ever since.

Fast-forward to more cameras and devices, more card formats: MemStickPro, SmartMedia, SDxx, Xd. My current reader (SanDisk ImageMate 12-in-1) handles bookoo formats. BUT... when I travel with yet another tiny Vaio sub-notebook, that reader stays home. My Transcend 16mb SD card came with a tiny USB plug-in reader, and my Sony and Oly digicams just get USB cables plugged into them. The USB cable is pokey-slow, but it works.

So, the answer: card-readers rock. (Except the cheap one that reformatted cards after every transfer.) But USB cables are a good backup. Whatever it takes, eh? I suppose the next step is SD-WiFi. Maybe...
08-07-2010, 01:07 AM   #14

Photos: Albums
wireless transfer is going to be next
something faster than bluetooth..

probably wifi
08-07-2010, 01:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
There will, however, inevitably be damage done to the camera's USB port by virtue of repeated connecting and disconnecting the cable on the flimsy port.
Actually the SD card locking mechanism is more fragile than the USB port. Very frequent card changes can wear it out fast and unfortunately then the entire card reader has to be replaced (not just the locking mechanism) due to its construction. In the service center we've seen so many worn out SD card units from PDAs, cameras, etc...

With normal, average usage you probably replace the cam sooner than the locking mechanism or the USB port wearing out. It's an issue only with very frequent usage.