Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2012, 05:46 AM   #1666
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I Saw a Pentax user on saturday at the riverdale art walk in toronto, he was taking a picture of one of the artists. didn't get a close look to see which camera as my wife was dragging me along to look at a painting

06-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #1667
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
didn't get a close look to see which camera as my wife was dragging me along to look at a painting
Ahh... I know the situation... The best solution is to promise you'll catch up.

PS Offtopic, RIP Eduard Khil, king of teh internetz.
06-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #1668
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Ahh... I know the situation... The best solution is to promise you'll catch up.

I restrained her on purchasing the painting, reminding her we have at least 6 not hanging and a whack of photos not hanging (not to mention the huge number not printed even)

I was sussing out what was selling for the togs because i will likely get a booth next year (missed the deadline this year)
06-04-2012, 06:54 AM   #1669
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I was sussing out what was selling for the togs because i will likely get a booth next year
Scouting the battlefield?

06-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #1670
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Scouting the battlefield?
Yep a little, mostly it was to get a feel for what sells at this event. I can come up with various things, but don't want to print a bunch of stuff i won't recover cost on
mostly what i do is quite different from what i saw. Some of what sells is a style i can't stand (the epoxy coated large canvas prints - the epoxy will yellow over time sitting in light, so those are pretty much disposable works IMO.
06-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #1671

QuoteOriginally posted by vanyagor Quote
Definitely a Tamron. Looks like my 17-50 f2.8
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Yes, I meant that one.

pity about the lens hood
06-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #1672

QuoteOriginally posted by stevedh Quote
pity about the lens hood
why??

06-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #1673
Veteran Member

why??
it was reversed?
06-04-2012, 08:56 PM   #1674

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
it was reversed?
so what?
06-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #1675
Veteran Member

so what?
I was just guessing? lol
06-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #1676
Veteran Member

so what?
Totally pointless having it on backwards

If it's sunny always put it on the correct way for better contrast / prevent flaring & protect the front element

If it's not sunny alway put it on the correct way for better contrast & protect the front element

If you're not going to use it leave at home or in the bag. (or donate it to a poor Canon user because Canon doesnt give lens hoods on many lower & mid price lenses)

Dont leave it on backwards, it gets in the way of the zoom & focus rings and worst of all its makes you look like you dont know what you're doing.

Hey I've seen 3 other Pentax's in 2 days (a record for me).

At an indoor bowling alley, I saw was a (fairly big) guy wearing a black K-r w/ kit lens as a necklace over his tightly stretched white pullover. The bowling alley had UV disco lights operating so it the white pullover looked quite snazzy, and the gut underneath (not so much). He wasn't shooting, just herding noisy children around, at a birthday party. (it was a crowed zoo in there).

Last night out at the Sydney Vivid light festival a saw a guy with a k-5 and a K-01 w/ DA40XS. First K-01 I've ever seen.
My freind with her pink K-r was also there.
06-04-2012, 10:53 PM - 2 Likes   #1677
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
Totally pointless having it on backwards

If it's sunny always put it on the correct way for better contrast / prevent flaring & protect the front element

If it's not sunny alway put it on the correct way for better contrast & protect the front element

If you're not going to use it leave at home or in the bag. (or donate it to a poor Canon user because Canon doesnt give lens hoods on many lower & mid price lenses)

Dont leave it on backwards, it gets in the way of the zoom & focus rings and worst of all its makes you look like you dont know what you're doing.
Or that you aren't as narrow-minded as this point-of-view. I've noticed some people have a fetish about this.

Plenty of times the hood will make no discernible difference, and if I don't want to "protect the front element", what do you care? Those reversible hoods are a pain to put on (either way) and usually you have to have it reversed to put it in your bag or whatever. If if gets in the way of the focus ring and you are using AF, who cares? (Maybe you want to "protect the focus ring" from accidental grabs while AF is engaged.) And it never gets in the way of the zoom ring that I've seen. So if it is inconvenient to put it on front-ways and I don't really need it, but still want to carry it for when I do need it, isn't that what they invented the whole reverse thing for anyway? So I can carry it without it getting in my way when I'm not using it?
06-05-2012, 01:49 AM   #1678

QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
and worst of all its makes you look like you dont know what you're doing
vonBaloney already gave a good response to your post, I will only add on the short quote above:
if the most important for someone is ones looks, one must be on a really wrong path in photography IMHO.
06-05-2012, 05:00 AM   #1679
Veteran Member

OK maybe they only make them for me then, that kind of makes me feel special.

Living in Sydney I go out shooting in the bright sunlight a lot and I think it does make a difference in that instance. (Not today though its rainy and blowing a gale)
I know If its overcast or indoors of course theres no point although couple of weeks ago I was out walking and was in a light rain shower and while it makes no difference for flaring from sunlight then it probably helped keep the droplets off the glass.

The only zoom i've been using lately (18-135) the reversed hood really does get in the way so based my opinion on that.
Actually most of the lenses i use have have a hood built in in the forward postion anyway. The one that suffers worst for flaring I don't even have a hood for.

Copenhagen does get a lot of sunlight hours this time of year but looking at the photo she's wearing a jacket and also a weatherproof jacket on top of that, not sunglasses so it could have been raining or overcast so i suppose thats OK then it's perfect valid lifestyle choice not to use the hood then so don't worry she's in the clear, thats a relief.

Now I dont have to fly over there and swap it around for her.

. OH NOOOOO!!!!!!!! I've just seen she's got a UV filter on Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh !!!!!
06-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #1680

I wish I had more local Pentax buddies to borrow gear from.