Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #1876
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here in this part of the world I don't think we are quite as rare. In Melbourne on Sunday there was a market for old photographic equipment and I ran into more than a dozen Pentax users like me, searching for film bodies and old glass.
Just when I thought this was the demographic for Pentax users I saw three good looking young ladies, one with a KX stormtrooper, another with a pink KR and the last with a black KR, all of them were trying out some primes on their cameras.
The amount of good Pentax gear was staggering, I purchased 3 bodies , 6 lenses and various other accessories, but the amazing thing was the demand for any-thing Pentax especially Takumars and screw mount bodies.
Glenn

09-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #1877

yeah,i think we r, and i'm very happy about that.
09-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #1878
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The long & short sad truth of it is... "Advertising Works"... and Pentax doesn't advertise… never has and probably never will. As far as the subject of which brand is more popular than another goes… Just because a particular product or brand may be the number one seller does not necessarily dictate that it is the best product. In fact this is rarely ever the case…
Simple case in point… Budweiser is the number one selling beer in America, so does this mean it’s the best beer manufactured the world over?... Not just no. but hell no… You’d never catch me drinking that swill. You will never see Bud listed as one of the best beers anywhere ever… it’s a joke in the beer manufacturing community. So why is it a number one seller? Advertising Works!
Average Joe will always follows the carrot… blindly secure in the knowledge that if everyone else is doing it or buying it, then it must be the right thing to do. Call it trend mongering, sheepling, whatever you like, it’s a sad psychological fact of life and of human nature. Corporations spend billions every year on advertising because they know for a fact that it works. People will always do what their told to do, buy what their told to buy, and vote for the guy their told to vote for… Media & Advertising Work.
"Back in the day"... Pentax didn't really need to advertise, they were big in the medium format society, and innovators in the 35mm camera world. During the 70’s & 80’s however, it always seemed like whenever Pentax would come out with something new, another leading manufacturer would copy it, advertise it, and capitalized on it… eventually pushing Pentax out of the picture.
The folks at over Pentax had better wake up soon, before the sun sets and the day is lost forever.
09-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #1879
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fastback67 Quote
The long & short sad truth of it is... "Advertising Works"... and Pentax doesn't advertise… never has and probably never will. As far as the subject of which brand is more popular than another goes… Just because a particular product or brand may be the number one seller does not necessarily dictate that it is the best product. In fact this is rarely ever the case…
Simple case in point… Budweiser is the number one selling beer in America, so does this mean it’s the best beer manufactured the world over?... Not just no. but hell no… You’d never catch me drinking that swill. You will never see Bud listed as one of the best beers anywhere ever… it’s a joke in the beer manufacturing community. So why is it a number one seller? Advertising Works!
Average Joe will always follows the carrot… blindly secure in the knowledge that if everyone else is doing it or buying it, then it must be the right thing to do. Call it trend mongering, sheepling, whatever you like, it’s a sad psychological fact of life and of human nature. Corporations spend billions every year on advertising because they know for a fact that it works. People will always do what their told to do, buy what their told to buy, and vote for the guy their told to vote for… Media & Advertising Work.
"Back in the day"... Pentax didn't really need to advertise, they were big in the medium format society, and innovators in the 35mm camera world. During the 70’s & 80’s however, it always seemed like whenever Pentax would come out with something new, another leading manufacturer would copy it, advertise it, and capitalized on it… eventually pushing Pentax out of the picture.
The folks at over Pentax had better wake up soon, before the sun sets and the day is lost forever.
Pentax advertised like crazy in the film days, at least within the photo world. Look at any old photo mag -- saturated with Pentax ads, and usually in the prime spots (inside front cover every single month of Pop Photo for years with more ads throughout). True, I don't remember any Pentax TV commercials like Canon and Minolta used to do (in America), but I have seen some old Japanese TV spots...

09-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #1880
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Pentax advertised like crazy in the film days, at least within the photo world. Look at any old photo mag -- saturated with Pentax ads, and usually in the prime spots (inside front cover every single month of Pop Photo for years with more ads throughout). True, I don't remember any Pentax TV commercials like Canon and Minolta used to do (in America), but I have seen some old Japanese TV spots...
Seen any today?
I see Nikon and Canon in the media everywhere.

You can't even find a Pentax camera for sale in my area... nobody offers them... it's all Nikon and Canon, with a smattering of Olympus, Fuji, Sony, Casio etc on the side... but no Pentax... not even a P&S... it's all mail order only around here.

