Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
05-28-2012, 04:30 PM   #1636
Pentaxian

I see prime lenses only extremely rarely, and always from someone with a big gear bag of stuff. (And the occasional kid with a film camera and 50, obviously a student photographer.)

05-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #1637
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This weekend I went and shot a local band. Three other people were shooting there too.

Cameras were:
Nikon D7000
Canon 40D
Pentax Q :what:

Never seen another Q user out there. We chatted and shared our Q love for a bit. He also states her has a K5. But didn't bring it with
05-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #1638
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've seen a couple of Pentaxes lately, but they've been of a P&S variety. Not even sure why I noticed except perhaps the color (they were likely some Optio model).

I do find it annoying that I get snickered at by Canon shooters for having a Pentax (more than once). I find it even more annoying that it is always the Canon shooters. Nikon people are often respectful of the fact you have a dSLR. I've even had one Nikon shooter (back when I was shooting my K10d all the time) ask about my camera and the settings I was using for a certain scene. That's really how photography should be. The camera shouldn't matter. I only ever look in the case I might see a lens I think is interesting (in those rare past cases where I saw a Pentax out and about).
05-29-2012, 07:30 PM   #1639
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
I do find it annoying that I get snickered at by Canon shooters for having a Pentax (more than once). I find it even more annoying that it is always the Canon shooters. Nikon people are often respectful of the fact you have a dSLR. I've even had one Nikon shooter (back when I was shooting my K10d all the time) ask about my camera and the settings I was using for a certain scene. That's really how photography should be. The camera shouldn't matter. I only ever look in the case I might see a lens I think is interesting (in those rare past cases where I saw a Pentax out and about).
I guess it also depends on the region or the kind of person you're talking to, but on the average I agree with you that more Canon shooters (younger fanboys mostly) are more... aggressive and/or brand conscious. Like you I've been in situations and shoots wherein they'd actually mock my little K-x on the spot.

Stuff like, "Oh, that's a camera?" "Lens got no IS? Must be cheap...." "takes AAs? That's SO 90's" "Hey, funky thing. Is that a Chinese Nikon?". The last one really made me go lol when I heard it.
I think having big, bulky cameras are an encouraging thing for them, even if they sweat rivers carrying those things while I can fire my K-x with one hand with a flash handheld on the other.

05-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #1640
Veteran Member

When pros see my K20D they say "nice camera". When Canoneers see my K20D they ask if I can fix problems with their cameras. When Nikonians see my K20D they ask me to shoot them with their cameras. Nobody sneers at my K20D. Maybe it's my presence...
05-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #1641
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
When pros see my K20D they say "nice camera". When Canoneers see my K20D they ask if I can fix problems with their cameras. When Nikonians see my K20D they ask me to shoot them with their cameras. Nobody sneers at my K20D. Maybe it's my presence...
Put the 12-24 on the front and a grip on the bottom and it becomes "the official camera". So says the guide woman at the Ronald Reagan Library...
05-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #1642
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Nobody sneers at my K20D. Maybe it's my presence...
The Force is strong with you haha!

05-29-2012, 09:04 PM   #1643
Veteran Member

Maybe there is a bit of a generational issue with respect to my and Alizarine's experiences as opposed to RioRoco? I don't know... after reading Alizarine's comments it reminds me of the immature response you get from a lot of young people who measure quality by size and brand (cars, etc). Usually signifies a lack of confidence in some other department.

I only say this is that I do notice that my experiences with other brand photographers is generally positive when I am dealing with those that are older than I am (I'm 36). They are often just impressed that I'll take any care in my photography and assume I am a pro (I most definitely am not).

I was also going to suggest location, but I see Rio is from California as I am, and while most my negative experiences have been in California, I've had them elsewhere (all in the U.S.), and I doubt that would be a real factor.
05-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #1644
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Now there are three Pentaxians in my neighboring area, including me. Recently we joined a local photo club, participated on a group photohunt, and joined their Facebook group as well. Them canikons users welcomed us well, they even didn't have enough guts to make fun of our 'cheap' gears, unlike when a low budget canikons joined in. We Pentaxian probably isn't that rare, but we are indeed different in a sense. In group photohunt, me and my Pentaxian friends do shoot 'differently'; we operate our gears differently. When it comes to resulting images posted on the groups Facebook page, our images are different, color tones are different. The thing is that we think thus act differently -photographically speaking.

..it's either fear, or hatred for those with differences..

Last edited by minahasa; 05-30-2012 at 03:51 AM.
05-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #1645
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by minahasa Quote
..it's either fear, or hatred for those with differences..
Fear and awe! You're competition.
05-30-2012, 11:09 AM   #1646
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by emalvick Quote
Maybe there is a bit of a generational issue with respect to my and Alizarine's experiences as opposed to RioRoco? I don't know... after reading Alizarine's comments it reminds me of the immature response you get from a lot of young people who measure quality by size and brand (cars, etc). Usually signifies a lack of confidence in some other department.
A colleague of mine, in her mid-30's, six feet tall and a stunning brunette, commented once that Hummer drivers were compensating for a little, tiny ****. I was much amused, but let the topic drop.
05-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #1647
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
A colleague of mine, in her mid-30's, six feet tall and a stunning brunette, commented once that Hummer drivers were compensating for a little, tiny ****. I was much amused, but let the topic drop.
And you put your Hummer up for sale on AutoTrader that same day, amiright?
05-30-2012, 12:13 PM - 2 Likes   #1648
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Zounds! A hit! A palpable hit! But I prefer my Mazda3 5 door.
05-30-2012, 01:05 PM   #1649
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
I guess it also depends on the region or the kind of person you're talking to, but on the average I agree with you that more Canon shooters (younger fanboys mostly) are more... aggressive and/or brand conscious. Like you I've been in situations and shoots wherein they'd actually mock my little K-x on the spot.

Stuff like, "Oh, that's a camera?" "Lens got no IS? Must be cheap...." "takes AAs? That's SO 90's" "Hey, funky thing. Is that a Chinese Nikon?". The last one really made me go lol when I heard it.
I think having big, bulky cameras are an encouraging thing for them, even if they sweat rivers carrying those things while I can fire my K-x with one hand with a flash handheld on the other.
Frat boy posturing.
05-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #1650
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico:
Nobody sneers at my K20D. Maybe it's my presence...
The Force is strong with you haha!
Maybe it's because I'm 76in / 190cm tall and sometimes hang a machete on my belt.

Q: What do you call an 800-pound canary bird?
A: Sir!