Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K10D and Time Lapse Photography

I have a K10D coming in the mail this week. I've already downloaded the manual and did a quick read thru it.

My Canon S1 IS that the K10D is going to replace has this neat feature called an "intervalmeter". Basically I set the camera to, say, take one photo every 15 mins. up to 100 shots.

I've made short movies of flowers opening with this feature, and like a couple of weeks ago, set the camera to take pictures every 1 min. for 30 sec. of the night sky in a attempt to catch a meteor.

I don't see anything equivalent to the "intervalmeter" on the K10D.

Would I have to buy some gadget to get this feature?

08-22-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
You can not do it with the camera alone, but I believe you can do time lapse using a laptop and the Remote Assistant software 3.0 (free download from Pentax)
08-22-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The camera itself has no means to do it. Though, a stop watch and a cable release or remote would work just as well (you could always depress the shutter yourself as well).. You'll get exactly the same results doing it yourself as you would with that intervalmeter program.
08-22-2007, 12:21 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
The camera itself has no means to do it. Though, a stop watch and a cable release or remote would work just as well (you could always depress the shutter yourself as well).. You'll get exactly the same results doing it yourself as you would with that intervalmeter program.
I'm assuming since he was talking about flowers growing and meteors in the sky at night, he wanted something he could set and walk away from. From what I read, it does appear that roscot is right about the Remote Assistant software being able to do this: Pentax Imaging - Software & Firmaware Updates

08-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Heh, well there's one way at least . . .

Create Digital Motion » pentax
08-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Digital SLR Astronomical Imaging
08-22-2007, 01:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Timelapse Photography using the Pclix LT100

08-22-2007, 04:26 PM   #8

Outside of the D200 and maybe a few others I don't believe there are many DSLR's that offer a intervalmeter. A cool feature though.
08-22-2007, 04:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
Thanks for that link. They don't list the K100D or K10D as supported cameras, but I'm not sure why not. The K10D can certainly be triggered by a remote and I think it accepts a cable release as well. I think that's what that port inside the left connections area of the camera is for.

When I moved from my old Canon PowerShot S3 IS to my first digital SLR (the K100D) I also missed having the intervalometer function. But in all honesty, I didn't really use it a lot with my S3 IS. It was just fun to have now and then. I don't miss it any more -- too busy with the many other things that the digital SLR can do.

Will
08-22-2007, 04:41 PM   #10
Forum Member

Canon makes a cable remote with intervalometer for the 20d/1d lines. The one here modified for the XT works with the K10D.

EOS201 - Canon TC-80N3 camera controller modified for digital Rebel (300D), Rebel XT (350D) and XTi (400D) - $175.00

It's a little pricey but has a number of useful functions. See the review at TC-80N3
08-22-2007, 05:47 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by konraDarnok Quote
The Pclix looks interesting, if I had not built my own timer I might have bought this. It costs about the same as the Canon timer, before cables.

konraDarnok - Do you have one? I can't find an online manual to download, so I wonder if there is separate control of the length of exposure and time between exposures For example I sometimes use 2 minute exposures with a few seconds between them, and 2 minute exposures with 4 minutes between them. Is Pclix flexible enough to do that?
08-22-2007, 07:41 PM   #12
Veteran Member

555 timer IC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

555 + 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo adapter + cannibalized 3.5mm headphone extension cable + a few transistors and capacitors = build your own intervalometer.

Or if you want to get really fancy, use a PIC or an AVR.
08-23-2007, 05:56 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Entropy Quote
555 timer IC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

555 + 2.5mm to 3.5mm stereo adapter + cannibalized 3.5mm headphone extension cable + a few transistors and capacitors = build your own intervalometer.

Or if you want to get really fancy, use a PIC or an AVR.
Hello, Having built many 555 projects when I was younger I'd say you over simplified a bit. When a 555 is wired as an oscillator it is difficult to have a wide range of frequency adjustment without switching a lot of capacitors. It is difficult to get long (minutes) periods that are stable. It is difficult to get separate on (exposure) and off (interval) times. It is difficult to select delay before starting intervals. All these features are found in the digital timers listed in this thread.

That said, the timer I use does get a fixed 1 second clock from 555s. To get selectable long intervals the oscillator is divided down by a CMOS counter. There are two cross coupled timers, one for on time and one for off. Still, with the many parts needed, I don't have the initial delay feature.

I suspect most people on this forum are not into designing and building electronic projects as I've done for 50 years.
08-23-2007, 06:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeoTaylor Quote
The Pclix looks interesting, if I had not built my own timer I might have bought this. It costs about the same as the Canon timer, before cables.

konraDarnok - Do you have one? I can't find an online manual to download, so I wonder if there is separate control of the length of exposure and time between exposures For example I sometimes use 2 minute exposures with a few seconds between them, and 2 minute exposures with 4 minutes between them. Is Pclix flexible enough to do that?

Nope. I spent some time online yesterday after I posted my question looking for alternatives and those are the ones I've found. I think the canon timer modification looks most promising -- the astronomy link has a detail on how to do it. Either way it doesn't look like there is a cheap timer out there -- beyond building your own, but I'm not much into electrical engineering.
08-23-2007, 06:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul_C Quote
Canon makes a cable remote with intervalometer for the 20d/1d lines. The one here modified for the XT works with the K10D.

EOS201 - Canon TC-80N3 camera controller modified for digital Rebel (300D), Rebel XT (350D) and XTi (400D) - $175.00

It's a little pricey but has a number of useful functions. See the review at TC-80N3

that "Digital SLR Astronomical Imaging" link above details that option. It looks like a good way of doing it.