Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2398 Likes Search this Thread
07-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #1756
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Went on a "photo walk" with about 25 or so, there was a black k-r, I didn't get a picture of it, but I did get this even rarer gem:

the guy has a blog: Film Photography Project

07-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #1757
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Today there was the national day parade, on the Champs Elysée in Paris, France.

During that parade, which is a military parade, you can see all the differents corps of army from the republican guard on horse, to the armored vehicules like tanks.

Always a looooooot of people, and this year a big amount of Pentax from K5 to K-r /K-x even some Q
07-14-2012, 06:43 AM   #1758

contest

I noticed last night, on the USA Network show Common Law, they're having a contest and the prize is a Pentax K01.
07-17-2012, 05:20 AM   #1759
Veteran Member

I've just been to Fnac (Lausanne, Switzerland) and they have a K-01 w/ 18-55 on the display table, a K-5 w/18-55 on a shelf and a DA 55-300 in a cabinet amongst Sigma lenses .

PS Just don't touch anything too much if you visit, the alarms are very trigger-happy. Why have extendable cords then?

07-17-2012, 08:28 AM   #1760
Inactive Account

Only seen one Pentax at a convention of of about 10000 people, lost count of the canons and nikons, didn't see any sonys or sigmas (I've never seen a sigma actually) at all
07-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #1761
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Whitewind Quote
(I've never seen a sigma actually) at all
now that you mention it.. yeah, Pentax is not as rare as Sigma SLRs!
07-20-2012, 02:19 AM   #1762
Veteran Member

Last year I left the camera club I had got involved with, because of a whole lot of things. I didnt leave because I was the only Pentax shooter, but I did feel a bit lonely. I've been able to go back this year and be darned if there aren't two more K-5 users there. YAY!!

07-20-2012, 09:29 AM   #1763
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
now that you mention it.. yeah, Pentax is not as rare as Sigma SLRs!
Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a Sigma dSLR either.
07-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #1764
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen a Sigma dSLR either.
Me either and the biggest pro shop in the country is on my way home and the head office for henrys (henrys lists it on the web special order - Vistek still lists the original SD1 at 8999 - you'd think sigma would give them a credit and replace it with the current one (or a cost allowance to reduce and sell the original)
I've never seen it in Vistek so maybe they never had it and it is a phantom web listing that hasn't been corrected because no-one has asked about it )

I have seen a few leica (1 m8 2 different m9) in use, and a few in stores
never seen anyone shooting Sony FF though I have seen the cameras in stores at one point
07-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #1765
Veteran Member

I did see a SD9 and a SD10 in store, and I believe later a SD14 too. The 10 was a very nice camera, iirc it did not save to JPEG. How cool is that? Also no scene modes, instead the dial was used for the exposure time as it should be.
07-23-2012, 08:25 AM   #1766
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Also no scene modes, instead the dial was used for the exposure time as it should be.
Wow! What a novel idea! When did they come up with THAT idea! (tongue in cheek- lol!).

Regards,
07-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #1767

unfortunately canon and nikon pretty much as a lock on the US market for several reasons
1st their cameras are advertised by other photographers at sporting events at the professional which is aired nationally so naturally people think those are the best cameras since they are being used by the pros.

2nd Brand recognition because of reason 1 when people think of a camera it'll be canon and nikon because they see at the pro sports games and because of celebrity endorsement Pentax is at a disadvantage due to it being a smaller company to canon and nikon and dont have funds to advertise as heavily as they do

3rd People will choose Canon or Nikon because of their friends who are photographers (or fauxtographers) are using those brands I can a test to this kind of thing after researching for dslrs between canon, nikon, sony, and pentax I ultimately chose pentax partly because of my research and possibly a bigger part to the fact I have a friend that used a k-x now a k-5 and saw the that the images he produces with his pentax is equal to better than the canon and nikon cameras can produce (also i liked that pentax put IS and AF in the body than the len imo you cant really justify putting those features in a lens when it should be in the body)

Although I have heard pentax is much more popular in the european countries and the cameras there are a bit more diversified

we might be a few but we are a growing few
07-23-2012, 07:53 PM   #1768
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lonehawk2k4 Quote
3rd People will choose Canon or Nikon because of their friends who are photographers (or fauxtographers) are using those brands
mostly, yes. "my friend uses it, therefore it must be good" - the most common reason to get a Nikon Dxxxx or Canon xxxxD/xxxD
07-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #1769
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Recently spent 3 weeks in France (Normandy and Paris). Saw very few Pentax cameras, most were Canon's and Nikons, a few Sony and Olympus too. One item of note, saw a K-01 at Saint Mont Michel, woman was Japanese and didn't speak any english but when we say eachothers cameras we shared a common bond. It was a nice moment. I don't think any of the Canon or Nikon users were bonding together.
07-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #1770
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I spent a week in Pittsburgh hanging out with my brother. In addition to the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix we went to the Conservatory, a wonderful botanical garden. Of all the cameras at both venues I saw one Pentax, a KX carried by an Italian guy at the Conservatory. We shared the moment through the interpretation of his sister, since his English was fragmentary and my Italian is non-existent.