Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #1891
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was in a security supplier branch here in Dallas picking up some stuff, when I caught myself staring toward one of the salesmen. I took me a while to figure at what I was staring at; a Pentax poster! I'm so used to seeing the Pentax logo on my equipment and on the web, that I felt weird seeing a printed ad. It was for Pentax's CCTV lenses, which I didn't even know existed.
Point being: Yes Pentax advertising is very lacking, especially in the DFW area, so much that someone who has been exposed to the brand since birth is dumbfounded when discovering it outside.

09-18-2012, 07:34 PM   #1892
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
It was for Pentax's CCTV lenses, which I didn't even know existed.
CCTV lenses? whoa. Didn't know about that too. Was it branded as a Ricoh product also or under Hoya?
09-19-2012, 04:12 AM   #1893
Veteran Member

It was a simple poster with just the Pentax logo on top. Apparently they make a couple of universal box camera lenses. The salesman said that he's seen examples shots from the lenses and prefers Pentax over Tamron and Sony. I told him that Pentax has a little more experience in the lens department.
09-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #1894
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
B&M Stores

I do not remember where I got this info. (from the camera store owner in Vermont or the one here in my town in Virginia, from this forum?), and I also don't know the proper business terminology, but it was my understanding that Pentax required store owners to actually buy all of the merchandise they sold, whereas Canon and Nikon would stock the product and it was paid for as the product was sold. I know somebody out there could phrase that more skillfully than I did, but if that was true and I owned a store, I'd probably stock Canon and Nikon too because you wouldn't be taking risk that you would with Pentax. Did I just make this story up or can anybody confirm that this was/is the Pentax business strategy?

09-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #1895
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I remember reading this here too. Possibly in the same thread.
09-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #1896
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jjhenders Quote
I do not remember where I got this info. (from the camera store owner in Vermont or the one here in my town in Virginia, from this forum?), and I also don't know the proper business terminology, but it was my understanding that Pentax required store owners to actually buy all of the merchandise they sold, whereas Canon and Nikon would stock the product and it was paid for as the product was sold. I know somebody out there could phrase that more skillfully than I did, but if that was true and I owned a store, I'd probably stock Canon and Nikon too because you wouldn't be taking risk that you would with Pentax. Did I just make this story up or can anybody confirm that this was/is the Pentax business strategy?
Yeah, I've heard that several times. At this point, Pentax needs to send reps into the stores and ask, "What do you need from us in order for you to stock Pentax, and what on top of that do you need to actually PUSH Pentax?"
09-19-2012, 12:48 PM   #1897

Dodd camera with several locations in Cleveland and Dayton, OH areas is now carring a full line of Pentax.
Even a little camera store in Lima, Oh carries pentax DSLR's
09-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #1898
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
At this point, Pentax needs to send reps into the stores and ask, "What do you need from us in order for you to stock Pentax, and...
Buyers.

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
...what on top of that do you need to actually PUSH Pentax?"
Kickbacks.

09-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #1899
Veteran Member

I have only ever seen two Pentax DSLRs in my life, and they are both mine.
09-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #1900
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I saw someone using a Red K-R at the Carlisle All Chrysler Nationals in PA. this year... I was stunned, I thought maybe I was seeing things at first, but sure enough... it was a Pentax!
09-19-2012, 03:47 PM   #1901
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lister6520 Quote
I have only ever seen two Pentax DSLRs in my life, and they are both mine.
Not knowing how often you get off your island (a place I would LOVE to visit some time), you may need to do so!

I live in the Hudson Valley north of NYC and have seen about 4 total, and this includes the two from the photo classes I teach! We are a rare breed!

Regards,
09-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #1902
Veteran Member

Met another K5 user yesterday and a girl with an ME... Was working the Arts on Campus stall at Freshers Fayre and this guy walks up with a K5 and a 10-17 fisheye... 10 minutes later a girl with an ME super...

Think the US must have less Pentax shooters per square mile than the UK cos I'm seeing them fairly regular now...
09-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #1903

I saw 3 Pentax dslr's at my sisters house on my August visit: self, neice and nephew
09-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #1904
Veteran Member

I went to a big camera store in a city close to Montreal and I was looking at cameras displayed there. There was a good portion reserved to Pentax. What I found funny was that they don't carry Nikon at all. There was every brand you could imagine even Fuji x-pro. But no Nikon.
09-22-2012, 07:03 AM   #1905
Pentaxian

I saw many pentax shooters yesterday, so many that I even lost count

It might have something to do with that I was at the Photokina