Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2010, 09:11 AM   #1

Any way to hack lenses to manual focus in AutoFocus mode (like the kit lens)?

Hi,
I know it sounds preposterous, but maybe somebody came up with a clever trick to be able to manual focus lenses in AutoFocus mode. You know, like on the kit lens, one can actually still turn the focusing ring with no problem?
On most other lenses, however, this is impossible, at least without damaging the AF motor or something like that.
And why won't they make all lenses like that?
Peter

08-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Not all lenses are like that since it cost money to build it that way The kit lens technology (quick shift) wasn't there when AF lenses were first made.

A trick is to press the button that releases the lock of the bayonet mount (the one you press when you want to change lenses), and the af gear will be disengaged. I'm not aware of some software fix to do this, because it's limited by hardware.

Canon and Sony has some lenses that quick shifts and can still turn even when the lens has hit infinity/minimum distance, becoming a little stiff but still safe to turn when it does so. It's even nicer that our DA lens' quickshift
08-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #3

Original Poster
Wow, Andi, thanks! This trick is great, almost like having a quick shift!
Made my day
08-06-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you have a K7 the AF button can be programmed to cancel AF, I use that even more than quick shift especially in AF-C

Last edited by future_retro; 08-06-2010 at 10:08 AM.
08-06-2010, 10:20 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
If you have a K7 the AF button can be programmed to cancel AF, I use that even more than quick shift especially in AF-C
That's true, but I actually use AF button for AutoFocus, I hate to use shutter release for that. Thanks, anyway
08-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skyredoubt Quote
That's true, but I actually use AF button for AutoFocus, I hate to use shutter release for that. Thanks, anyway
Then all you need to do is to disable autofocus on the shutter half press to get exactly what you need. Press AF to focus, release the AF button, focus manually. Even my K10 will work like that when I want it to. It may not seem really intuitive, but if you think about it, it makes sense.
08-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

OK, maybe I'm missing the point, but WHY??? When you can simply flip a switch and it's on manual????

I'm so confused....

08-06-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote
OK, maybe I'm missing the point, but WHY??? When you can simply flip a switch and it's on manual????

I'm so confused....
It is quicker to use the AF button and touch up than it is to keep switching the lens between one and the other. I am sporadically trying to train myself to work with the half-press AF disabled, and one of these years I will succeed. The logic part of me says it is the best way to shoot, but the muscle memory is still disagreeing vehemently. [Why won't this $%^ thing focus when I press the shutter release? oh, yeah, I turned it off ...]
08-07-2010, 10:36 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paleo Pete Quote

I'm so confused....
Another reason for doing this 'could' be to use Catch In Focus - camera has to be in AF.S mode, with a manual focus lens OR an AF lens switchable to MF mode.

If this is the case, you could probably trick the camera/lens combo by placing some electical tape over the lens contacts so the camera thinks it has an MF lens attached???? Haven't tried it, just seems logical - YMMV.