Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #181
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Estonia the Pentaxians are a minority too compared to Canikonians. But Pentax market share here is somewhat bigger thanks to our biggest chain of photo-stores which has done a good job promoting Pentax.

I have the privilege of knowing two other pentaxians (a married couple), in fact, in our small friendly group of amateur photographers Pentax is the majority - 3 Pentax users (K-x, K200D and K10D) versus one Nikon (D3) and one Canon (EOS 50D). I also talked a friend of mine into buying a K-x as her first DSLR.

08-14-2010, 11:50 PM   #182
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Today is World Pentax Day, and also Vietnam Veteran's Day here in Adelaide, Australia.

Wandering around, taking photos today, I saw 3 other people shooting with Pentax DSLR's.

Cheers, John
08-15-2010, 01:43 AM   #183
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
it's true. only Nikon makes sharp lenses because that's the only lenses that he had ever used.

Phil, if I were a member of your club, in the spirit of good will, I would lend him my Pentax dslr for a day along with the A*200/4 macro. ok, maybe that's a bit of an overkill, I'll just lend him maybe a DA35, FA31, FA77, DA*55, FA50 macro, SMCT 85/1.8, SMC Pentax M85/2, SMC A* 85/1.4, A* 135/1.8, etc...

at the end of the day, and he still says that Nikon still has the sharper lenses, check his bag for any good shit that he might be taking.
Oh, he's really a pretty nice guy despite that one irritating issue. He's taught several of us how to use Lightroom, which was a big assist for me at the time. Noone's perfect.

on the other hand, i'm going to push through a club resolution for an honorary membership for you, so the rest of us Pentaxians can borrow from you - nice collection by the way
08-15-2010, 02:51 AM   #184
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
We seem to have to alot of Pentaxians from NZ and AUS represented well on the forum.
I think it to do with the whole underdog mentality here.
no underdogs on this side of the Tasman Cobba

Pete

08-15-2010, 03:01 AM   #185
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
There's always an abundance of Pentax shooters in Singapore.
A fraction of the horde who turned up to shoot macro at yesterday's monthly group outing...

We definitely know how to "Be Interesting"...
[url]http://farm5.static.flickr.com
All blokes but one there, maybe the girls were in a separate horde ?

Pete
08-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
All blokes but one there, maybe the girls were in a separate horde ?

Pete
Nah, most girls aren't into macro photography... but we do have a number of lady Pentaxians in our group.
08-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #187
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Not so much distain but more "why in the world would a serious photographer NOT buy Canikon??"

Are we really that sparse out in the world?
My question would be "Why woud a serious photographer be concerned about camera brand rather than how to best capture the types of imagery he/she wants?"

A serious photographer doesn't waste precious resources obsessing over technical potential that will never be used, nor spend money replacing good lenses if he/she can update a body within an existing brand. Not all photographers have the same needs, just as there is no one-size-fits-all camera. Brand is pretty unimportant. Suitability to task is important. If the photography is inteded to be a business, cost is important. As humans, we tend to assume that what works for us is what everyone else should be using, too. For a professional to do this reveals something between insecurity and ignorance, in my view. I don't see myself as a Pentax fanboy. I already have the lenses, and I like Pentax's performance per dollar either way.

08-15-2010, 07:07 PM   #188
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Rare.. quite rare, but occassionally there are some could be seen in the wild. I guess you all need to go outside with your camera more often to be seen :P

Saw this the other day.

08-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #189

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxpup Quote
Rare.. quite rare, but occassionally there are some could be seen in the wild. I guess you all need to go outside with your camera more often to be seen :P

Saw this the other day.
The camera is interesting, too.
08-15-2010, 08:20 PM   #190
Veteran Member

Apart from my friend and my wife's uncle, I don't recall seeing another Pentaxian in Hawaii...

Last edited by HawaiianOnline; 08-15-2010 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Did not want to double post
08-16-2010, 12:24 AM   #191

so glad to see
more and more people are now using the Kx here!

its very funny Pentax cameras are made in the philippines
yet prices here are way too high, parts are very scarce and people aren't even that aware of the brand
08-16-2010, 01:31 AM   #192
Veteran Member

Saw this the other day.
Unfortunately, as the camera in your post is a fairly good one, the lens is one (if not the) of the worst in Pentax line-up. I hope that person will upgrade to the new Kx (at least)
08-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #193
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ManhattanProject Quote
The camera is interesting, too.
Lol... now now... but yes!
08-16-2010, 08:49 AM   #194
Veteran Member

Saw this the other day.
Sorry, I don't know the Pentax line or its history as well as some here. What model IS that camera? Is it an older Pentax film camera?

Will

p.s. I don't recall ever seeing a camera with the hot shoe off on the side of the body. Might not be a bad idea, actually....
08-16-2010, 08:56 AM   #195
Veteran Member

Just spend the Sunday to visit Quebec city, the old town... I was actually surprised to see a good bunch of Pentax shooters... At one point i've even saw a couple, where the women had a D700, but the guy was shooting with the K100d/D40 combo... During the whole day i've noticed a sh@#t load of Rebels, a huge variety of Nikons ranging from D1 to the most recent ones, some Sony-s, even a couple of A900-s... attached to tourists from Japan most of the time... and a fair number (more than Sony-s) of Pentax-es... not including my-self though... I was really tempted to go back, but it doesn't make much sense price wise....