Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
06-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #1711
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
They are in luck! Check out this link. It sounds like a real kick butt "entry level" camera that is coming out!

Pentax K-30 Officially Announced - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Regards,
I wouldn't define the K30 as entry myself, more a mid level. there are rumours of a K300 coming out, more closerly resembling the KR feature wise

otherwise the entry k mount is the K-01 for now

or the Kr if you can find one

06-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #1712
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
They are in luck! Check out this link. It sounds like a real kick butt "entry level" camera that is coming out!

Pentax K-30 Officially Announced - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Regards,
The K-30 is a nice camera, but I think entry level is more around the five or six hundred dollar mark, whereas the K-30 is in the $800 range.
06-18-2012, 08:04 AM   #1713
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Designosophy Quote
The K-30 is a nice camera, but I think entry level is more around the five or six hundred dollar mark, whereas the K-30 is in the $800 range.
there are still KR out there in that range, the K30 is not really a KR replacement but a step up, KR replacement is yet to come (rumours have it anywhere from this month to September)

there are several places with kr on amazon

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/176-6719268-6901611?url=search-alia...ords=pentax+kr
06-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #1714
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I only get the snob looks from Canikon who shoot with non-pro bodies, funnily enough (by that I mean APS-C bodies).
All FF Canikon shooters I know are familiar with the K5 and whenever I have Ltd primes on they don't look down at me at all.

06-18-2012, 11:24 AM   #1715
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FrancisK7 Quote
I only get the snob looks from Canikon who shoot with non-pro bodies, funnily enough (by that I mean APS-C bodies).
All FF Canikon shooters I know are familiar with the K5 and whenever I have Ltd primes on they don't look down at me at all.
Me too. I've had conversations with well known pros who are impressed enough with the K5. It is more often the guys toting around a plastic Rebel or Nikon D5100 who pull the snob act.
06-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #1716
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's true with anything that includes social status. Its the wannabe people putting on an act and trying to claw their way to the perceived top of the heap that always try to push everyone down below them in the attempt.

I totally stomp them with my brown K1000 SE complete with vintage hipster camera strap.
06-18-2012, 01:34 PM   #1717
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I spotted a K-01 in the wild today -- a black and white one -- at the San Ramon Art & Wind Festival in San Ramon, California. It was the first one I have seen in person, and it looked nice! Quite compact, too.
Another K-01 sighting -- a yellow one at the plaza outside the San Francisco Ferry Building yesterday.

The two K-01's I have seen in the last three weeks outnumber all other Pentax ILC sightings, two to zero.

Statistical aberration or indication of commercial success? Can't say -- we should probably start a tag-and-release program of some kind.

06-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #1718
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Can't say -- we should probably start a tag-and-release program of some kind.
Free O-GPS's for everyone?
06-20-2012, 08:29 PM   #1719

Oh! I saw a man with a Pentax K-r today. I actually stopped him to say hi. He is the first person I have seen with a Pentax other than myself. This is in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.

Although I must admit I was using my Fuji X100 recently and will be for most daily photography now, so I'm afraid the chance of seeing a Pentaxian here just went down by a lot.
06-21-2012, 07:27 PM   #1720
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
complete with vintage hipster camera strap.
I wonder what my city's youngsters would say when I bling my K2 and add a funky vintage hipster cameras strap too! =))
06-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #1721
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I will be heading to Disney world and Universal Studios next month armed with a combination of my K-5, DA 18-135mm zoom, and Battery grip only, nothing else as I want to keep everything compact and simple and just enjoy myself with my kids. I will definitely be keeping my Pentax radar up and I will let you all know how many I encounter if any.
I am buying the zoom lens and battery grip for the trip because I really want my whole set up to be WR and I really dont want to worry about the setup getting wet at water parks/rides etc... I have that much confidence in Pentax to trust the WR on my trip.

PS: the wife will be packing the K-x as well in her Lowpro toploader bag, this bag has a rain cover that she can deploy in wet areas but she will be limited to what environments she can take her camera out in, I will be the main photographer on this trip with the weather sealing on my camera(my K-5 will not ever be in a bag anyways, always at the ready), I will not even be afraid to take it on water rides where I can get some good shots of my kids having fun on those rides......really looking forward to it, this trip will be a true test as to the durability of a Pentax, and if it fails me then I will most likely leave Pentax, but I doubt it will let me down.........Pentax never has let me down in the 35 years I have been using them.

Last edited by BirdDude007; 06-23-2012 at 03:03 PM.
06-23-2012, 04:45 PM   #1722
Veteran Member

I got a photography course yesterday, there were :
- 4 canons
- 1 sony
- 1 pentax (me)

So we beat nikon, yay!

QuoteOriginally posted by zorak Quote
Been in the Smoky mountains since wed,I have seen literally dozens of Canikons of type. Not one single Pentax. I have gotten some disconcerting looks when they lay eyes on my white KR. One teenage girl came up to me though and said i had the coolest camera she had ever seen. Maybe pentax should throw some advertising bucks toward that demographic. She had never even heard of pentax.
Same for me, one of the girls (around 35-years-old) asked me for the brand because she found it cute in white

Also, the photographer told me that he started photography with a PZ-1, he is now using canon but he was pleased to see that I was able to use a film lens on my K-r (I had a A50/1.7 mounted).
06-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #1723
Veteran Member

I was at Exit Glacier in southern Alaska last weekend (you can just about drive to the base).

As far as DSLRs go...probably 60% Nikon and 40% Canon. Saw one Sony DSLR and one NEX. I was the only Pentax user I could see, though I also had my Canon 5D with me.

Lots of DSLRs though (and point and shoots too), which is interesting to see. Folks aren't ditching the bigger cameras for their smartphones just yet when they are traveling.
06-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #1724
Veteran Member

Yes we are rare

About a month ago went to the Magee Marsh near Toledo where hundreds of birders and photographers congregate. Did not see a single Pentax besides my camera. There were easily over a hundred DSLRs in there at the marsh.....

Today a wedding photog and I were chatting at an event. I was a guest without my gear, he had his D3s. "So what do you shoot?", he asks me. "Guess", I said just to see what he says. He says every single brand but Pentax! "Canon? NIkon - like me? Sony? Olympus?...................err..... Leica?" I burst out laughing and admitted that I shot Pentax!
06-24-2012, 05:35 AM   #1725
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
About a month ago went to the Magee Marsh near Toledo where hundreds of birders and photographers congregate. Did not see a single Pentax besides my camera. There were easily over a hundred DSLRs in there at the marsh.....

Today a wedding photog and I were chatting at an event. I was a guest without my gear, he had his D3s. "So what do you shoot?", he asks me. "Guess", I said just to see what he says. He says every single brand but Pentax! "Canon? NIkon - like me? Sony? Olympus?...................err..... Leica?" I burst out laughing and admitted that I shot Pentax!
I would love to go to Magee Marsh during migration.... How was it?