Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
05-18-2012, 06:58 AM   #1606

I did point to her out that I actually lived in AUSTRALIA! Several weeks later, I encountered the mirror opposite, a woman who insisted on reducing the postage cost because "she knew we OZZYS didn't have much money and could only afford to drive small cars, but we were lovely, friendly folks!" Apparently she'd spent her honeymoon in the 1950's in Brisbane, Queensland, with her new husband who was stationed in Guam at the time, so her memories of Australia had been frozen in time!

05-18-2012, 07:06 AM   #1607
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cameltrader Quote
I did point to her out that I actually lived in AUSTRALIA! Several weeks later, I encountered the mirror opposite, a woman who insisted on reducing the postage cost because "she knew we OZZYS didn't have much money and could only afford to drive small cars, but we were lovely, friendly folks!" Apparently she'd spent her honeymoon in the 1950's in Brisbane, Queensland, with her new husband who was stationed in Guam at the time, so her memories of Australia had been frozen in time!
LMAO, though you do tend to remember places as they were when you visited. Anyone who visited Toronto in the 70's wouldn't recognize it now. Heck I went back to London for the first time since i lived there in 76 and it has changed pretty dramatically (and it is far more stable than a newer city) the squat i lived in and the pub i worked in are both gone (well the Squat technically exists it's just a million pound apartment now)
05-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #1608
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
But I digress. I was in the vertical mining town of Jerome Arizona a few days ago and spied an Oriental fellow with a red Kr. My first sighting! With the 645D I spotted at Ft Bowie a few weeks before, that makes at least two Pentaxians in the entire state of Arizona (not counting Adam and Interested Observer).
A friend of mine in Phoenix has a K10D, so that makes 6, including you! I gave him an old Tamrac bag worn on the chest so that he would use the K10D more often on his hikes.
05-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #1609
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
A friend of mine in Phoenix has a K10D, so that makes 6, including you!
I'm out of Arizona now so it's back down to 5. (My sisters there shoot Olympus.) I'll get up to Tahoe-Reno-Carson in a few days and see if any are visible.

05-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #1610
Veteran Member

Last summer I was on a ship in the Greenland Sea. One of the Filipino deckhands had a K100D. We worked opposite shifts, so I told him I would leave my K-mount Sigma 170-500mm lens in the wheelhouse when I was off shift so that he could use the lens if a polar bear was spotted. Eventually, was able to use the lens to shoot a polar bear that about 500 metres from the ship. It would have been a speck on a photo taken with his Sigma 17-50mm. I also showed him my Magic Lantern Guide to the K-7. He found it so useful that he ordered the guide for the K100D.

I ran into a K10D user much closer to home: the father of one of my son's school chums.He has a good selection of lenses.
05-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #1611

I've noticed that the old, salty dog photographers compliment me the most on my Pentax Gear. You know…the oldest guy at the camera shop will point a crooked finger and say: "Ah. Pentax MX… great camera. Hold on to it." They, of course, shoot Nikon. (;
05-18-2012, 06:19 PM - 1 Like   #1612

I've noticed that 4/4 Pentax users that I've talked to have been more interested in talking about Pentax gear than anything else. Understandable, as there's rarely anyone else to talk to about this stuff, but after the standard "wow another pentax shooter, nice to meet you", it gets to the gear talk really quickly and suggests that there's a lot of pent up excitement for being recognised. The same conversation plays over in my head "I don't want to hear about how amazing our K-5's are, or how our lenses have this 'special rendering' and fairy dust, or how awesome we are for buying pentax, or how it's us against the world because of this". All were male and over 40.
I don't want to talk about my gear, I already know and use it well!

edit: I mean no offense to anyone, but check yourself to see if this relates to you.