Last edited by Fastback67; 09-17-2012 at 09:28 PM.
09-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #1881
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fastback67 Quote
Seen any today? I see Nikon and Canon everywhere.
Not really, but I was responding to your "never has, never will" comment and they most definitely "has" back in the day. I have seen a few ads in magazines, but who looks at photo mags anymore? I only rarely do, so they may be filled with them for all I know. The vacuum seems the worst in the USA -- other people have been posting ads on buses and such in Europe. That may change with the management of Pentax USA.

As far as Canon and Nikon, Canon has always been everywhere -- that's how they got to be Canon. As far as Nikon, I can only think of Ashton Kutcher but nothing for serious gear in the general public eye...
09-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #1882
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think the biggest problem in the USA would be, even if you did advertise as was said, there isn't any place to see the product, you have to mostly blindly order it and hope it lives up to the hype. I don't see why its so hard to at least increase the number of dealers that at least have one working display model of each of the few body types and a few lenses (even if they don't have any 645 stuff) and then order everything they sell so they don't have to commit to a stock order.
09-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #1883
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
I think the biggest problem in the USA would be, even if you did advertise as was said, there isn't any place to see the product, you have to mostly blindly order it and hope it lives up to the hype. I don't see why its so hard to at least increase the number of dealers that at least have one working display model of each of the few body types and a few lenses (even if they don't have any 645 stuff) and then order everything they sell so they don't have to commit to a stock order.
Quite so. When I bought my K10 from Adorama I had never had the chance to see the camera, let alone handle it. I relied on my previous experience with Pentax and various reviews and user comments on fora. Not the best way to make what is for many of us a fairly sizeable purchase.

I had handled the comparable Canikons and knew that I couldn't live with their dreadful viewfinders, having been used to the LX and MX.

Pentax: Truly a window on the world!

09-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #1884

It is my understanding that this is the reason Pentax went to standardized pricing (as Nikon and Cannon have). Previously the bricks and morter places could not compete with the mail order pricing of Pentax equipment. The standardized pricing levels the playing field and opens up more opportunity for local camera stores to carry Pentax. Will this work; I hope so.
09-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #1885
Pentaxian

Hoya really dropped the ball with the B&M stores -- they all say the sales reps stopped coming and wouldn't work the stores in a reasonable way to make it feasible to carry the stuff, so they stopped. I was able to handle the K10D at Mike's camera in Denver, but after that model, no Pentax. Ricoh will have to hire an army of guys to go around and play nice with all the stores that are still out there.
09-18-2012, 09:37 AM   #1886
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hoya really dropped the ball with the B&M stores -- they all say the sales reps stopped coming and wouldn't work the stores in a reasonable way to make it feasible to carry the stuff, so they stopped. I was able to handle the K10D at Mike's camera in Denver, but after that model, no Pentax. Ricoh will have to hire an army of guys to go around and play nice with all the stores that are still out there.
I heard a similar story from folks at Showcase, here in the Atlanta area. Can't say I blame them for dropping the line if Pentax/Hoya wouldn't "talk" to them. Helluva way to run a business!
09-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #1887
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As far as Canon and Nikon, Canon has always been everywhere -- that's how they got to be Canon. As far as Nikon, I can only think of Ashton Kutcher but nothing for serious gear in the general public eye...
Odd... back when I was shooting film, Canon was an underdog... Leica & Nikon were the kings of the 35mm format, at least according to them. Nikon users would normally admit that the Nikon body was no better or worse than a comparable Pentax, but when push came to shove, the classic defense was always the same.. "You can't beat Nikon Glass"... Ha,ha!
Pentax always got at least one add in the local rag, but they never got the coverage that you saw with Nikon.

When I said Pentax "never has and probably never will", I was referring to Television ads and the like... sorry for any confusion, my fault, I should have been more specific.

Last edited by Fastback67; 09-18-2012 at 12:12 PM.
09-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #1888
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dealers follow trends just like everyone else... In most cases they are not going to put it on their shelves unless their is a driven advertised market to boost sales of the product.

Last edited by Fastback67; 09-18-2012 at 12:23 PM.
09-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #1889
Veteran Member

Its going to be somewhat humorous when Pentax does start advertising and people realize there is nowhere to actually buy the products. I assume they will have to grow from the areas where they still have footholds, and likely will have great difficulty adding entirely new areas.
09-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #1890
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in Manila they have several print ads usually showing up in malls, and occasional billboards. Still, the brand's got close to zero recognition here, to the public eye that is.