Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Weird problem with K10D

I purchased my k10 about 3 years ago, it has around 54 k actuations... No problem until a while ago when suddenly started to behave weird. I was out shooting some protests until it went blank, nothing on the lcd, no response at all. I turned'it off and back on, again no info displayed on the lcd, the weird thing is every time i was pushing a button/dial it was actuating. I took the acumulators out, switched them... nothing. It went like this for about half an hour until i decided ok, paperweight. When i got home an hour later it was working fine like nothing never happened two weeks later the same thing, than i observed that behaves like this after i charge the acumulators. Did anyone encontered this problem?

08-06-2010, 02:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

If I understand you well, the camera does take photo's, but the back LCD screen remains black only after freshly charged batteries?
Is the top LCD out as well?
After switching on the camera, do notice a short flashing of the SD card access light?

I've never seen or read anything like that on this forum or elsewhere.

What I can think of are:

- Some sort of a component problem; a capacitor or semiconductor malfunctions above a certain voltage.
- An LCD connection problem.
- Moisture in the camera.
- A battery problem.

I guess you could only do some more tests in case you have a battery problem.
Also, batteries are more likely to malfunction over time than electronic circuits.
Do you have a spare / other battery you can use to find out if the problem persists?

- Bert
08-06-2010, 02:31 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a loose connection or something inside the camera, but I haven't personally experienced this.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-06-2010, 07:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Possibly a bad connection... Does the LCD go out when the camera get warm? I am curious if it is tempertature related

08-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Usually that problem mean Main PCB decided to take holiday......Mostly repair of this problem is replace Main PCB.....sorry to say.
08-06-2010, 09:52 AM   #6

Original Poster
@ bymy141, No, it keeps on actuating every time i press something or turn a dial. menu, trash, tv, av, bulb... without recording anything on the card, one thing is certain, it;s not moisture related
@ Adam, If is a loose connection, why does it do this only when i charge the batteries?
@ Eric, No.
@ Senseicameratech, may be plausible.
08-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #7
Inactive Account

What if you just take the battery out and put it back in? Does it do it Then or ONLY when you recharge the battery? If it's the latter, I would try replacing the battery. I would try replacing it anyway but if it is remove/install related, that may indicate a loose connection somewhere in the battery contacts.

That of course is a blind stab in the dark.

08-06-2010, 03:25 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RipDaJacker Quote
@ bymy141, No, it keeps on actuating every time i press something or turn a dial. menu, trash, tv, av, bulb... without recording anything on the card, one thing is certain, it;s not moisture related
@ Adam, If is a loose connection, why does it do this only when i charge the batteries?
@ Eric, No.
@ Senseicameratech, may be plausible.
Main PCB also contain DC / DC converter, this mean power supply. DC / DC regurate many outbound voltage while input is simple unregurated battery input. If main pcb completely bad camera never turn on. Old time all individual circuit used, now time everything mostly made in one circuit. So why working when fresh charge battery use? Good mystery cannot respond, only still I'm thinking problem will continue until change main PCB.
08-06-2010, 10:38 PM   #9

Original Poster
Ok lads, thanks for your time. Well with photokina a few days away, must be a sign right?
08-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
You don't need this kind of excuse for a photokina purchase.

Mind you we don't know your circumstances maybe you do, good luck.