Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2399 Likes Search this Thread
01-20-2013, 12:12 PM - 1 Like   #2026
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Panteg Quote
It's nice to be different isn't it!
In many ways they are not wrong to do that (suggest only Canon or Nikon). If I knew nothing of brands, and was talked into buying a Pentax, I might be kinda pissed later if I found out no one else has one and there wasn't too much support, etc compared to the big guys. If I was making a fully informed choice, then fine -- I'm sure most of here did. Of course, if you are relying on any salesman to fully inform you about anything, you're a bit foolish...

01-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #2027
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't blame them if their shop doesn't sell Pentax, or if they even know it. The first time I went looking for a DSLR, I was lucky enough to see one carrying Pentax. It was the name itself that drew me into the brand. Because it was simply... different. Not a Canon, not a Nikon. That time, even Fuji had gone off the mainstream, with the S5 as their last. Sony was way overpriced for its specs. Olympus seemed to be at a standstill with the E-3 and E-30.

Strangely enough the fact that it took me a month or so before I saw another Pentax in the field didn't bother me at all =))
01-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #2028
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob photo 4 life Quote
KX instead.
That is a film camera from the seventies.
01-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #2029

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Sony was way overpriced for its specs.
IMHO this is the case with most Sony gear, independently if its stereos, cameras or whatever. I personally dislike the brand: overrated, overpriced, under quality, under design.

01-21-2013, 02:07 PM   #2030
Veteran Member

Gold is rare!!
01-21-2013, 04:08 PM   #2031
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some follow trends, others lead a different path.
01-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #2032
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A funny thing happened on the way back from the BluesTrain...

My partner and I went on a jaunt this weekend (Australia Day Long Weekend in these parts) to fulfill one of my 'bucket list' items and attend the legendary Blues Train. To get to the location from where I live one either has to make a long drive all the way through the huge metropolis of Melbourne, out the other side, head south for an hour or so, then head east out on a peninsula to arrive at Queenscliff. or one chooses to make a shorter drive, take a ferry across the entrance of Port Phillip Bay and relax and take photo's during the 30 minute crossing. We chose the latter, and also for the return journey.

On the return Journey, I was taking some pics with the 60-250, when I spot this bloke, with his K-x and kit lens. Of course I strike up a conversation and learn that he chose Pentax as he had lenses left over from a film era camera, and thy would be compatible.

Nice one! a Pentax Shooter. A rarity one may think...

Imagine my surprise when, just as we were about to dock, a second fellow approached us in our conversation wielding a K-7! That's right folks, three Pentax shooters on one Ferry crossing, We were the only DSLR people on board that I saw. 100% Pentax and proud!

I happened to be wearing one of my Pentax Forums T shirts, so this place will also hopefully be getting a couple of new members as well.

Pardon the lack of quality of this snap, I only took one shot, and I forgot I had the meter biased +1.7 stops. The combination of this, the blacks of the clothes and the bright background totally threw the exposure.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by wizofoz; 01-27-2013 at 10:14 PM.
01-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #2033
Veteran Member

Happy Australia Day! I celebrated with my Aussie buddy yesterday.

I was on a chat room (yes, they still exist) during the 24 hours of Daytona yesterday and found a Brit with an ME Super and an Aussie with a new K-30.
01-27-2013, 09:31 PM   #2034
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well I was at the CARnivale on Macquarie Street on Saturday, and I saw 3 Pentax DSLR, a young guy with a white K-r with matching kit lens, an older guy with a K100D with what looks like a Sigma zoom lens, and get this, a guy with a K-5 or K-7 with a silver FA31 mounted, of course everyone and their dogs are with DSLR these days, and yes most of them are Canikons...
01-27-2013, 10:46 PM   #2035
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yesterday I talked to one of my friends who recently got a K1000. It replaced a camera that got her into the K-mount system, some Hanimex with a 50/2 that looked and felt exactly like the M50/2 from about 1979. She got the Hanimex and lens for $20 at a pawnbroker, but after a while the shutter failed, and ... Along the way she got more stuff. I was using my K100DS with TeleTak 300/5.6 for some indoor work. I got some good enough to show to people, handheld at 1/15 or 1/25 and some rubbish.
01-28-2013, 12:08 PM   #2036
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Some follow trends, others lead a different path.
Beautiful!
01-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #2037
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Last night I was watching that guy that does articles on animals Austin Stevens, he was out on the Savana Desert and chasing down leopards, when he stopped and pulled out his DSLR I noticed it was a Samsung and I wasn't paying attention to the lens, a little while later he pulled out his camera again and from the side I noticed the name "Pentax" on the lens, from what I gather it was most likely a DA 300mm F4 lens. The view the audience got of the lens was enough to classify this article as an "advertisement" for Pentax, he was taking many shots with it and you could really see the name on it really well.
01-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #2038
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had to go to the vet this Sat. to get some med. for the dogwhile I was waiting for the perscription to be filled I talked with the receptionest. She mentioned that photography was a hobby, and that she was taking a class She had her k1000 50/2 lens with her. That makes three here using Pentax. not bad for a town of 110,000+ people
01-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #2039

QuoteOriginally posted by fortisizando Quote
I had never seen any Pentaxians in my life, never until I got into college. Never until I got into my second year (which is now :P).

I saw that other Pentaxian at my college campus back then. He was a metallurgy major kid, the same year with me (second year). He was filming a video with a Pentax K-r and a manual lens (I don't know what lens it was). I was merely peering him from afar, not even daring to ask or starting a conversation. I was just peering.

And shortly after I was inaugurated as my major's student union member, my student union held an event. I was taking my K10D, and then one of my friends looked at it and said "It's a rarity to see people shooting with a Pentax DSLR".

Well, there you go. I think you can see how lonely I am as a Pentaxian. Everywhere I peer during some events (or peering on huge crowd brandishing some DSLRs), all I see is people carrying Canikons/Sony. While then there are other rare DSLR, it happens to be an Olympus. Sometimes it just gets me to sadness when thinking how lonely I am as a Pentaxian .
Ha. I just switched from Olympus. They have similar discussions in their groups. I'd still be shooting Olympus if they priced the E5 in the same range of the K5. Their glass is quite good. The barrel distortion and flare I encountered with my Tamron 17-50 was a bit of a shock after using Oly glass for years. Olympus seems to be interested in killing off 4/3, so in that respect it was a bad choice. They didn't give me a reasonable upgrade path so I moved on. I'll shoot whatever I feel is giving me the best bang for the buck. Right now that is Pentax.
01-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #2040
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another class of mine started this week. 16 students and only one Pentax (K7, mine!). Everything else were Canikons! One more class starts next week, stay tuned!

Regards,