Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2395 Likes Search this Thread
02-12-2013, 04:21 PM   #2056
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote

I teach a course in photography for property managers (mostly shots used in court). The vast majority of the class is younger and looks at my collection of Pentax cameras as though they were seeing something very exotic. The most often received question I get is not about the course but why I use a Pentax instead of a "name" brand. My answer is usually that I like it, but I am not the maverick I appear. When I picked that system, I was picking the most popular SLR in the world.
You could always tell them when they ask "why Pentax instead of a name brand?" Because Pentax are by invatation only and not everybody gets an invatation.

02-12-2013, 05:11 PM   #2057

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Walmart doesn't sell Pentax here... The majority of people wielding Canikon's buy them there and never take them out of AUTO mode.
02-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #2058

We are that rare. BUT! We are quality over quantity. Those who shoot Pentax choose to shoot Pentax.
02-13-2013, 03:45 AM   #2059

Photos: Albums
Saw this old post on DPR:
YES - and have a market in the size of CANIKONY: Sony Alpha SLR/SLT Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Sound familliar?

02-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #2060

I personally don't care if we (Pentax users) are rare. I own a K-30 because it's a camera that has the features and price point I was looking for. Pentax has the lenses I want. I researched before I bought, then I bought what I wanted. I'm not usually swayed by advertising or because everyone else has a "______". There are many DSLRs out there. But look at the DxOMark website and check the camera sensor ratings. There are 4 Pentax cameras in the top 20. And there are big guns up there.....Phase Ones and full frame Nikons. The K-5II and K-5IIs were ranked ahead of ALL the Canons. My little K-30 was ranked 32nd. Pretty impressive for a mid-line "amateur" camera. So, I don't ever have to justify my camera choice to anyone. I just know that I like the way my camera feels in my hands, and the way it performs. GO Pentax!
02-13-2013, 12:39 PM   #2061
Veteran Member

I kind of enjoy the rarity. Every time I mention Pentax around my photog friends they are always confused as to why I stick with it.
02-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #2062
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NitroDC Quote
Every time I mention Pentax around my photog friends they are always confused as to why I stick with it.
When they ask, "Why," just say, "Because Pentax makes a better camera in every way than [name of brand on the other person's faceplate]." Then just keep saying, "Yes, mine is better!"

Kettle, meet the stick.

02-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #2063

Due to education funding in Texas being on hold for a while, I am still shooting with a N----. I am extremely impressed with what I see from the K-5 II and K-5 IIS and the K 30. I absolutely refuse to part with the K1000 and ME Super I obtained in the early 1980s. The ME Super is still a dream to use. I keep hoping to make the switch to the K-5 II soon. I would love some Limited to go with it! Thanks for including those of us who are analog Pentaxians!
02-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #2064
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Silvertooth Quote
...... Thanks for including those of us who are analog Pentaxians!
Nah, it's us who are grateful to analogue stalwarts
02-14-2013, 06:38 AM   #2065
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Silvertooth Quote
Due to education funding in Texas being on hold for a while, I am still shooting with a N----. I am extremely impressed with what I see from the K-5 II and K-5 IIS and the K 30. I absolutely refuse to part with the K1000 and ME Super I obtained in the early 1980s. The ME Super is still a dream to use. I keep hoping to make the switch to the K-5 II soon. I would love some Limited to go with it! Thanks for including those of us who are analog Pentaxians!
You can always look for a used K-5, they're still a fine camera. Once (if) the situation in Texas improves, of course.
02-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #2066
Veteran Member

Sometimes I wish someone would ask me why I shoot Pentax. That would give me a reason to bash the other brands Except for Sony, which strangely I respect, sort of.

I think I saw a Pentax yesterday in Singapore, but I have only seen red wording on a strap. Otherwise there were surprisingly few Pentaxes, usually I see at least 2 or so...
02-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #2067
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had coffee yesterday with my cousin, Don Sylvester, who's an accomplished shooter, many awards, etc. We talked photography, what a surprise!, and he was favorably impressed with my K5 and admired the LX. While a Canonite, he's OK. He was sporting the Olympus OM-D a nice little piece, and gave me first refusal on a Mamiya 7 kit with three lenses. I told him that I couldn't afford to pay him a fair price. Lemme tell you, that hurt!

Now this is a guy who knows his stuff even though he took the "wrong path."
02-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #2068
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Our man in Afghanistan!

Visiting my local Barnes and Noble today I picked up the Winter 2013 issue of c't Digital Photography and noted an article on slow speed shooting. Making the Most of Handheld Long Exposures - Issue 10 (2013) - c't Digital Photography Opening to the page I noted ... a Pentax K-5 with a fine-looking zoom being used by a fine-looking shooter. I read the article; the gist was that slow speed shooting is much like target shooting with a rifle. I agree, having shot competitive target - not terribly well - in college. Alexander Jansen made very good points. A sidebar at the end ot the article revealed that he'd recently returned from duty in Afghanistan.

Isn't this our very own Heie who's regaled with posts from 'stan? And buried his K-5s in the sand? Welcome home, brother! And thanks for the great article.
02-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #2069
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
You could always tell them when they ask "why Pentax instead of a name brand?" Because Pentax are by invatation only and not everybody gets an invatation.
By invitation... <ROFL>...I'm going to steal that line, yessir.
02-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #2070
Forum Member

since I started Pentax 5 years ago, I have 5 friends/relatives get pentax for themselve

so, in my particular case, not that rare! :-D