Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2012, 08:23 AM   #1561
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by keyofnight Quote
It's just a matter of solidarity and curiousity, you know? It would be interesting to know if people are still out there doing work with their K1000—and if not, it'd be cool to know what they use.

Either way, your point is well taken—it's more likely for film users to have moved to medium format.
Not just film users -- all-manual "don't even need a battery for the light meter" type people. Those guys are using antique view cameras and such. There are some pros still shooting 35mm film, but still using pro-level (and likely autofocus, although some don't like it) equipment. The K1000 was never a camera for pro work, and Pentax has never been a pro brand. But they made so damn many of those things and it was built like a tank, I'm sure it is has been used for anything you can name at some point.

05-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #1562
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
and Pentax has never been a pro brand
Oh, really ? and what is the LX then ? What is the 645 serie ? And the 6x7 ?

don't think that because Pentax is not recognize as a "Pro brand" (what does it mean anyway ?), it never was consider as a EX brand, with EX product.
05-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #1563
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote

don't think that because Pentax is not recognize as a "Pro brand" (what does it mean anyway ?), it never was consider as a EX brand, with EX product.
I think the MF was always recognized as pro. The LX as well but it was late to the party so never developed the same system following as the Nikon and canon of the same time. Since AF came along I think Pentax has struggled with having a truly pro model (MZ-S was of course pretty much there PZ! a little less so - in the digital age I think it's only the 645D that really could be classed that way though all the top apsc bodies have been used by pro's of course, but compared to the extremes of a 1D or D4 nothing has come close

Reality is of course any camera can be a pro camera in the hands of a pro.
05-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #1564

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Reality is of course any camera can be a pro camera in the hands of a pro.
Right. I'm struggling with the notion of a "pro camera." Most people I know who shoot Canon or Nikon picked those brands because they're what "professionals" use. I don't understand what makes the camera more or less professional when I hear that some professionals (1) change the metering to spot metering, (2) drop into manual focus more often than the average person, (3) manually set aperture and shutter speed, (4) use raw mode, and (5) turn all of the other features off.

I know, with the way I shoot, I would feel at home with nearly any camera—and I'm sure I'm not alone. Hell, the Leica M9-P is all about getting back to basics, and if that isn't a "pro" camera, I don't know what is. Are "pro" cameras just cameras with a reputation? If so, then the lack of a reputation is hurting the Pentax brand, and that's upsetting. :/

05-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #1565
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
As I understand it, the LX was a pro-level camera that was misfire as far as actually attracting many pros to use it, and they have never tried all that hard to get pros on-board ever. The support network from Canon and Nikon for pro shooters is comprehensive, and although I hear Pentax actually has such a program now, it is basically non-existent in comparison.

The medium-format film bodies were probably used by greater percentage of pros, though -- as all medium-format shooters are at least "advanced amateurs" pretty much by definition, and I think Pentax had a decent chunk of that market.

QuoteQuote:
My definition of a "pro-brand" is one that a significant portion of pros use, OR that within a certain specialty that brand would be first choice even if the absolute numbers are small. AND that has "pro" support from the company. You could make an argument for the 645D filling a niche on point #2, but Pentax fails on the other two points. This has nothing to do with being an excellent brand (or not) or whether the products are great (or not), and I didn't say otherwise.

Anyway, what's to get upset about? Why are people so invested in these perceptions, especially since we talking about two decades ago? (With this K1000 discussion.) Who cares? I like Pentax, I shoot Pentax, and I could be classified as a semi-pro I guess (I sell my work, but in very low volume). But for certain kinds of pro-work, I would switch to Canon EVEN IF I THOUGHT THE BODIES AND LENSES WERE INFERIOR just because the other advantages make up for it. (Just like a lot of have used DOS and Windows for the last 20 years because we needed to use the software that runs on it even though you could make a good argument that Macs/Linux/whatever was "better".)

But for what I do, what other people think or have thought about the brand really doesn't make me glad or sad either way, and if Pentax goes out of business tomorrow I'll still go on shooting something -- the inconvenience will be minor.
05-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #1566
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveHolmes Quote
Round our way SPAM is Specially Produced Artificial Meat... Rationing sucked...
It was rumored that SpAm meant Spanish-Americans -- ground-up Latinos! Just remember: Soylent Green is People!

But I digress. I was in the vertical mining town of Jerome Arizona a few days ago and spied an Oriental fellow with a red Kr. My first sighting! With the 645D I spotted at Ft Bowie a few weeks before, that makes at least two Pentaxians in the entire state of Arizona (not counting Adam and Interested Observer).
05-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #1567
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Just remember: Soylent Green is People!
i love that scene
05-09-2012, 08:29 AM - 1 Like   #1568
Veteran Member

I'm at work right now (I work part time in the university art gallery) and one of the campus security guys just came in...

We're talking photography and he says "What do you shoot? Canon or Nikon?"

I kinda laugh... " I shoot Pentax actually"

His jaw dropped... "No way!?" (at which point I was waiting for the quizicles) "ME TOO!" he says "I've got a K-x!"

I think I'm going to have to loan him some glass now! LOL!

05-09-2012, 08:34 AM   #1569

I have to admit that there are a few (I did say few) things I like about the canon/Nikon actually only two, less audible noise and focus speed. But the k5 has done a fantastic job with those issues. I learned on a Pentax k1000 and used an ME, Why switch?
05-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #1570
Site Supporter

I have a co-worker who got the K-r shortly after she saw my K-x. I think I've created lens envy in her though, as she only has the kit lens so far.
05-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #1571
Site Supporter

Monday and Tuesday this week I went to Magee Marsh to shoot migratory birds, it's a huge photography event. Obviously, I did not see every camera there, but I saw hundreds of Canikons, one Pentax, one Sony (with no lens mounted, the guy was looking through binoculars), and no other brands of DSLRs, and no mirrorless cameras. There were several P&S superzooms, and people with P&S shooting video. Far more DSLRs than P&S. I thought that was interestiong because Sonys are available everywhere.

05-12-2012, 03:00 AM   #1572
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Monday and Tuesday this week I went to Magee Marsh to shoot migratory birds, it's a huge photography event.
Oh my, we photographers are a funny lot. Hard to imagine any birds would sit still for that. Well, at least you saw one other Pentaxian. (Pop-up flash with a 300?)
05-12-2012, 05:12 AM   #1573
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
Oh my, we photographers are a funny lot. Hard to imagine any birds would sit still for that. Well, at least you saw one other Pentaxian. (Pop-up flash with a 300?)
The birds don't want to go too far as they are resting up to cross the lake, but they hop around and sing quite a bit. In fairness to the man with the 300, he was shooting towards the sun and muttering about backlighting.
05-13-2012, 12:11 PM   #1574
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just came back from a photo workshop last week in Mass. Everybody eles in the whole group of 20 used either n or C. The instructor asked me about the camera because his daughter just bought one and he did not know very much about it. He pushes using all manual controls in the workshops. I let him use it a few time and he was impressed with the use with the little things like an automatic mirror up and shutting off the vibration control when using the remote. Outside of some of my old manual lens (from my Pentax 100 days) he was impressed.
05-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #1575
Pentaxian

Surprisingly at the end of April I was at a comic convention in Calgary Alberta and ran into numerous pentaxians.

Three k5s two with fa 77 mounted. Ten KR with one in red and another in white. Two Q's. And even a LX