05-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #1613
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trysaeder Quote
I've noticed that 4/4 Pentax users that I've talked to have been more interested in talking about Pentax gear than anything else. Understandable, as there's rarely anyone else to talk to about this stuff, but after the standard "wow another pentax shooter, nice to meet you", it gets to the gear talk really quickly and suggests that there's a lot of pent up excitement for being recognised. The same conversation plays over in my head "I don't want to hear about how amazing our K-5's are, or how our lenses have this 'special rendering' and fairy dust, or how awesome we are for buying pentax, or how it's us against the world because of this". All were male and over 40.
I don't want to talk about my gear, I already know and use it well!

edit: I mean no offense to anyone, but check yourself to see if this relates to you.
If the other person was female and under 40, I bet you'd be as enthusiastic as ever...
05-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #1614

Today I just so happened to take a snapshot of a fellow Pentaxian today at my brother's graduation ceremony. I had no idea that he was using a Pentax camera (K5?) until I zoomed in. This is the second Pentaxian I've ran into so far.
05-18-2012, 11:39 PM   #1615

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I'm out of Arizona now so it's back down to 5. (My sisters there shoot Olympus.) I'll get up to Tahoe-Reno-Carson in a few days and see if any are visible.
Make it 6 for AZ, currently here in Scottsdale
05-19-2012, 01:37 AM   #1616

Photos: Albums
I've seen two other Pentaxes in the last couple of years. One was a bridge camera being used by relatives visiting from Australia. The other was a couple of summers ago in the local park I frequent, which I recognized by the fact he had on the 55-300 lens (too far to see the actual nameplate). Oh, and I guess my mom is Pentaxian (well, maybe not like us), having once taken a photography course for which she had to get the K1000 (handed down to me last year with a couple manual lenses).

About those humourous anecdotes about Americans... There's lots of well-informed open-minded Americans, which I guess we don't hear about so much. American ignorance/obliviousness would be quite funny all around if it were just a lark. Problem comes when disinformed (and this is being extremely generous) types are the ones vying for and winning political office, who use it as a platform to encourage similar views amongst the public, and set foreign policy accordingly. The world is far more interconnected than ever before and It ends up being a real problem for everyone.

Last edited by NotSteve; 05-19-2012 at 01:53 AM.
05-19-2012, 03:36 AM   #1617
Forum Member

I Live in Porto, Portugal. In 5 years i saw one pentax user ( k7 + 16-50*) and met another (k100d + fa28). I am the rare bird among canon and nikon in the art school and very proud. when this folks see me movies and pictures always ask what kind of camera am i using, and when i tell them they don´t even know what camera is this.
05-19-2012, 07:34 AM   #1618
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I attended university commencement exercises this week, at a high-ticket, elite institution.
Canon - hundreds, zoom lenses, mostly mothers, all anglo.
Nikon - few, mostly fathers whose watches cost more than my car, all anglo.
Pentax - ZERO.

20% of student body is Asian - mostly foreign (China). They almost universally were shooting video with tiny palm-sized dedicated videocams. Boy, are they aggressive about being in the best spot. Don't even THINK about trying to set up for a shot.
05-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #1619

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
If the other person was female and under 40, I bet you'd be as enthusiastic as ever...
Haha, I didn't mean it that way.

Coincidentally, I met two young, female olympus 4/3s users yesterday, which is ∞% more than the number of pentax users I saw.
05-20-2012, 05:49 AM   #1620
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
We went to a Greek Festival at the Orthodox church in Marietta, about 45 miles away from our Jonesboro Georgia home. Wall to wall people, wonderful live and recorded music (loud!), great food - everything needed for a good time. Granddaughters three year old Audrey and four and one half Sofia ("I'm a big girl now!") danced happily with their new friends. Wonderful photo opportunites for both my K10d and my ME-Super.

Very few cameras of any sort! Only a few P & S, and two Nikons. Of the hundreds of folk there, my eagle eyes spied no Canons, no Sonys, no Olympuses, no Leicas, and of course no other Pentaxes. I don't understand...not the absence of Pentaxes, but so few cameras!