Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
05-30-2012, 03:01 PM   #1651
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
yeah, i've been insulted by canikonians for using pentax and then i look at their wimpy Rebel T2i or old nikon with a kit lens...WTH? if you feel the need to display your brand prowess, please be sure you have something to prow about.

My usual response when someone asks me why i dont get a "real camera" is, "you're not the first uninformed/drunk(depending on the level of hostility) guy i've ever met."

05-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #1652
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Q: Where does a 600 pound gorilla sit?
A: Wherever he wants.

My favourite Canon fanboy episode was the two young guys who stood in our display booth last year. Their evolving business plan seemed to be to go every place I had gone and reshoot all my shots with their superior Canon equipment, because they would obviously be so much better shot with a Canon. I smiled and wished them every success in their new plan.
05-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #1653

I'm probably going to end up buying a lens (off of craigslist) tomorrow, which is surprising, as it's one of the lenses I've really been wanting, two, the fact that it's a Pentax mount lens (Tamron), and third, it's local.

(Fourth, honestly, I was planning on dumping Pentax, due to them raising their lens prices to crazy levels, but they're still competitive on the bodies, and the last couple lenses I've bought have been used Tamrons). But like some gangster movie, they always keep pulling me back in some way or another.

I've always gotten compliments on my K20D at baseball games though, I was at a game in Oakland last year, and a woman though I was a pro (with my old Tamron 60-300 Adaptall to boot). I lol'd. Most of the time, people say that it's a nice looking camera, most recently last month at a Grizzlies game.

And I will admit, the K20D with the battery grip attached does look like a beast of a camera.
05-31-2012, 04:27 AM   #1654

Well, I know that there aren't that many Pentax users as there are Canikon users. But what I do know is that the awesome K-x kicks butt pretty hard despite its age! Awesome ISO ranges, and a surprisingly useful White Balance menu!

05-31-2012, 06:20 AM   #1655
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
yeah, i've been insulted by canikonians for using pentax and then i look at their wimpy Rebel T2i or old nikon with a kit lens...WTH? if you feel the need to display your brand prowess, please be sure you have something to prow about.

My usual response when someone asks me why i dont get a "real camera" is, "you're not the first uninformed/drunk(depending on the level of hostility) guy i've ever met."
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My favourite Canon fanboy episode was the two young guys who stood in our display booth last year. Their evolving business plan seemed to be to go every place I had gone and reshoot all my shots with their superior Canon equipment, because they would obviously be so much better shot with a Canon. I smiled and wished them every success in their new plan.
Man... You guys have the misfortune of running into some seriously obnoxious living brain donors.

Awhile back, I joined a local photo club just for something to do. We recently had a pro (a Canon guy) come by & give a presentation on lighting. He asked what everyone was using. There were the usual Nikons & Canons represented, and when I told him Pentax, he grinned enthusiastically & said "Cool!". Later, we were chatting about lighting & wireless triggers & stuff & he was admiring my white K-x. Nice fella.

Actually, from what I can tell, I don't think anyone in the group is "hung up" on a brand. They just like what they like & don't worry about what anyone else is shooting with.

It's a good thing I haven't run into the morons that you guys have, or I'd quit the group. I don't dig hanging out with jerks.

QuoteOriginally posted by gibs Quote
But what I do know is that the awesome K-x kicks butt pretty hard despite its age! Awesome ISO ranges, and a surprisingly useful White Balance menu!
True, dat. I only plan on upgrading when mine dies, which I hope is a looooooooooong way off.

Last edited by GibbyTheMole; 05-31-2012 at 06:38 AM.
05-31-2012, 11:51 AM   #1656
Veteran Member

I've ran into some idiots. But at the end of the day the guys who are more into photography are more accepting.

Its usually the entry level users that are tool bags... however this last seminar I took the speaker was all Canon Canon Canon.
05-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #1657
Veteran Member

About being dissed: The point has been made previously that knowledgeable active toggers have better things to do than bad-mouth your gear. Thus those who dis you/us comprise a different class, the exclusion set: they ain't knowledgeable active toggers. Piss on'em. No, don't bother. Just ignore them and walk away. Haters gonna hate, eh?

05-31-2012, 06:45 PM   #1658
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Just ignore them and walk away. Haters gonna hate, eh?
Best solution, I agree. They won't stop yapping anyway, unless you probably... give them a burger or something to stuff their maw with.
This forums is the only place where I voice out my "Pentax love". Anywhere else (aside from our local Pentaxian Facebook group) it seems ...inappropriate?(especially in exhibitions and conventions here- where there are probably more Canon and Nikon posters & standees than the number of store booths present)
06-03-2012, 11:52 AM   #1659
Veteran Member

Saw a Pentax user the other day @ a festival called Copenhagen Distortion (block parties).

Strangely, my first (and the previous) another-Pentax-user encounter was @ same festival last year

Last edited by Zafar Iqbal; 06-03-2012 at 11:58 AM.
06-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #1660
NKK
Inactive Account

Funny - i saw the first Pentax "in the wild" in a long time, at that festival too (Last wednesday). I'm pretty sure it was a K100D.
Last one where a istD in Malmö a year and a half ago.
06-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #1661

Photos: Albums
In the last 12 months, I have seen only two other Pentax SLR user "in the wild". I do see more Pentax P&S and Mirrorless users.

I put this down to the fact that only one local store sells the Pentax SLR, and only one model.
06-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #1662
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Saw a Pentax user the other day @ a festival called Copenhagen Distortion (block parties).
Hmm is that a K-5 with a 16-50?
06-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #1663
Veteran Member

Probably a K-5, yeah. But the lens looks a lot more like Tamron 17-55 to me.
06-04-2012, 02:54 AM   #1664

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Probably a K-5, yeah. But the lens looks a lot more like Tamron 17-55 to me.
Definitely a Tamron. Looks like my 17-50 f2.8
06-04-2012, 04:15 AM   #1665
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vanyagor Quote
Definitely a Tamron. Looks like my 17-50 f2.8
Yes, I meant that one.